It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One per cent of Americans now in jail

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   

One per cent of Americans now in jail

www.independent.co.uk

They used to call it the land of the free, but a new report shows that the United States is nowadays more a nation of the incarcerated. For the first time in history, more than 1 per cent of the US adult population is now behind bars. For minority populations, the rates of imprisonment are much higher.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
One out of every hundred people adults in the USA is in prison. Whether per capita or in raw numbers, it's more than any other nation. China, with a much larger population, comes in a distant second. Why are so many people incarcerated in the US?

I dont know about others but I find that a shocking figure.

And especially, like the reporter states, in the land of the free.

Let alone "civilised" world.

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Probably because many young people dont feel they will ever get a good job because of their upbringing, education or whatever. Also it doesnt exactly help that you have guns everywhere.

In Sweden, university studies are free. Everyone can become something if they want. I very much prefer that system.

[edit on 1-3-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I agree the drug laws cause a lot of the problem. Poor education systems in inner cities is probably the root however.

Of course if we put down the violent criminals quicker they wouldn't be in prison cells.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by paladom
Of course if we put down the violent criminals quicker they wouldn't be in prison cells.

Sure, you could do that... or you could try and fix the problem: why they end up that way. Because if you dont, its a never ending story of new criminals, which is what you are seeing in your country.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

What about other countries that are generally regarded as having justice and police systems as effective as the American systems (Canada, etc.)? How do their rates of incarceration and of repeat offence compare to American rates?

And getting the guilty into prison is not the only goal; another one is keeping the innocent out.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Attari
What about other countries that are generally regarded as having justice and police systems as effective as the American systems (Canada, etc.)? How do their rates of incarceration and of repeat offence compare to American rates?

Seems to be a large difference in mentality in Canada. They have a very low amount of murders and violence, and people seem to be unafraid of eachother. They have socialized health care I think, so everyone knows they will be OK if they get sick and so on.

I think you have to build a society for everybody, not just the ones with money, otherwise you end up with violence from the "have nots".

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

For minority groups the picture is especially bleak. One in every 36 Hispanic adults is currently behind bars, while the number for African American men is one in 15. More stunning is the rate of imprisonment for black men aged 20 to 34, where one out of every nine is now serving time.

That's amazing... 1 in 9 black males between 20 and 34!! more than 11%
Jeese that has to a self perpetuating cycle, look at a class of black boys, say at age 9 and you could almost write off one in 9 by those figures. That can't be the fault of the kids, that has to be nurture as opposed to nature. Society often reminds me of a Heroine addicted anorexic airline pilot who has the full backing of his/her drunk supervisors.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

Originally posted by Attari

Seems to be a large difference in mentality in Canada. They have a very low amount of murders and violence, and people seem to be unafraid of eachother. They have socialized health care I think, so everyone knows they will be OK if they get sick and so on.

I think you have to build a society for everybody, not just the ones with money, otherwise you end up with violence from the "have nots".

Well, if you go to other first world countries you'll know why. Crime is unheard of in Scandinavian countries. Spain and Poland are terrible for pick pockets, but violent crimes is almost non existent. Germany has so little crime they can blame the Poles for everything stolen, and look at Canada. Who has ever broken the law up there?

I suspect more that it is a part of our culture and that people don't see a prison sentence as a bad thing. Some even chose it over paying traffic fines.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Jeese that has to a self perpetuating cycle, look at a class of black boys, say at age 9 and you could almost write off one in 9 by those figures. That can't be the fault of the kids, that has to be nurture as opposed to nature. Society often reminds me of a Heroine addicted anorexic airline pilot who has the full backing of his/her drunk supervisors.

I agree. It's definetely nurture. What you have to ask is why are so many blacks, or minorities imprisoned versus the number of whites? It's not genetic and that's obvious to anyone who isn't bigoted. Is it because there is less opportunity for them, and so they grow up in poorer areas and look to crime to make a living? But then you have to ask why are do so many minorities inhabit poorer areas? There are outside forces at work here. What's funny (not funny haha) to me is that some of the biggest crooks, those over in washington, are old white guys...and rather than being imprisoned, they get re-elected.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I agree. It's definetely nurture. What you have to ask is why are so many blacks, or minorities imprisoned versus the number of whites? It's not genetic and that's obvious to anyone who isn't bigoted. Is it because there is less opportunity for them, and so they grow up in poorer areas and look to crime to make a living? But then you have to ask why are do so many minorities inhabit poorer areas? There are outside forces at work here. What's funny (not funny haha) to me is that some of the biggest crooks, those over in washington, are old white guys...and rather than being imprisoned, they get re-elected.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I've been watching the failing of the US education system for some time now.
I'm still not sure why anyone allowed it to get to such a horrible state in the first place, but I can almost guarantee you that the education systems failings is the direct cause of the increased incarcerations.

Simply put, people resort to crime when they can't get what they need legally.

Now... who's to blame? I don't know. But someone has clearly decided that they have something that can replace some fundamental parts of education... and they are clearly horribly wrong.

Whether our society believes that media, or religion is a valid replacement for time spent learning topics such as science, or literature is beyond me... but those are the two things I have seen schools replacing old school teaching methods with lately.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Attari

It's because the US government keeps making moral calls when it makes new laws. Prostitution, in most cases, is illegal. Smoking marijuana, illegal. The Federal Governess is quite adept at telling me what my morals should be. If you don't take her advice, then be prepared to go to jail. I feel if they would work on removing foolish laws that are on the books, more people would be out of jail. Of course that would mean giving more control back to the people.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio
reply to post by Attari

Of course that would mean giving more control back to the people.

True say
!

If you look at China for instance; we beat them in total numbers by a long shot for incarcerated people, yet they have nearly 4x the population that we have. I bet no matter how you look at it - the crime is worse in US or people with small crimes are being banged up.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I could have sworn this was discussed before, earlier in the week. Let me find the link.

Here is the link:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 1-3-2008 by Agent Styx]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
To many ignorant moral laws. Amricans aren't as free as thier government leads them to belive.

And the reason we surpassed China is they exsicute everyone.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Attari

When people think of the land of the free, they perceive it to be a country where they can do anything. Hence why we got so many murders and they don't realize the consequences since they are so uninformed of America's laws.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Just so you know, there is already a thread on this here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 1-3-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
"Freedom" is only a word we use in slogans here, but in reality it's something we're trying to stamp out as much as possible

The "prison-industrial complex" is as real as the "military-industrial complex"...
Look into who is paying politicians to enact longer and longer sentences for nonviolent crimes - could it be the prison industry?

Nahhh

PS - interesting article: The Prison-Industrial Complex

The level of violent crime in the United States, despite recent declines, still dwarfs that in Western Europe. But the proportion of offenders being sent to prison each year for violent crimes has actually fallen during the prison boom. In 1980 about half the people entering state prison were violent offenders; in 1995 less than a third had been convicted of a violent crime. The enormous increase in America's inmate population can be explained in large part by the sentences given to people who have committed nonviolent offenses. Crimes that in other countries would usually lead to community service, fines, or drug treatment—or would not be considered crimes at all—in the United States now lead to a prison term, by far the most expensive form of punishment.

[edit on 3/1/08 by xmotex]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
imagine if you will... a country ruled by corporations looking for the greatest profit possible... employees are expensive... lobby for laws that imprison people for the smallest infraction and presto! a cheap work force...

"during the last 20 years more than 30 states have passed laws permitting the use of convict labor by commercial enterprises. These programs now exist in 36 states. Prisoners now manufacture everything from blue jeans, to auto parts, to electronics and furniture. Honda has paid inmates $2 an hour for doing the same work an auto worker would get paid $20 to $30 an hour to do. Konica has used prisoners to repair copiers for less than 50 cents an hour. Toys R Us used prisoners to restock shelves, and Microsoft to pack and ship software. Clothing made in California and Oregon prisons competes so successfully with apparel made in Latin America and Asia that it is exported to other countries."

source

seems to make sound fiscal sense to me...

[edit on 1-3-2008 by never_tell]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join