It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going to Fairbanks to view aurora...advice?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I am visiting Fairbanks, Alaska to (hopefully) view the northern lights next February......brrrrrrrr! Does anyone have any advice regarding hotels, things to do, viewing spots, how many layers of clothes do I need? I've been all over the web, and I have my Fairbanks travel guide, but I would love to hear from those who live there or have visited.

I would really appreciate any suggestions. This is a trip that I've wanted to make for so long and we are finally going to make it happen.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Hello. I followed your link from ATS.

I live on an air force base outside of Fairbanks. And this area is FABULOUS for seeing the auroras. In fact here are some pictures from the other across the street from my house:

Unfortunately, didnt get video...as they were dancing this night!

Just know that this past Feb (08) we had temps that were reaching NEGATIVE 40. It is flippn cold this time of year.

So many layers are in order. If you arent used to the temps here, it might feel unbearable - seriously. However, those who have lived here for awhile NEG 10 is very bearable. In fact, most schools let the kids play outside up to NEG 10. Crazy, huh?

The best places to view it are anywhere outside of Fairbanks. Even though Fairbanks isnt what I call a "real city"....LOL....there is still too much lights in townn to get good views. But driving just 5min away from town you can get some awesome shows.

Any more questions, just let me know! You can U2U me if you want!

[edit on 3-3-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Beautiful pics!!! Thanks for the post and I will take you up on the u2u's as we plan and the questions start flowing. With any luck, this time next year I will have my own pics.

join