It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pizza and beer now costs an arm and a leg

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Pizza and beer now costs an arm and a leg

www.msnbc.msn.com

If you’re looking for a sure sign the U.S. economy is headed for a recession, all you need to do is look at the skyrocketing price of “recession-proof” foods: pizza, hot dogs, bagels and beer.

For many Americans, the credit crunch and the mortgage mess have left their pocketbooks – and their cupboards – bare. These same consumers, many living paycheck to paycheck, have relied on these cheaper foods to keep their expenditures down. Not anymore.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I was shocked that wheat prices in some cases had gone from $3-7 a bushel to $25 a bushel. I guess we'll soon be echoing Marie Antoinette's advice - "Let them eat cake." Except cake requires wheat, too.

The spike in wheat prices has been attributed to ethanol production and farmers choosing to plant corn instead of wheat because they make more money. With peak oil, this can only increase problems with food production as fields are dedicated more and more to fuel production.

It makes me wonder what the next shoe to fall will be...

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
For those of you who like pizza, why not try to make it yourselves?

Just get a ball of pizza dough at the deli, usually $1.00, let it rise for a few hours, punch it down, flip it up ^^^ grab a hold of that sucker and stretch it (you can do it) I use a greased baking pan, square, pop the dough there and throw any sauce i have available, onions, peppers, some meat if you want, lots of cheese and bake it. It comes out delicious and the cost is about $2.00.

Skip the beer. Its not good to drink that stuff. :shk:

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Your $1 pizza dough may cost more now that wheat has gone up. There was a spike from $5-7 to $25 a bushel. That's a 500% increase.

I've made pizza at home before. It works well. It is convenient to be able to order it now and again, though.

I think the spike in pizza and beer is symptomatic of a much larger problem.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
you should really worry when essential goods prices start to rise

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
These price hikes are all related to the price of gas, because everything needs to be trucked. Also, farmers aren't using scythes anymore and tractors are gas hogs.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

If it's related to peak oil, we're in a big hurt because the problems will only get worse from here on out.

I would anticipate hunger spreading to far larger swathes of the planet as the problem escalates.

Given how much of our economy has been shipped overseas, along with the jobs that go with it, WE may be the ones who end up hungry.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Beers not fun??? Yikes!! - pizza without beer is like....well, errmm...for once I'm lost for words (shocking, I know).

Heck - even beer is pretty easy to make. A coupla large, food grade plastic vats, sugar, yeast and a few other cheap ingredients and you'll have your own basement brewery happening in a few days..

J.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
This is to be expected....NOW...when the price of ramen noodles goes up...the ---- is about to hit the fan.

Right now you can buy 8 for $1 in my local grocery store. I'll be watching closely..lol

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
These price hikes are all related to the price of gas, because everything needs to be trucked. Also, farmers aren't using scythes anymore and tractors are gas hogs.

True, but the price of gas is in large part a result of inflation here in the states. Thus, the move by other countries rich in oil to move away from dollar denomination aka. our Reserve Currency status. When they cut us lose things will get even worse. Our worthless paper will begin its return to its intrinsic value - Zero! (Voltaire)

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

Ahhh! I'm sooo familiar with what i call the "Phoenix lunch" (everyone there eats those darn noodles for lunch)...they used to be 16 cents for the ones in the little chinese style package, now they're almost a buck!!!

Its nice to order out, but we are going to have to start improvising!! BTW, yes, that ball of dough today cost me 1.59!!!!!

Still, its a cheap meal. Now that we're going to be a third world country i expect to be making lotsa bread and cooking a lot of corn meal, making my own pasta (thats fun!)

I'm still looking for a tricycle (three wheeled bike) just to clarify, i dont want to miss out on those lovely summer outings to the beach.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I have been seeing a lot of this lately and I have been doing a lot of thinking about the subject as well.

Firstly pertaining to the foods in the OP beer nonessential so it would not be bought if my money is growing thin (besides I hate the stuff anyway, Crown Royal is much better). Pizza I would not order because I could make it cheaper at home myself. It is about spending wisely and on the necessary things that matters.

As for my original thought on this post, I am sad to say I think a large number of Americans (not referring to anyone here) are flat out stupid. The reason I say this I seen a news story the other day where they were interviewing people about the rising cost of food. All of them were complaining about how they are feeling it in their wallets, the kicker is they were all sitting in a restaurant dining out. One was some elderly woman who was talking about being on a limited income but had the cash to dine out. I wanted to smack all of them and ask if they were hurting so badly how they could afford to dine out.

My wife and I very rarely get fast food or dine out because it is really a waste of cash. On occasion we treat ourselves to a nice meal, but we are not talking about how we are hurting because of the rising cost of food either. We don’t make huge amounts of money but we also do not spend the money we make on a bunch of useless garbage either.

I recall hearing a story some time back that many Americans are buying their groceries with credit cards because they cannot afford it any other way. If they are doing this they will never get ahead nor will they get caught up, if they cannot afford it to start with. What they need to do is sit down and start to remove the nonessentials from their life.

Yeah I really think many Americans have lost their minds. Why go out and spend like you have endless cash and then complain because you are broke, starving, and losing your house. Again I am not speaking about anyone here just speaking in the general form.

Raist

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Using permaculture techniques, a normal households front and back yard can be utilized to grow enough food for several families (climate permitting). If you've never grown your own food before I suggest practicing now with at least a small garden.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Just get a ball of pizza dough at the deli, usually $1.00, let it rise for a few hours, punch it down, flip it up ^^^ grab a hold of that sucker and stretch it (you can do it) I use a greased baking pan, square, pop the dough there and throw any sauce i have available, onions, peppers, some meat if you want, lots of cheese and bake it. It comes out delicious and the cost is about $2.00.

I don't know where you live, but you can't even get the cheese for two bucks, much less all the rest of the ingredients.

Lets make a list with whatever I can find on sale this week. No pizza dough, but a small bag of bagels is $2.50, so we'll make pizza bagels. 6.67-ounce bag of crappy mozzarella, instead of the real-deal, $3. One 28-ounce can of tomato, $1.25. So we're already at $6.75 without any additional toppings. But we're not done yet.

Add in the cost of cooking gas or electricity. Now you also have to add in the cost of cleanup as well. Neither water nor detergent are free. So now you're getting up to almost eight bucks for pizza, buying stuff that's on sale.

Better off getting a few people to throw down on some Pizza Mia. If you can stand corpoprate pizza that is.

If you really want to know the truth about America's food supply...
"Let Them Eat Cake!"

[edit on 2/29/0808 by jackinthebox]

[edit on 2/29/0808 by jackinthebox]

top topics

join