It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Chief condemns Israel after Bloody day in Gaza

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

U.N. Chief condemns Israel after Bloody day in Gaza

www.reuters.com

GAZA (Reuters) - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned Israel for using "excessive" force in the Gaza Strip and demanded a halt to its offensive after troops killed 61 people on the bloodiest day for Palestinians since the 1980s.

Addressing an emergency session of the Security Council in New York after four days of fighting in which 96 Palestinians have been killed, many of them civilians, Ban also called on Gaza's Islamist militants to stop firing rockets.

The 1.5 million Palestinians crammed into the blockaded, 45 km (30-mile) sliver of coast, enjoyed a relative respite early on Sunday from Israeli air strikes and raids. Two Israeli soldiers died in a ground assault on Saturday. An Israeli civilian was killed by a rocket in a border town on Wednesday.

"While recognizing Israel's right to defend itself, I condemn the disproportionate and excessive use of force that has killed and injured so many civilians, including children ... I call on Israel to cease such attacks," said Ban.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This is the second time in the past week or two that a U.N. head has spoken out about Israels over the top aggression towards the palestinians. It seems to be falling on deaf ears, but hopefully something can be done to at least lessen the loss of civilian life on both sides. I don't care what either side may have done, killing kids is unacceptable.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Iran leader calls on Muslims to hit Israel "in face"

TEHRAN, March 2 (Reuters) - Iran's supreme leader on Sunday called on Muslims to rise up and their leaders to hit Israel "in the face with their nations' anger" over the Jewish state's offensive in Gaza that has killed more than 100 Palestinians.

Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei also blamed Iran's other arch foe, the United States, for the violence in Gaza.

"It is with the support of that (the U.S.) oppressive government that the Zionists (Israel) are committing these unforgivable sins with impudence," a statement read out on state television quoted him as saying.

"The Islamic (people) must rise and the Islamic leaders must hit the occupying regime in the face with their nations' anger," Khamenei's statement said.

wiredispatch.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

Whenever hamas wants to stop with their constant rocket attacks against civilian targets and agree to enter peace talks with Israel then I am sure Israel will quit going after these terrorists and killing them.

Whenever hezbollah wants to return the soldiers they illegally kidnapped from Israel and quit being iran's proxy in their illegal war vs Israel then perhaps some peace and stability will come to the region.

The fact remains that the muslims have been the aggressors in the region since 47 and they are frustrated that they are incapable of attaining their ultimate goal of the genocide of Israel.

Its really amusing to listen to iran crying about US support for Israel all the while they are supporting hezbollah and the arabs enjoyed support from the Soviets during the cold war. Another fine example of these countries crying about Israel getting support in the same fashion they get it from others.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Regardless, I find it unsettling that as Isreal's backer, the US, doesnt voice disdain over the many civilian deaths. IT's another example showing that the US Government really doesnt care about individual lives...the means justify the ends.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Yet look at why the civilian losses are high. hamas is to blame since they use them as human shields. hamas cares nothing for their people and has no qualms about using them as fodder in an attempt to foster sympathy from the international community about how Israel is killing them. Even though they themselves target only civilians with their rocket attacks. It is only because they are inept fighters and weak with their combat abilities that Israel hasn't had high civilian losses. Same goes for hezbollah.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by damaged petals

They have been taking these rocket attacks for over a year. Its about high time Israel respond to this terrorism. Hammas has hit school after school in Sedrot so don't give me any crying and whining about Hammas letting kids get hurt because thats what they are doing, Firing from roof tops of apartment buildings and school grounds. If the ignorant people did think Israel was going to hit back then thats their fault. Hammas is good at killing its own people and blaming it on Israel as well.
The U.N. is such a joke. They watch Hammas shoot rockets at Israel for over a year and barely say a word then Israel says enough is enough and does something about it and the U.N. bashes them. I say its high time to evict the U.N. from the U.S. and tell them to go eat desert sand.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Listen to yourselves.

Does it matter WHO has killed whose kids in greater numbers? Its not a competition.

If Israel really is 'going after the terrorists' (and who could possibly criticise them for that?) then why don't they do it properly? They have access to the same precision guided munitions that the US dazzled everyone with in the two wars against Iraq, they say they know who is to blame, so why are they randomly targetting civillians and killing youngsters?

'Because they did it first' is an argument that should not last beyond the school playground, as a highly developed and technological nation Israel should not be resorting to tit for tat random attacks, especially as EVERYONE knows that the terrorists care not a jot for the people that Israel are attacking so not only is it callous and murderous, it is pointless as well.

Israel loses the moral high ground every time it resorts to these tactics because the only people suffering are the helpless and innocent civilians on both sides, especially when Hamas decides to 'retaliate' as if they have been personally offended (which also makes me sick).

Do you really think that what Israel is doing in response to these attacks is right and justifiable? Or even worse, that it can EVER lead to a satisfactory solution?

I'm buggered if I know what would solve the problem (if I did I would be very very rich) but justifying civilian deaths in the way I have just seen in the posts above is despicable.

[edit on 2-3-2008 by waynos]

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Who said that Israel isnt using precision guided munitions??

What use are precision guided munitions when Palestinian bomb makers use school and nurseries as their bomb making plants ? When a bomb maker is killed in a house with a 12 month old child people dont see the death of the bomb maker as a success but rather the death of the 12 month old child. Who's fault is it to use children and women as a cover against attack ??

What about the constant rocket attacks on Israeli civilian populations ?? Where is your sanctimonious advise there ? What people should be thankful for is not carpet bombing the entire area once and for all to end this madness. These bomb makers work with impunity in these places. If the parents really cared about their children they would throw these bomb makers out of their homes and out of sight from their kids. They dont care. Why should Israel ??

Edit: In their war of attrition, there is no such thing as a civilian and a non-civilian. They all support terrorists directly or indirectly in committing their acts of terrorism. Naturally, when justice is brought upon them, they all will pay.

[edit on 2-3-2008 by IAF101]

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

Let me just say that I understand the context of your post and what you are driving at. However hamas is using their own kids and people as a means of waging their war against Israel. They know that there terrorism will draw little attention, but they also know they can play on the false sympathies of the west and the UN when there launch sites are bombed and the human shields they are using are killed make for great TV and propaganda against Israel. It is a new type of warfare that they prefer to wage. One that hezbollah waged as well against Israel. They force Israel into an armed response then use it against them in the court of world opinion to 'show' how Israel targets innocents, even though hamas and hezbollah are doing the exact same thing.

The world needs to wake up and see this type of warfare for what it is, it is dishonorable and cowardly.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I think tthe Israelis are seriously fed up with the crazy countries always bullying them. They are fighting back and I hope America has their back. I don't think they have ever had peace over there.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
i think multi denominational zionists use the good everyday zionists and jews that live in Isreal as a cover for any violence they do.

It seem's they are pretty corrupt and anytime someone call's them on it they shout anti-semitism. It would be funny were it not that they use innocent decent people as their "criticism shield". I think many of these people even defend them cause they wouldn't feel safe contemplating wether their leaders may not have their best intrests in mind. and not feeling safe from your gov't may not be an option those in Isreal are willing to contemplate, although i'm willing to bet most citizens may not "love" their leaders either. But like U.S citizens who don't think it is an OPTION that our own intelligence agency's could have allowed or fabricated 9/11 (i don't think it was bush) it may just be something too painful to imagine.

new topics

top topics

join