It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bronze Medallion...Religious? Sinister?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Just recently, my girlfriend had recovered a bronze medallion that was handed to her at a young age by her Uncle...but her parents at the time fearing that there was an alternate religious aspect to it (evil) given its appearance, told her she wasn't allowed to wear it. Here are some pictures of the front and back...could anyone tell me if its religious? and maybe what it means? We have searched the internet dry for answers...and unfortunately do not know anything on its past.

Soo far, the only possible translation Ive come up with is "BVM" meaning- Blesed Virgin Mary, and "CATH:" possibly meaning Catholic??

Front-

Back-

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Well, I can tell you that it's an equal-armed cross and is the image used by the Knights Templar. My first thought when I saw it was that it was celtic, but that could have been my first impression just because it is equal-armed. As for the lettering on the back, I have no clue... A quick search for equal-armed crosses or square crosses should be able to tell you more about the symbolism of the crosses shape though.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Thanks Jenna! my first impression was that it was masonic as well, Im almost certain its not Military...since its not numbered, or it does not appear on any lists.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I don't know much about the symbology, but the cross is a form of cross patee: en.wikipedia.org...

Looking on google, it seems BVM is often an abbreviation for breviarium which is a liturgical book e.g. of hymns. Taking this I would say that cath is short for catholic and ecc possibly for ecclesiastic or similar.

Interestingly, while I was looking I found this: www.askacatholic.com...

It doesn't give any real answers but it sounds like that person might have had a similar cross to this one.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo515

Soo far, the only possible translation Ive come up with is "BVM" meaning- Blesed Virgin Mary, and "CATH:" possibly meaning Catholic??

The ECC comes from the latin for Church, I think, so I'd say best bet is to show it to your local Catholic priest.

As to that having "an alternate religious aspect to it (evil)", that all depends upon the nature of your faith, doesn't it?

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
No problem. Let us know if you figure out what the lettering means, I think it would be interesting to find out. JohnnyCanuck's idea to show it to a Catholic priest is a great idea. They might be able to tell you what it means, or at least where to go to find out.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Interesting cross...Written in Italian? If so I'll have my friend look it over since he speaks it fluently. If he doesn't understand it his mother will as she dabbles in the paranormal/religious. I'll send it his way next time I catch him online

But from the looks of it I did a quick search on "BVM" and got these websites.
www.bvmcong.org...
www.icbvm.org...

Those were the only two on google that looked like it might hold any relevance.

And for another site by googling "TRV-Ron"
www.askacatholic.com...

The seemed to have the same question as you. Hope this sheds some light

Presentation of Jesus, or Purification of B.V.M. -- 2 or 15 February.
Dormitio, or Assumption, B.V.M. -- 15 August.

www.newadvent.org...

Sounds like it could be a Saint medallion

[edit on 2-3-2008 by Leviatano]

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Just a thought I just had, the V's might be U's instead. In some older writing the u's were pointed at the end and looked like v's. Might be useful in looking for a translation.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leviatano
And for another site by googling "TRV-Ron"
www.askacatholic.com...

The seemed to have the same question as you. Hope this sheds some light

Hey yeah i remember coming across that site when googling, They describe one thats identical to mine and was found pretty much the same way...but they also say that they're 81 years old and it was handed to them, so that would mean that the medallion is Very old?? I'm not sure if asking a catholic priest would be a good idea since I'm in Australia and the medallion itself originates from England - just like the one in that site.

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
As to that having "an alternate religious aspect to it (evil)", that all depends upon the nature of your faith, doesn't it?

Exactly...but her parents are devote Christians, and we all know how superstitious they can be.

Originally posted by Leviatano
Interesting cross...Written in Italian?

Im not too sure about being Italian...it looks more like abbreviations for things they couldn't write in their entirety.

And in saying that...Could it be possible that something had been stamped into it just after the CATH: and ECC: ???

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
My friend thinks it could have come from Europe. Not 100% sure, but that's what he said. Before though he told me it could be from anywhere and listed France, Europe, Italy. So either way we might need three translators to figure out this thing.

Edit -
Argh ment to get this as a reply to your post. Sorry about that, apparently something happened and it didn't go through.

[edit on 2-3-2008 by Leviatano]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Due to the perfect formation of the lettering it looks like it has been made from a mould, rather than being shaped or etched. This would suggest its fairly modern, within the last few hundred years.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Hello, Can I see a pic of the cross...thinking I have one...but silver...received as a child.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Griffo515

Hey, I think I have a matching but silver cross...received after my mother passed away as a forgotten gift from a relative in yes, England..I searched it all the way to Truro..Church...where I saw them selling lookalikes...not sure but thinking mine maybe an original...hope to hear soon. Celtica

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

My partner also has one of these crosses. On the vale at the top ours has a cross that continues onto a tree (the tree of life was my thought).

Have you been able to find out anyhting more about it? I googled ECC: and CATH: together and it brought up something to do with Pius the fith, but couldn't figure out exactly what....

I know this is an old thread but we need to know whaty it all means!

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Yes, that's a Templar Cross alright. I have one given to me by my Grandfather that's said to be over 100 years old, bronze, and looks just like the one in the photo. I carry it for luck.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Its the Malta cross used by the vaticans, royal families, government you name yes it is indeed freemasonic...

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I beg to differ with all the posts so far.

I believe it is a Coptic cross. The Coptic church, based in Ethiopia, is one of the world's oldest independednt Christian churches, surviving since the days of the apostles. It is as old as the Catholic and Greek Orthodox churches, for example. (founded around the same time).

Run a google image search on "coptic cross." Then also run searches on "Templar cross" and "Malta cross." I believe it is much more similar to a coptic cross...look at each of the four ends; the differences are clear as daylight.

The Coptic church is not at all sinister (IMO) and has a long and storied history. If you are interested, I suggest doing a bit of googling on the church itself.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
My final searches have brought me to the Jerusalem Cross. Can buy at Glastonbury, various simalarities. Still trying to o find the originality. Search on...

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Hi

I have an identical item found yesterday (27/10/2011) from my parents effects. The only thing I can come up with was that my paternal grand father was a "mason" and it could have been his. All my family have always been staunch protistants and would not have had anything chatholic. I think that if it is masonic then the back will be more impotant than the front (that is the small symbol in the center) [they where like that!].

Will keep you informed if I find anything more.

Regards djm (Essex England)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Hi, I am new and am interested in the medallion because I have found the same medallion! It was given by mu grandmother, she found it in Ireland. (I think on the beach or just somewhere on the ground.)

I do not know if mine is real, because mine does not look bronze, more silver colored but I don't think it is silver. So maybe it is a replica? if there are replica's?? However I still want to know what it means. and maybe find out if mine is real or not. My grandmother is now 95 ( pretty old but not crazy yet ^.^) I don't know how old she was when she found it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join