It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Francisco Disobeys State Law: Society Lows?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Yes, the great SF, the city by the Bay, the "Gay-Marriage" center right now, has, yes, it has, the mayor, and the citizens have - broken a state law. And they are going to get away with it. Why? Because good ol' Gov. Arnie won't do anything about it. And Bush? Who knows? He made a statement, but won't enforce a CONSTITUTIONAL law? Hmm..

Well, lets start from the beginning, shall we? As we all know, hundreds of gay couples are flocking to SF to marry. Now, state law 'states' that marriage is solely between a man and a woman. This is Constitutional law, my friends. Proposition 22 - which was passed a few years ago, by more than 2/3 of the states population - is being disobeyed? First off, heres the link:

Foxnews.com

Prop. 22 limits legal marriage to heterosexual couples within the state of California. Now, homosexual marriage has been attempted before, such as in Alabama, but was denied, because it was against the law. Now, here in California, the same thing is happening. Hundreds upon hundreds of couples are getting married - violating state law! And the MAYOR himself supports it! It seems as if S.F. is going rogue!

Myself, I have no problem with homosexuals marrying, homosexual relationships, or the like, because I am not homophobic, but when you violate a state a law, a U.S. law, and can get away with it, something needs to be done. This is our society degrading folks.

What does Gov. Arnie and Pres. Bush have to say about it?

Here is our Governor's official statement:

"Californians spoke on the issue of same-sex marriage when they overwhelmingly approved California's law that defines marriage as being between a man and a woman," Schwarzenegger said in a statement. "I support that law and encourage San Francisco officials to obey that law. The courts should act quickly to resolve this matter." (See bottom of text on link page)

Great, he is going to ENCOURAGE them to obey the law. He, has governor, has the responsibility to ENFORCE the state law, not ENCOURAGE it! W.T.F.? What kind of governor is he?

This is our society degrading. I repeat. Our society degrading before our eyes. Not because homosexuals are getting married, but because laws are being broken, and they are being encouraged by state officials. If they wanted to remove that certain law, they should take it to court, not stand out openly and disobey the law, and, meanwhile, the law enforcement cannot arrest them because a) the mayor supports it and b) the governor won't do anything about it!

What kind of state is this? The message this is putting out is this: They don't like the law, so they don't obey it.

Now, that sends the wrong message, definately so. It is against the law to commit incest, but hey, whats it matter if you don't like the law! Go ahead and do it! Hey! Thats a nice window, let's throw a rock at it! Its against the law, but hey, I don't like the law, so who cares!

I mean, lets get real folks. This law needs to be enforced, yes, homosexual marriage, right now, is illegal. If they don't like it, take it to court. You don't openly go against the government without something being done about it. Pres. Bush is sitting back and making a statement. He should be sending in police to make arrests, and the governor of California should be sending in law enforcement to arrest the Mayor of SF himself, he too broke a law! Come on folks..this really is our society degrading before us..when, in this land, you can break a law on this scale and get away with it, we have lost our ways for now. . .

What does everyone think about this, this really bothered me. How about you?

-wD

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I think this is really stupid, and unless the Fab Five are raping you in a dark alley it shouldnt matter to you.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Well, it matters to me because I LIVE in S.F. And yes, this is my City, and I will not have it disobeying Constitutional laws, you see. You have not stated why you think it is stupid either, really, I mean, opinions might be backed up with links of facts..who am I kidding...its 2004?

-wD

EDIT: No..it wasn't in a dark alley...it was in the day..

[Edited on 18-2-2004 by WeBDeviL]

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeBDeviL
Well, it matters to me because I LIVE in S.F. And yes, this is my City, and I will not have it disobeying Constitutional laws, you see. You have not stated why you think it is stupid either, really, I mean, opinions might be backed up with links of facts..who am I kidding...its 2004?

-wD

EDIT: No..it wasn't in a dark alley...it was in the day..

[Edited on 18-2-2004 by WeBDeviL]

I dont really need to link anything. Its just the fact that the "Good Christian Government" is stepping way outside its bounds. now theyre getting into peoples personal lives.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
How do you expect the gov. to enforce laws. That is not his place nor his job.

He could ask others to step in, which they should.

There are plenty of laws being broken in Cali, to include the illegal immagrent issue.

Cali is #ed up and will be for a long time.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
So basically you want the National Guard to go in and beat some heads?

That's just what the gay right's movement needs... a Selma Alabama.

I've watched some coverage of the thousands of couples to marry. It's awesome. The joy, and oppressed and denied people cheering. The law is wrong and they're challenging it, just like a black sitting at a lunch counter in the 60's.

Good for them. I'd be proud of SF if it was my city.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
lots of laws are overlooked, it is nothing new....its just that someone realized it was a law sooner than usual. constitutional law also says soldiers can come stay in your house (very loose interpretation, just trying to get a point across) and nobody really enforces that if my cousin were to walk up to you and say gimme a bed biatch! and you slam the door in his face. its just that laws die out over time and it takes too long to CHANGE a law or add a new one, so it goes unused and just kinda hangs out in the constitution.

other laws are enforced without being in the constitution too. "separation of church and state"? guess what, nowhere in the constitution, its not a law though some people act as if it is. its simple case precedent. and cases concerning it can be stomped out by other laws. but "separation of church and state" isnt in there.

all im saying is that they will either enforce it, change the law, or just overlook it, most likely the third option. and damn i wrote a whole lot that couldve been summed up in one sentence.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   
If you guys are the infamous 'land of the free' why wont you let gays marry... not very free if a minority cant even wed... i'm straight but i work with many gay people and they are people like the rest of us and i cant see why they cant marry... because some christian fundamentalists cant get with the time? its ridiculous if you ask me.. how will it effect your life if they marry or not? it wont so why stop them... pfft land of the free my ass!

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
(sigh) Some people are all for "state's rights" until it comes to something they disagree with. Like California allowing gay marriage.....

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   
You knwo what they say... its the homophobes that end up being gay... insecurity...

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
There is a very easy way to make certain levels of government follow the rules, either hold up or deny them certain funding. Works for me.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
There is a very easy way to make certain levels of government follow the rules, either hold up or deny them certain funding. Works for me.

If the rules are justified i am all for upholding them and taking action to do so... but when the rule is denying someone their rights as a free individual then i think everyone who is interested in doing so should break those rules... in the case of gay marriages i am still to here a good reason to why they shouldn't be allowed to elope

new topics

top topics

join