It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does bacon cause cancer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I read in the london Metro (because im British) about a year ago that bacon is cancerous! Does any body know any more information about this topic as I am currently researching it for university?

The main reason I brought this topic up is because I eat a lot of bacon and have always had this in the back of my mind.

'Both red and processed meat were convincing causes of bowel cancer, said the report.' Metro

www.metro.co.uk...

Go to the article above

Ohhh yay more crap weather?

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Hello there

I am not sure, but it is funny, I will never eat pork. Never have, never will.

Maybe someone said something to me when I was a child, that pork was not good for human consumption, cos I have always been ew, no thanks!

Think there is also a book called 'Eat Right For your Blood Type'... it has some info about pork in that too re consequences for your health if you eat it.

Who knows really, much of what we eat is so processed and pumped up full of steriods, GM et cetera, prolly have a nervous breakdown or a severe eating disorder if we really thought about it for too long!

cheers

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Well, i do not eat bacon, so was never specially in terested in this kind of food, however generally speaking ,it might be cancerogenic when overfryied. Any way,high meat diet is known to raise risk of cancer.
Note - i am not vegeterian.
Read the following link if you interested....
www.cancerproject.org...

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I love to eat a nice crispy bacon sandwhich, nothing better before a long hike, even nice cold on toast.

as far as the OP question goes i would say probably yes, just like everything else does, because of all the crap that gets added to it

You may think you can see additives in bacon but you cant thats why there is so much water in the package,

i dont head warnings anymore im already sick from things that wern't my fault, just a shame they didnt give warnings 10 yrs earlier.

Sory this just IMO

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Here's some food for thought.
www.goodwithchildren.com...

I rarely eat bacon..and it is usually small bits in a salad when I do.
I never eat pork, really. I just don't like it.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Bacon, Hot Dogs, Potato Chips, and a bunch of other things have been listed as potential causes of some types of cancers. The acrylamide that is used in many potato chips and fries has been shown to be a carcinogen. Additionally, there are concerns over the nitrates, which are used to make some types of meat appear more red and prevent some bacteria, changing into a carcinogen during cooking :

During the cooking process, nitrites combine with amines naturally present in meat to form carcinogenic N-nitroso compounds.

Nitrite is added to certain foods to prevent the growth of the spore-forming bacterium Clostridium botulinum, whose toxin causes botulism, leading to paralysis and potentially, death. Botulinum toxins are the most toxic compounds known, 15,000 times more potent than nerve gas (100,000 times more potent than the nerve gas sarin). The word botulinum comes from the Latin word botulus, meaning sausage, which was responsible for many deaths centuries ago, before the advent of curing with nitrite. In addition to functioning as an antimicrobial agent, nitrite is used to produce the characteristic flavour, texture, and pink colour of cured meats.

Foods to which nitrite is added include bacon, fermented sausage, hot dogs, bologna, salami, corned beef, ham, and other products such as smoked or cured meat, fish, and poultry.

Second its been well known for a long time that foods with high saturated fats cause increased chances of certain types of cancers, such as breast and colon cancer.

There are of course arguments, both ways, on the risk of eating such things. If you are very concerned about it though, I would avoid as much fat as possible and eat only natural unprocessed meats.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Aww, come on people! Did we have to have this post on a Sunday morning? Well, I guess it's back to cold cereal.

Good points all around. I have always deluded myself that bacon isn't really "pork", as it's just too yummy. (I know it's silly and makes no sense) But other forms of pork - bleh!
Pigs will eat anything.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Aww, come on people! Did we have to have this post on a Sunday morning? Well, I guess it's back to cold cereal.

LOL mwah ... did this put you off your bacon and eggs?

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Ohhhh well ill think i will keep to my brain and kidney pie

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   

link   

link   

top topics

join