It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mock Gunman Terrifies Students

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Mock Gunman Terrifies Students

www.newsobserver.com

An armed man who burst into a classroom at Elizabeth City State University was role-playing in an emergency response drill, but neither the students nor assistant professor Jingbin Wang knew that.

"I was prepared to die at that moment," Wang said Tuesday.

The Friday drill, in which a mock gunman threatened panicked students in the American foreign policy class with death, prompted university officials to apologize this week to Wang and offer counseling to faculty and students.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I can't understand how none of the administrators appreciate how damaging this could have been for a lot of people. This being terrorism at its worst. Not only is the class in danger, but the 'gunman' as well, since for all anyone knows, someone could decide to be a hero and take out the threat.

And to not tell anyone, including the assistant prof. That's just messed up. I can see a few lawsuits coming from this event.

www.newsobserver.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   

The mock intruder, a campus police officer, carried a red plastic model gun, according to a university news release.

At one point, Wang said, the man threatened to kill the student who had the lowest grade point average. Wang offered to let him sit in his class, he said, but the man rejected attempts at negotiation.

I bet this guy had a great time doing it too. He was cracking jokes that probably weren't to funny to the slow kid in the class.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I was hoping someone else might find this interesting. This is supposed to be an institute of higher learning, and they pull some dome crap like this.

Would you stand it if your boss had a mock gunman run up into your school or work to prove a point?

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Wow, they arn't trying to scare the american people into submission at all eh. The more scared people are, the more freedoms they can take away. I wouldn't be suprised to see more of this. Maybe some fake terrorist attacks to show how unprepared people are, and how we must submit to Homeland Security some more. We live in the age of fear. Next thing you know the US will be attack contries because they have the potential to attack the US, wait....wait... too late.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Really bizarre

What if a student, not realizing it was a drill, had decided to take matters into his own hands?

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
This is just terrible!!!

Scaring these people like that is no joke and i can guarantee you also, it WAS NO MISTAKE. THIS was done on purpose.

I hope the next time a student shoots their arses off, then we'll see who's going to take the blame!!!

My first instinct out of fear would be to throw the nearest heaviest object IN SELF DEFENSE...I wonder how that would pan out in todays courts.

Just plain SICK!

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
ONLY IN AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

The intruder instructed Wang to close the door and then ordered the seven students to line up along the wall.

I can't believe that anyone actually followed instructions and lined up against the wall.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Would you be the guy who said no and was made an example of?

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tenebrous
Wow, they arn't trying to scare the american people into submission at all eh. The more scared people are, the more freedoms they can take away. I wouldn't be suprised to see more of this. Maybe some fake terrorist attacks to show how unprepared people are, and how we must submit to Homeland Security some more. We live in the age of fear.

Exactly. Fear. It made it ok to go to war with Afganistan and Iraq, it made passing the patriot act...a "patriotic" duty. But the American people have started controling the fear that use to rise up inside of them at the announcment of a code Orange...so its the governments job to reinstate that fear...so that it will be ok to continue invading countries and taking away civil liberties.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Fear is what allowed the Nazi's to take power, except then it was communists. Now we have terrorists.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by CPYKOmega

wow. three laughies!

funny stuff.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
He's lucky he didn't get shot, or beaten to death. If a gunman came into my classroom, I would have thrown caution to the wind, and attempted to take him down. And If I succeeded in taking his gun, I most likely would have beaten him to death with it, or shot him with it.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
All this talk of they'd have taken him down, tried to be a hero etc is all talk from the comfort of your living room and also not to mention the stupid thing to do. Even the police say that trying to engage the shooter is a very bad idea.

Coming to the 'simulation', unless he shot a few students and other students saw their fellow students fall to this guys bullets, it wouldnt bring true fear and the magnitude of fear that a real incident would have. They should have had some students in on it as well complete with blood and being shot to recreate it fully. Because the initial reaction is mostly shock and bewilderment, only when they realize people are dying does the 'fear' set in. I would rate this simulation as poor compared to the real thing.

new topics

top topics

join