It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DIGGing Threads On AboveTopSecret.com

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Integrated DIGGing has returned to AboveTopSecret.com in a more intelligent and seamless way.

We're introduced a new DIGG.com badge within the first post of young threads (less than 20 days old) to provide an easy means to introduce new and original ATS content to DIGG.com, as well as provide a seamless way to "DIGG UP" that content from within ATS.

As many of our members and visitors are aware, DIGG.com is an increasingly popular site that aggregates user-submitted web pages and enables the users and readers of DIGG.com to rank the importance of the pages. There are several topical categories on DIGG.com, but the emphasis is always on new and original content.

Here are some general guidelines

ONLY DIGG ORIGINAL CONTENT: This can be a very effective method for increasing the awareness of the excellent work of our members, however, it works best if we focus on opening posts that feature original content. So it's best to refrain from DIGGing opening posts that are mostly external content from other websites. However, if the author of the opening post provided an excellent and uniquely important commentary on the external content (as our members usually do), then it's a great candidate for DIGGing.

USE THE ATS THREAD TITLE: When completing your submission on DIGG.com, make sure you use the actual title of the thread here on ATS in the "Title" field on the DIGG.com submission form.

USE A SNIPPET FROM THE POST AUTHOR: When you're submitting the thread, make sure you copy-and-past a portion of the original text from our ATS member into the "Description" field on the DIGG.com submission form.

PICK A GOOD IMAGE: The DIGG.com submission form allows you to pick one of the images they've captured from the page you're submitting. Usually the forum icon is picked, and that's often the best image to use.

DEFINE THE RELEVANT TOPIC: Your DIGG.com submission has a much better chance of getting noticed if you place it into the relevant topical category. Many regular visitors and users of DIGG.com regularly go past the home page into their favorite sections and categories.

IF DIGG.COM FINDS A REPEAT POSTING, DON'T SUBMIT: After you submit the thread to DIGG.com, their code will search their submissions for very-similar or identical submissions. Sometimes, astute visitors to ATS will submit hot stories all on their own, or, our thread will be so similar to a submission from another Blog that it appears identical. If this happens, don't sweat it, we've got lots more where that came from. But, if DIGG is mistaken, and you think our thread is much different that the similar submissions they found, go ahead and continue your submission.

Some amazing threads have been "DUGG" into national prominence here on ATS. An excellent example is the Barksdale Missile Number Six: The Stolen Nuclear Weapon thread which appeared on the home page of DIGG.com for nearly two days, and currently has over 1,000 different websites linking to it.

Disclaimers:

You must have a DIGG.com membership to submit and DIGG stories.

We're only putting the DIGG badge in the opening posts of threads less than 20 days old.

Threads from some forums are not "DIGGable".

DIGG.com has a tendency to refuse controversial submissions such as 9/11 conspiracies and topics related to Scientology-Anonymous.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I disagree about Digg "refusing" controversial submissions. Yes they often get buried quickly because the user base finds them disagreeable, that is quite distinct from some sort of automatic or meta censor.

Glad Digg link is back, makes things a little easier! I tend to bounce between often.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mainer
I disagree about Digg "refusing" controversial submissions. Yes they often get buried quickly because the user base finds them disagreeable, that is quite distinct from some sort of automatic or meta censor.

Glad Digg link is back, makes things a little easier! I tend to bounce between often.

But then again, I really don't see anything too controversial on these forums.

I mean I'd say half of the people on this forum believe in the reptilian race, so according too any media we're crazy.

[edit on 2-3-2008 by Prophet-Ezekiel]

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
How do I get a Digg account set up? Once I have one will the option automatically appear on this forum where otherwise it will not? I have seen it around, just never used it before.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Question, SO:

Are you guys manually assigning these Diggs badges? Or is it in the code to be done automatically?

The reason I ask is I notice that while a badge was assigned to my thread Emergency Alert System: Check your email or die? in which there was substantial original content, there is not one on what has now become my most flagged thread ever:

Twenty-five U.S. Military Officers Challenge Official Account of 9/11

So there is no relationship between flags and assignment of diggs badges?

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
So there is no relationship between flags and assignment of diggs badges?

No, the relationship is forum-centric, and age-centric.

Since the news forum is typically based on articles that will likely already have been submitted to DIGG by other persons, the DIGG.com widgets are not showing up there.

And if your other threads or more than 20 days old, the badge will also not show up.

On the bright side... the badges are showing up in the podcasts forum.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Ok, thanks once again. With that news, then I can see the need to get stuff moved out of the BAN forum within 20 days, if the diggs widget is going to help bring exposure at all. So these badges disappear after 20 days?

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
So these badges disappear after 20 days?

Only because DIGG encourages the submission of new content. With that in mind, there's no reason to put the widgets on old threads.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
On the bright side... the badges are showing up in the podcasts forum.

Understood.
I digg it.

I guess I'll have to go get a diggs account, if you think that's a good thing, which obviously you do. With that genius of a mind you have, seems to me an automatic Diggs encoding form could come up, with all the pertinent information already filled in. Any chance of that?

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
You must have a DIGG.com membership to submit and DIGG stories.

I just created a digg account today and it was a painless process. I used my real e-mail but made up a name, my location, postal code, birthday etc... Hopefully my account won't be deleted. I see no reason for a site to collect the information.

I have a question on "Digg etiquette".

Is it ok to digg your own thread or do we need to wait for some generous soul to do it for us?

I feel that once a thread has been submitted to Digg it will be dugg by others but if they have to go through the process of submission with an explanatory paragraph etc it will languish until someone makes the effort.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
Is it ok to digg your own thread or do we need to wait for some generous soul to do it for us?

I feel that once a thread has been submitted to Digg it will be dugg by others but if they have to go through the process of submission with an explanatory paragraph etc it will languish until someone makes the effort.

I have mixed feelings about getting a diggs account. On one hand, we want to get exposure, but on the other, I am not so sure I want to invest my time in helping to build a website that doesn't even want to accept the more controversial topics that ATS thrives on. What about reddit? They the same? I also question if too much exposure too soon may hurt us more than help us. It would seem that the tremendous growth of ATS has already considerably increased the workload on the mods. Are we in a position to accept even more members in droves, realistically?

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
See.

I went ahead and Dugg my own thread and within 10 minutes it had four Diggs.

It sat there all day getting flags and stars but it wasn't until someone took the time to submit it to Digg that people started to Digg it.

Now, I was patient and waited until I saw a real interest in my work (14 flags and many stars) before considering a Digg.

However, this little experiment of mine shows that once a thread is accepted by Digg and all people have to do is click on the icon, it will quickly garner the Digg votes.

Therefore, I fear that we may end up with a situation where every member who starts a thread also Diggs it in which case Digg may cut us off again for flooding their site. On the other hand without taking that step a thread may never be Dugg.

How to resolve this problem?
Or is it a problem?

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I was just about to post a new thread with my Digg questions until I found this one using search.

Thanks for the info SO, all my questions were answered here.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
No is a obvious good idea when applicable, but it sounds like the early days of D.A.R.E. "Just say no to drugs". We all know how that turned out.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
My Gawd, this Digg thingy is slowing down the loading of ATS today. it just keeps clocking and clocking and clocking..... On the browser bar across the bottom is says: waiting on digg.com.

Can we disable this option if we don't "digg" it?

[edit on 30-4-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
My Gawd, this Digg thingy is slowing down the loading of ATS today. it just keeps clocking and clocking and clocking..... On the browser bar across the bottom is says: waiting on digg.com.

Can we disable this option if we don't "digg" it?

[edit on 30-4-2010 by Aggie Man]

I'm still experiencing this problem. Any MODS care to chime in on a solution?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
The reason ATS threads don't make it on Digg.com is because their fan base is full of ignorant pricks who cannot establish a respectable debate over a subject.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Just saw this....

There are DOZENS of threads I'm subscribed to that I cannot get into at the moment and haven't been able to for about 30 mins... it just says "Waiting for Digg" and then doesn't move.

Is this being looked at?

Cheers

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

I'm not sure about the load times, but half of my favorite threads arent even loading at all. I see the "digg ats" button, can't push it anyway...the rest of the pages are blank, can't read my threads!
Related?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join