It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Islam Fit With Our Law (English Law)?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   

English law and Islamic law differ in principle and in application. English law has been shaped in large part by the principles and history of Christian culture, but acknowledges no duty of obedience to any revelation, scripture or doctrine ascribed to God. In current practice, it attends closely to the rights and freedoms of the individual and protects them against curtailment from the state or from corporate power.

It is the prime duty of all Muslims to follow, as much as they are able, the traditions of Islamic law, which include the principles imparted by Allah to the Prophet Muhammad. Islamic law has tended to protect and strengthen the community in which, it is intended, the individual can then live a devout, good and ordered life.

business.timesonline.co.uk...

According to my view Muslims living an Islamic life do fit in as law-abiding citizens under British law.

But Islam is a whole way of life, you can't incorporate bits and pieces of it into another legal system. That would just lead to a grotesque patchwork of dysfunctional and incoherent laws.

However, it does seem to fit in with what the legislators like to do now: lurch from one 'solution' to the next, ('responding' to whatever public opinion they put in the media!) seizing whichever one seems best at the time, with no obvious policy to guide them.

[edit on 1-3-2008 by Attari]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
In my veiw too the vast majority of muslims, being just like anyone else manage to modify their beliefs and practices because they want a quiet life and just to get on. I don't deny that there is a problem with the supporters of radical islam and those who hope to impose it upon everyone or at least create pockets within this Island where it holds sway. I won't swerve away from the uncomfortable statement that the Islamic community has to take it's share of responsibility in policing it's own to keep a lid on it, but it's also incumbent on the rest of us to employ a bit of common sense too and not turn every spouting fanatic into a spokesman for the whole of Islam or british Muslims.

There are issues and beliefs within Islam that clash with our own laws on democracy and equality but that can also be said about certain strands of belief and practice within the Catholic, Jewish and Hindu religions, all of which manage to co-exist relatively peacefully within our framework of laws and politics. They too have their orthodox members just like Islam.

The problems we face at present I think are far more political in nature, the religious issue is secondary but is co-opted by all sides with their own agenda to stir up trouble.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
In my view, law should be completely secular. We've seen (and can still see) what happens when religion and politics intertwine. The result is never good for the average person - look at Christendom, or Iran or Saudi Arabia today. Hence, no religion should really fit within our law.

And honestly, I've never seen huge demonstrations for Sharia law to be introduced - it seems to have stemmed from two elements:

1) A small but vocal minority within Britain's Muslim community.

2) The press and the politicians (and the Archbishop of Canterbury!) using this group for their own ends (i.e. to sell newspapers and get attention).

I suspect the average Muslim on the streets of the UK is perfectly happy with British law - it doesn't prevent them from doing anything that mainstream Islam requires to my knowledge.

If we start adding in laws for one religion, why not start adding them from Judaism or Hinduism or Buddhism? It sets a precedent that is unworkable and dangerous.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ste2652
In my view, law should be completely secular.

Stone me, I totally agree.

The UK legal system should remain secular. Our ancestors fought through blood and guts to separate the state from religion at the legal level. I cannot believe that there is even a discussion that somehow religion can be re-introduced, especially Sharia! God help us.

English law is based on precedent and evolves on that basis. Sharia law is based on interpretation of a religious text - the Quran - and different branches of Islam follow different interpretations or approaches.

The EU Court for Human Rights says Sharia is incompatible with democratic principles.

Regards

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Sharia is actually obtained from the Hadith, not really the Qu'ran. Personally, I think these Hadith's are questionable at best, seeing as they were first written 200 years after Muhammed died, whereas the Qu'ran is the "Word of God". It's funny that people will follow the Hadith, even when it contravenes what was stated in the Qu'ran.

top topics

join