It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masonic Practice and Magic(k)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
To the Mason's on this board I have a question. Do you consider Masonic Rituals to be related to, or of, a magical quality? Do you see Masonic practices as magical ritual? I recently listened to a interview with a man who was active in the occult community and made a statement about how he became a Mason as a result of his interest in the occult, as they were so closely tied. I found this rather intriguing. Is there a connection between these two, and if so what exactly is it?

I must admit I alway assumed that Masons were practicing some form of magical ritual. After hanging around this board for a few months I know better than to point my finger at something I precieve to be Masonic without hard evidence.

If this is indeed the case, that Masons practice some form of magical ritual, and you are allowed to discuss it I would be really appreciative of any information you wouldcare to share with me.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I am not a Freemason, so perhaps I am unwarranted in replying to your post, but seeing as nobody else has I'll put in my two cents.

From what I understand about Freemasonry, (though one cannot lump all Freemasons into one category), the majority of rituals are not magickal, but are instead simply metaphors which are meant to teach the brethren something, (i.e. a specific moral or something). However, a facet of Freemasonry not often mentioned amongst the anti-Masonic communities involves a pursuit of wisdom and knowledge. The wisdom and knowledge they seek is usually referred to as "esoteric" wisdom, presumably due to the fact that only a select few are privy to it. Some of this knowledge is very ancient, and may involve so-called "occult" practices. I don't think that being a Mason necessarily means you practice literal occult rituals, though I would venture a guess that the majority of "true" Masons do. It should be noted that much of their symbology is occultic in nature. However, I don't think Masons think of themselves as "witches" or "warlocks" or "magicians". Even the occultic rituals they practice probably have more to do with symbolism than with calling upon supernatural powers.

But I digress. Hopefully some Masons will come in here and shed some real light on this issue for you. As I mentioned, I'm simply replying to give my two cents because your thread looked lonely.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
If it is an answer from a mason that you desire I can simply ask my mother as her uncle was a freemason or something. I know someone in this family was a freemason, but I can't for the life of me remember exactly who in this family was. Though from my understanding there is no "Magic(K) in freemasonry, because if there was my family wouldn't very well good christians.

Most of it I believe is just rituals (such as ritual of innitiation and what not) any form of magic or the such would be frowned upon (this is my belief I do not have any data to back it up or verify it at the moment) Though like I said before grandfather or uncle were masons so I can only go off of the information I gained by easedropping.

Ps. I gained this information while sitting after church listening to parents talk to another guy who was a mason. There is a children's form of masonry titled something, but this was back in spring of '07 So I can't remember it. It doesn't relate to the magic or anything, but I just thought someone might want to know. Before anyone jumps to conclusions its not a bad thing from what I understand, they instil "morals" into the children and they repair playgrounds, and what not giving the children something to do and a good thing to go to in life. I could have been a part of it, but I'm a leader not a follower and I just don't like the idea of secret societies.
Sorry for the tangent thought/statement.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Of the masonic ritual that I've been through, I can't say I've gotten any of the same "charge" that I got in magickal ritual. It might be that as a first-time participant in my various initiations in masonry that I was too overwhelmed by the structure and complexities to "get it" my first time through; or that my guides leading me through the initiation weren't putting the same energies into it that a magickal practitioner might. I can't say for certain.

I'd lost contact with most of my magick-practicing friends for about 10 years and only last year joined Masonry. It would be appealing to me to try to combine the two teachings, as there are definitely correlations that could be made between aspects of the two. Just a matter of internalizing the masonic teachings enough that I can focus my energies as well while I'm going through the rituals.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Good answers so far, particularly an3rkist who gets a star

Unfortunately occult/occultic and magic(k) can mean different things to different people. Whilst there is no doubt an element of this in freemasonry, I think it would be wrong to describe it purely in those terms.

There are freemasons who are fascinated with the occult. Some of them have written books which get widely quoted. Others have no interest in such matters and relish freemasonry instead for its unique opportunities for fellowship. Yet others enjoy the spiritual aspect of freemasonry, the juxtaposition of freemasonry with their own faith creates new and exciting ways of understanding God and all his works.

The best way to describe freemasonry is as a 'blueprint' for life - a framework upon which we can hang our own beliefs, attitudes and priorities for closer personal inspection. Just as each freemason has his own unique understanding of God, so each will develop his own journey in Life. Some journeys may be highly esoteric, others may be quite mundane. All are equally valid.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Most Masons who are interested in Magick have to go outside of Masonry for proper instruction. As for me, I practice a variation of Golden Dawn techniques.

Masonic philosopher and occultist Albert Pike wrote:

Magic is that which it is; it is by itself, like the mathematics; for it is the exact and absolute science of Nature and its laws.

Magic is the science of the Ancient Magi: and the Christian religion, which has imposed silence on the lying oracles, and put an end to the prestiges of the false Gods, itself reveres those Magi who came from the East, guided by a Star, to adore the Saviour of the world in His cradle.

Tradition also gives these Magi the title of "Kings;" because initiation into Magism constitutes a genuine royalty; and because the grand art of the Magi is styled by all the Adepts, "The Royal Art," or the Holy Realm or Empire, Sanctum Regnum.

The Star which guided them is that same Blazing Star, the image whereof we find in all initiations. To the Alchemists it is the sign of the Quintessence; to the Magists, the Grand Arcanum; to the Kabalists, the Sacred Pentagram. The study of this Pentagram could not but lead the Magi to the knowledge of the New Name which was about to raise itself above all names, and cause all creatures capable of adoration to bend the knee.

Magic unites in one and the same science, whatsoever Philosophy can possess that is most certain, and Religion of the Infallible and the Eternal. It perfectly and incontestably reconciles these two terms that at first blush seem so opposed to each other; faith and reason, science and creed, authority and liberty.

It supplies the human mind with an instrument of philosophical and religious certainty, exact as the mathematics, and accounting for the infallibility of the mathematics themselves.

- Morals and Dogma, p. 841-842

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Dear Gentlemen: (from a canadian mason and very amateur beginner in magick):
i agree with the comment that to pursue magick one must go out of freemasonry (the orthodox variety). This is in fact borne out by the history of the Golden Dawn and countless other organizations of an esoteric nature founded by masons. The fact of the matter is that if you join mainstream, orthodox, freemasonry, it is essentially (within north america and england) a social organization. Frankly, there is a lot of talk about education, philosophy, etc, but it is just that. I found that the men in my lodge wouldn't tolerate more than a five minute presentation and then only on dull topics such as "what the trowel signifies". Freemasonry in Europe I'm told is much more philosophical I am told. In North America it has become an escape from the wives, a chance to get cheap drinks, and a medium and vehicle for outdated sentiments from the 50's by members born then.
In conclusion, pursue magic(k) in an organization at least consciously trying to engage in it, such as the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn (founded by Regardie and the Cicero's). Otherwise waste your energy trying to get a bunch of old men to give up the past.
cheers

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
When a masonic ritual is performed word perfect, by each of its participating members , then it is empowered. Like a battery it is energised. Masons are able to increase capacity for memory; understand interconnections between themselves and spiritual dimensions; access knowledge and wisdom through a better understanding of themselves and their God.

Different offices within a Lodge replicate a blueprint to achieve the above. It is a blueprint of the complete Mason able to achieve illumination.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by Circle]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Circle

I disagree completely. It is true that seeing ritual done helps you memorize it, but that is true of every action we take which we repeat - its not due to "magic." Its not unique to masonry nor ritual as a whole, but happens with everything we do more than once.

There is a difference between philosophy and magic. Philosophy exists in masonry and it adds to our wisdom, but only through our desire to learn. However, the degree to which each mason delves into the philosophy varies greatly - some don't do it at all.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALightinDarkness
reply to post by Circle

I disagree completely. It is true that seeing ritual done helps you memorize it, but that is true of every action we take which we repeat - its not due to "magic." Its not unique to masonry nor ritual as a whole, but happens with everything we do more than once.

One man's magic is another person's philosophy is another man's mind game. It depends on how you define magic I guess. What is unique to masonry is masonry's own sources to illumination which have surfaced in other places in history.

By the way seeing a ritual is not exactly the same as actively taking part in it.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ALightinDarkness

I would say, imo of course, that the rituals DO have a "stronger" energy if done professionally.. no mess ups, straight like it's supposed to be and with enthusiasm.

I don't consider it magic though. I don't believe in magic so maybe I am just biased, I dunno. I don't even know what my point is.

Circle: If the ritual is said, word for word, and done perfectly Satan will actually rise in the middle of the room!

And then we go eat.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Certainly - anytime the ritual is done very well it is solemn and its meaning is more intensified. But I wouldn't call it magic either, its just that the solemnity of the ritual impresses upon us its importance.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
It really depends on one's definition of "Magic/Magick", doesn't it.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Circle: If the ritual is said, word for word, and done perfectly Satan will actually rise in the middle of the room!

Careful, Rockpuck, on this forum, people might just take you seriously!

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roark
It really depends on one's definition of "Magic/Magick", doesn't it.

Yes. The standard definition these days was the one used by Crowley:

Magick is the Science and Art of causing change to occur in conformity with the Will.

The definition by Dion Fortune is similar, except she says "change in consciousness to occur in conformity with the Will."

I would say that Masonic ritual fits Fortune's definition nicely, and probably Crowley's as well. Crowley took the view (which IMO is philosophically correct) that every intentional act is a magical act. For example, performing Masonic ritual is a magical act. However, things we do out of pure habit without willful intent are unmagical and can be harmful (for example, mindlessly reaching for the next cigarette).

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
As a mason myself I can honestly tell you that in every ritual I have particpated in there has never been an expectation of any type of magical event. Almost every ritual or degree has a purposefull meaning to help us to become better human beings. So to answer your question I dont see magic or the occult as any part of masonic ritual or degrees. Hope this was helpfull.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Sounds like a heavy session there

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I know quite a few brothers that consider the masonic rituals magick rituals.

for example:

sacredgrotto.com...

[edit on 30-5-2008 by scientist]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Over at the Lodgical blog, Jeff has some interesting thoughts on use of Word and symbol as opening the aura to make it more receptive to positive change.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

I am a master mason. I am also a practising ceremonial magician. Masonic ritual is strictly a pagent to teach philosopical and moral lessons. There is nothing magical about it.

That said, my entered apprentice initiation had a profound effect on me that I can only describe as magical.

CW

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join