It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reality and Perception.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
We all percieve reality through our sensory perceptors per se, taste, smell, touch, sound, sight. Only through these do we aprehend the world, which then in turn is intrepeted by our minds.

Now just say a child were to be born without, deaf, blind, and had his sense of smell gone aswell ( Dont know how. lol ) Is this child fully consciouss of the world around him? Reality is mindstuff or so to say. It manifests itself through our minds, and in humans gives us more of a threshold on reality.

Also, a child as such has never been born has it ?

This may sound like jibberesh, but believe you me, I feel the same way

Deep

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I think the child is conscious of the world around him. It still has a brain.

You also didnt mention whether or not the child would be born with or without the ability to touch and feel.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Imagine yourself sitting in a large empty room. Your Blind and Deaf, your constrained by a forcefield to no movement at all.

How do you percieve reality?

Deep

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
there was a book written once about this girl living oini some town that was this giant experiment. it was present day but the whole town was set up exactly liek the 1700s and they finally take her, when shes like 20, and throw her in the present and tell her it was all a lie. the book almost sounded like more of a documentary or report on what actually happened. its funny to think that our perception can be morphed like that, its all culture and senses.

freaky

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Well, there was Helen Keller (sp?)...she went on to college and things, rather bright I believe. She was deaf and blind, I think.

People can be very amazing, especially when doubted!

I agree, it's hard to imagine how they would perceive the world, but it's indeed possible.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Her sight, voice and hearing are all but gone?

Deep

[Edited on 18-2-2004 by ZeroDeep]

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I think she could speak...but I really don't know much about her, I just remember that older movie based on her life...The Miracle Worker...I think it was called.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I thought so, I doubt any true deaf and blind person could go through college, seems impossible.

Deep

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
Imagine yourself sitting in a large empty room. Your Blind and Deaf, your constrained by a forcefield to no movement at all.

How do you perceive reality?

External vibrations, internal rhythms (breathing, heartbeat, stomach gurgles), pleasure and pain, thought.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   

How do you percieve reality?

Deep

Interesting question. In order to experience reality, one must have a sense of existence: I and other. If there were no sensory input ever, then it would only be possible to assume that there would be no sense of what is I and what is not I. Therefor reality, as we have come to think about it, would not exist for said person (if you could even consider them a person).

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Only the inner reality would exist. The thoughts and imagination would exist for that person. It would be as if they were in a coma.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Only the inner reality would exist. The thoughts and imagination would exist for that person. It would be as if they were in a coma.

Yes, but if they were born like that they would have no life experience and thus nothing to base any sort of existence on. If you never got to know you, would you know that you were in fact you?

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Someone with no senses at al including touch, sound, sight, speech, movement....

So basiaclly someone with just a brain and cant do anything else....

They would create their own world. Their brains would create their own world...like a dream world..and they can do whatever they want. They would be god of thier own reality

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by DaRAGE]

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

Originally posted by TheBandit795

Yes, but if they were born like that they would have no life experience and thus nothing to base any sort of existence on. If you never got to know you, would you know that you were in fact you?

That's only based on common knowledge and the way we think about our birth (that it's the beginning of everything for us a an individual mind).

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Reality is based on the facts provided by Jonna, if one cannot experience any of these, how can he experience reality?

Remember the restrictions I have given this Child ( lets call him Akira )

Akira is confined to no possible movement, blind, deaf, and in an empty room deviod of anything but nothing.

What exactly does Akira expereince? Does Akira have a sense of self-awareness, " I " ?

Deep

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Reality is based on the facts provided by Jonna, if one cannot experience any of these, how can he experience reality?

Remember the restrictions I have given this Child ( lets call him Akira )

Akira is confined to no possible movement, blind, deaf, and in an empty room deviod of anything but nothing.

What exactly does Akira expereince? Does Akira have a sense of self-awareness, " I " ?

Deep

Maybe this "Akira" can tap into the unknown regions of his brain, meanwhile, the government will find others just like him and perform experiments...Sorry, started thinking about the movie.

But I think he would be able to access parts of his brain that we cannot.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Possible, we use only 10 percent of our brain to preceive reality. Somehow with the Absense of these sensory receptors, he will gain other means of reception?

Deep

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Possible, we use only 10 percent of our brain to preceive reality. Somehow with the Absense of these sensory receptors, he will gain other means of reception?

Deep

Basically.

Think about it. What else would "Akira" be able to do, besides delve into the recesses of his mind?

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Well this child has never had the luxarie of learning, just been in this void room since birth.

Deep

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
the thing that gets me is how do you teach somebody anything who is blind and deaf? does anybody remember that movie "hear no evil see no evil"? together the two guys in it made one whole person and it was still hard for them. i couldnt even dream of what it would be like. however your sense of touch and smell would probably be heightened. even still how would you be able to read braile without being taught? if you cant see you could at least hear, but to have both, it must take a real lot of concentration from the person more than i could ever imagine. this is just one of those things that really makes me feel really small, and just thank whoever im not like that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join