It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what happens to the soul when a person commits suicide.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I'm curious what happens to the soul when a person commits suicide.From what I heard it's a sin according to the bible but does it say exactly what God does to the soul?

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I don't think the soul of a suicide ends up any differently than anyone else who dies. Why should it? People who commit suicide are in extremis. Emotional pain is still pain. I don't think any less of people who take their own lives. In fact, I think they're very brave. I don't think I could do it.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Nothing, as the "soul" is a function of the brain, and when the body is dead the brain is dead, and therefore the soul and any other facets of that person's personality disappears utterly.

Thank goodness, because i'd much prefer that to Hell.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I have thought about this one a LOT. My brother committed suicide. The Christian view is that God punishes that person for not accepting Gods will. Obviously, I dont like that view. I find it hard to accept that any God who is touted as loving would "punish" someone. Period.

I study philosophy and religion, so the Christian view was not the only one I considered. I also considered it from a Buddhist and Hindu viewpoint. They also have some idea of a soul suffering repercussions from suicide. It isnt a punishment from some outside God in those cases.

While there is no question that people who commit suicide are often "suffering" and in "pain," those traditions do not see external circumstances as the "cause" of pain. Rather, they see your reaction to, or more specifically, your resistance to your external circumstances as the cause of your suffering. In other words, your Ego, or Identity, resists What IS in your life, and this resistance is the cause of pain/suffering. So, in that view, someone who WOULD commit suicide is highly attached to their Ego, and so is distant from, separated from, their true Self, that is All that IS, or the Divine.

If at the moment of death, realize that they are not their Ego, but instead are Self, or the Divine, if they Awaken in the process of death, the fact that the death was a suicide would matter not. (See the Tibetan Book of the Dead for an explanation of what they believe occurs after death, essentially, the soul takes a little walk through illusion before being committed to a "path" and any where along that path they may "choose" to Awaken and experience Nirvana. A very short and imperfect synopsis)

However many that are so bound to the Illusion of Ego, or Separate Identity, do NOT awaken during this process, they stay bound to the idea of separateness even as the Ego, that specific identity dissolves. This attachment to separation is what causes separation and pain, and as such, it is hell.

So, because a person who commits suicide has lived in a Ego created hell, after death they often remain in a Separation based hell. It isnt a punishment, but suffering caused by a misunderstanding of who and what they really are.

As time has gone on, I have come to the conclusion that Christianity as it is practiced, has deviated quite a bit from its roots. And I know many Christians will disagree with me on this, so dont feel you need to inform me WHY I am wrong, I know the arguments. I tend to believe now, that the core of Christianity is not so different from these other spiritual traditions, and I tend to feel that the Christian God does NOT punish you, but in a similar way, your own free will that you use to judge, "Good and Evil" is what traps you in a "hell." (Judge not, lest you be judged, etc.)

So, I am not closer to knowing if any of this is in fact what happens. And, I have no desire to commit suicide to find out, but for what it is worth, those are some of the "reasonings" I have come up with based on those religious traditions.

It would make the most sense to me that if there is a "hell" it would have to be "self imposed" in the after life, much like we often put ourselves in a "hell" here on Earth. Why would a God, or Divine Being whose essence is Love/Acceptance, want to punish us at all?

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I'll try to field this one from the perspective of what I was taught in church growing up.

Somebody committed suicide in our age group, and at catechism class it was discussed.

We were told in the Commandments that "Thou shall not kill". Period. Killing one's self is a mortal sin.

Brings up the question in my life later: Is there a special dispensation for those that are compelled to kill as part of duty? THERE is a big conflict for ya!

Personally, I feel suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness. One who is driven to such ends feels that they can no longer bear some burden, and choose to end their life. It is their final decision that "releases" them from their "burden".

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by cbianchi513

Personally, I feel suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness. One who is driven to such ends feels that they can no longer bear some burden, and choose to end their life. It is their final decision that "releases" them from their "burden".

I would tend to agree, but in a gentler way. I think that it is the ultimate act of Egoism, which is very similar to "selfishness" but lacks the implication of Awareness.

I think those who do commit suicide generally are not in a mental position to realize that they could make another choice. I think it is the ultimate mistake, in other words. I believe their thinking has so narrowed, so polarized, that for them at that moment there is only black and white, life and death, good and evil. I think it is "selfish" but not the selfishness of someone who genuinely knows better, who sees a less selfish path and chooses not to take it, but someone who is so lost in their "idea of self" that they have lost the ability to see other options.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Those who take there own live's are selfish plain and simple we all have hurdles in our lives some have more than other's.

There is no excuse to take your own life as you are simply leaving those that love you behind and thus making it harder for them.

Now im shure that those that commit suicide are not punished for there action's God is love after all.

But anyone who kill's them self that i know or hear about i loose any respect i had for them right on the spot.

It's a selfish act thats the end of it.

It's not brave it's cowardly.

There is alway's choice no matter what mental state you are in everyone makes there own choice.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 1-3-2008 by h3akalee]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I believe that it is not so much about how you die, as it is about how you lived your life that determines the path of your soul.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Avery good book on this subject is:

Suicide: What Really Happens in the Afterlife?
Jon Klimo, Pamela Heath

Book Description

This provocative study explores what happens to those who commit suicide. Drawing on communications from the spirits of more than 100 'successful' suicides, it offers an intriguing look at what the dead themselves say about suicide, its repercussions, and their experiences in the afterlife. Bringing together the channeled messages of three types of suicide—traditional suicide, assisted suicide, and the suicide mass murder adopted by terrorists—the book covers a wide range of topics, including why people commit suicide, what it is like to cross over, adjustment problems, what suicides would say to those left behind, and what they would tell others thinking of taking their own lives. Additionally, the book conveys powerful messages from suicide bombers, warning potential terrorists of the serious karmic consequences that await them. For anyone contemplating suicide or euthanasia, the book offers profound, sometimes unsettling, insight into the ramifications of these acts.

[edit on 1-3-2008 by yankeerose]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by thecry
I'm curious what happens to the soul when a person commits suicide.From what I heard it's a sin according to the bible but does it say exactly what God does to the soul?

To tell you the truth, nobody knows what God does with the soul of a victim of suicide

Everybody can given you opinions and experiences still base on opinions and interpretations gathered by the writings of others in the bible that obviously are based on the commandments.

If you are a religious believer, then you will know by the bible the response you looking for.

If you are feeling that is not enough then use your own judgment and you will find an answer that will make your life better.

Yes suicide is a very tragic thing, but is reasons why a person may fall victim to it, couping with the lost of a love one is hard and only time will bring Peace to the hart.

But if you or somebody that you know are thinking about suicide please find help because is always a way and life do not have to end on tragedy.

[edit on 1-3-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Woah! I am shocked that some people are so out of touch that they can't see that anyone who takes their own life (with a few rare exceptions) could be held responsible for their actions and be called selfish, egotistical or anything else. They are ill people who are too far gone to have any comphrehension of the consequences of what they are doing.

As for the topic, does anyone honestly think that a question like this could be definatively answered on an internet board - even ATS. LOL!

No one "really" knows, and no one ever will till they get to the other side. People can only believe things till then, and none of us can prove our beliefs to another, we can only share them, and sometimes pass them on.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I agree it is the ultimate act of selfishness. It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Too bad people can't see that.

That being said, From a believers perspective : I think the cross covers it. It covers all other sins including murder if someone is a Christian. Say a Christian becomes clinically depressed and commits suicide. Christian doctrine says to me Jesus paid for that too.

I have heard that suicide is unforgivable straight ticket to hell blah blah blah
However I have never seen that in the Bible. I would like someone to show me that verse. I am guessing it is a Catholic teaching and not form the Bible proper.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by h3akalee
Those who take there own live's are selfish plain and simple we all have hurdles in our lives some have more than other's.

There is no excuse to take your own life as you are simply leaving those that love you behind and thus making it harder for them.

Now im shure that those that commit suicide are not punished for there action's God is love after all.

But anyone who kill's them self that i know or hear about i loose any respect i had for them right on the spot.

There is alway's choice no matter what mental state you are in everyone makes there own choice.

Plain and simple, with this in my opinion absolute unbelievable naive and heartless answers of yours, you show to me that you have absolute no idea in what terrible circumstances [physical of mental] many of those people live before they ultimate come to this terrible act of killing themselves.
I said many, because there are exceptions for who I have another thought.
One example of that is, people who kill themselves after a total unnecessary aggressive action and taking the lives of others in that action for absolute no reason at all.

I'm curious what happens to the soul when a person commits suicide. From what I heard it's a sin according to the bible but does it say exactly what God does to the soul?

Its my personal opinion that the soul of someone who commits suicide, gets another path when he enters the spiritual world then someone who doesn’t.
And the direction of that path depends very strongly on the reason why the suicide was committed.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
If my suicide attempts had worked, I would be in hell.
I wasn't a Christian and I tried it many times.
Slitting my wrists.
Overdosing on stelazine,
overdosing on other things.

Now, my maternal Grandmother shot herself with my mother in the next room.
The difference is,
She was a Christian. Overcome with Depression.
Now, while she would lose rewards and face more judgment, I wouldn't want to face Jesus after committing self-murder.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

My question to you would be, 'Why are you seeking this advice?"

Just wanted to make sure you were not in a depressed state of some sort and hoping someone could provide some answers to something you have been considering in your mind.

[edit on 1-3-2008 by jdposey]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
jdposey

I am glad that you also noticed, I am very worry about this member and this thread.

I hope that is just out of curiosity he or she is asking.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Yes, that was the first thing that came to my mind, especially with the name: Thecry, kind of set off a red flag.

Hopefully Thecry will come back and confirm one way or the other and if it be something indeed personal, then perhaps we can help in some way.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   

But everyone is selfish, some more than others.

What if you have no family to speak of? What if you leave them with a million dollar insurance policy? What if, by dying you actually improve the lives of others?

If God loves them, why not should you?

How do you gauge their selfishness vs. your own? Actually they are becoming less selfish by not being here. They will actually sin no more.

Contrary, it takes quite a bit of bravery to take that kind of leap of faith. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

How do you know there are always choices? Have you encountered every problem and do you reckon people deal with issues the way you do? Everything you've said so far has been solely from your perspective alone as if it is all encompassing. "If I can do it you can do it" is asinine. Thats like telling a paraplegic person they could walk if they truly wanted to, but they are just weak minded.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

Yeah, take care, I guess.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

Ben91069
Good, Lord, I hope you never work for a suicide crisis hotline!

[edit on 1-3-2008 by jdposey]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by spacevisitor

Maybe i have more idea than most ?

I have first hand experiance of the damage someone taking there life can have on those left behind.

There are still problem's to come in the future from this pure selfish act.

The person i am talking about took there life 9 year's ago and in another few years the pain of there actions will be felt again.

By someone else when an explantion must be given to them the truth must be given to them.

It's impossible to even put the same two peaple in the same sentence so i changed the sentence.

That is all i will say.

I will not argue the case with you my point's and feeling's were made very clear and i stick by them.

If you kill yourself you are a selfish cruel coward.

It takes a bigger person inside to keep on fighting and staying alive that is all i can say.

I try to forgive this person now and again but cant i know for shure that in there final moments there was maybe some panic.

A regret of there action's and indeed a feeling that they did not want to die.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 1-3-2008 by h3akalee]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I wouldnt judge Lee too harshly without knowing what causes that opinion.

It could be, (though I am not saying it is the case) that he has lost someone that way.

One thing suicides do not seem to realize is the price the people who love them are going to pay. The suicidal person may have themselves convinced that no one will care, everyone is better off without them, etc. But I have never seen this to be the case. Everyone I know who lost someone to suicide is devastated. You feel the normal sadness and grief anyone feels with a death, but the guilt, the wondering if you should have known, if there was something you could have said, or done, is agonizing. It has taken me years, and years to get to a place where I can even write about my brother. No question, hands down, the worst thing I have ever experienced in my life.

However, coming from that experience, and having met others who did as well, I know that some people go through a stage of real anger at the person who killed themself. Especially if the loved one was a parent, or the person who remains was young when the suicide occurred. It IS unfair to those left behind. No matter how difficult things were for the person who commits suicide, they havent cured the problem, they have handed it off to those who love them in spades. Even though I know they dont realize this at the time.

It does cause HUGE amounts of pain, and to be honest, killing yourself to leave your family money would be a horrible thing to do. I cant speak for everyone, but I would rather have my brother than a BILLION dollars. There is no amount of money that makes up for the loss of someone you love.

So, be easy on someone who seems overly vindictive towards suicide. They may be just very judgmental, it is always a possibility. But it is also quite possible that they are dealing with a stage in the grieving process, anger, and jumping all over them is just adding insult to injury. Unless you know for sure, I think compassionate non-judgment is the safest route to take.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join