It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member's Vigil for Posts Button

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Not the John Lear Forum, there are many other threads that would serve better.

So this is the fourth thread over the same issue, this time started by me, so when it is closed down without my question(s) being answered I will be able to document staff incompetency, to wit follows the question thusly:

Every other forum I have seen uses an outline by subject, or date, or author. Even if it is older, it still works like a post button feature. Why can't we agree on using this method?

Is technology suddenly unable to deliver what it used to?

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
The progress of this was explained here, yesterday.

I'm unclear as to why our repeated explanations regarding needed infrastructure upgrades on this wildly-busy free-access website are unsatisfactory to you.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

They are not unsatisfactory, I simply had no clue you posted your answer in another thread.

Unless you are addressing the crowd, which has different standards of judgment.

It looked as if the last thread was closed after a short tiff between the mods and some members, completely ignoring MY inquiry.

Perhaps from now on I should read all the threads in Board Business and Questions for an answer whenever I post a question, even if the title is misleading?

edit to add: I still don't know why you don't use the mass U2U feature to avoid my coming here and making myself look like an ass, other than phishing for responses.

Yes, that is all I have to say on the matter for the moment.

[edit on 3/1/2008 by Matyas]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matyas
Perhaps from now on I should read all the threads in Board Business and Questions

Or... maybe it'd just make more sense to believe the reasons and answers I gave when the questions about the "all posts" button/link were first raised?

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

It looked as if the last thread was closed after a short tiff between the mods and some members, completely ignoring MY inquiry.

So this is the fourth thread over the same issue, this time started by me.

I smell a rat, although perhaps it's a mouse.

The two are very similar i find.

[edit on 1-3-2008 by Throbber]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
This is a great example of my pet peeve:

Please ATS - for the love of Mike - use the Search Function!

Thank you and no offence directed to the OP.

[edit on 1/3/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Throbber
I smell a rat, although perhaps it's a mouse.

Rats have unfair treatment. They are given the bad rap in spite of the fact they are the most sociable critters.

If its a mouse then I hope there is some grease in his future.

Now, about MY inquiry, as I have emphasized for your benefit, every other forum I have been on lists the posts in a truncated outline fashion by subject, author, date, and so on.

They don't need a posts button, or a search feature, although many have some kind of search feature. So why not here? What is it that makes it so hard to get a straight answer?

If you don't know what I am talking about, I will post a screenshot.

-squeak! squeak!

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   

as I have emphasized for your benefit, every other forum I have been on lists the posts in a truncated outline fashion by subject, author, date, and so on.

And as I have indicated in a few responses on the subject, few other forums have a 4+ million record database of full-text-indexed records totaling more than 6 gigabytes of data... with an average of over 2,000 queries a second on that data.

No off-the-shelf forum software could handle our size and activity level with a reasonable amount of hardware. You'll find that as activity/size increases, many ultra-large forums completely disable such features.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord...6 gigabytes of data... with an average of over 2,000 queries a second on that data.

Thank you, thank you, SO, I had no idea there were that many queries per second on that amount.

That's the kinda answers I am looking for, straight to the point. It'll do fine for now.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Matyas

I understand you had a question, but there's no need to talk to him like you're his boss.

[That's the kinda answers I am looking for, straight to the point. It'll do fine for now.

It'll do fine if he thinks so. Do you think the owners/staff answer to you?

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

Justifiably I expected to catch hell from this. In changing my tone I got the results I needed as opposed to being submissive thereto, or descend again to bread and water replies.

In similar vein neither is SO my boss. We share a common interest, the welfare of the forum. His investment is time and capital. Ours, as in the members as well as my own, is time. Ideally we are supposed to work together as illustrated here.

It occurs to me staff is in burnout, or good portions of it. In my own experience turning up the fire a notch temporarily remedies some symptoms. But then again I am a mouse, or at worse, a rat, so what harm can I be?

top topics

join