It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The presidency and power and the people.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Can you name me one US president that actually cared for the well being of the people of which he serves(d) and that of the world? I'd probably have to go back to the early presidency for it.

I think most people who are after the presidency do it for personal prestige, pride, or power. What do you think.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I think you'd have to be privy to the men themselves, which none of us are.

I'm sure there have been some greedy bastards and some legitimate men, but you can not tell by policy alone. No one knows the true reasons men do what they do.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
People become Leaders for ONE reason .....POWER. From the lowest gang or tribal leader to the president of the USA or CEO of a large company.

Power, women, money.....

Did I leave any thing out?

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
That's bull#. Not all people become leaders for power.

Believe it or not, not everyone has dreams of lording over people.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   

They only want to help us poor unwashed masses.....Come on....LOL

I guess I am just a little more cynical than you are

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

No, youre just more realistic. People become president for their own gain.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cearbhall
Can you name me one US president that actually cared for the well being of the people of which he serves(d) and that of the world? I'd probably have to go back to the early presidency for it.

I think most people who are after the presidency do it for personal prestige, pride, or power. What do you think.

Sure I can name him, but you won't like it. CARTER. Hands down the most moral, selfless, giving President we've had. Not a GOOD President mind you, but a GREAT man.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cearbhall

Abraham Lincoln.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tetsuo-51

Originally posted by Amuk

No, youre just more realistic. People become president for their own gain.

I'd take it even further and say that all people do everything for their own gain in the end. Even charitable acts are for the gain of the person doing them (to feel good about one's self, to stay out of hell, etc.).

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Jethro I absolutely HATE to be on your side especially for your views on homosexuals, but I have no choice.

He is pointing out more of you posessive, savage traits, you see Amuk, you apply traits to others that you yourself have, but not everyone is like you. Just as not everyone thinks that being in bed with a child means you want to have sex with them, not everyone also desires to have power over others lives, some people enter politics to make a change, or defend their beliefs. Not for power, even if they need power for that change, it is not about that, many would gladly give up their power, and rather have their beliefs forever defended without their presence.

Yes you did leave something else, just what are you implying by saying women is something people in power want, are you trying to say that only heterosexual males go into power, and that they are all perverted only thinking of sex? Well, would it not be a rude awakening to you if a female became president, I hope it happens! Females have just as much right to be top ranks in companies, or politics. Many women are already CEO's of large companies and are very successful. A woman has also been Prime Minister in Canada before. It is not just a male dominated society as you wish it to be.

If anything mentioned, he is more cynical, not realistic at all, just his perception is so dark of the world, and all that goes on.

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by QuestForSafety]

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Lincoln. the man did everything for the compelte own good of the nation and the union. his whole life, right to the end of it was honest and for the betterment of mankind.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   

He is pointing out more of you posessive, savage traits, you see Amuk, you apply traits to others that you yourself have, but not everyone is like you.

SSSSHHHHHH

Adults are talking

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I'd take it even further and say that all people do everything for their own gain in the end. Even charitable acts are for the gain of the person doing them (to feel good about one's self, to stay out of hell, etc.).

I agree 100%

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Well Amuk, if adults are talking perhaps those with a mental age of 4 years old should take their leave, and I am afraid that means you.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Yes, Carter was there to help the people. However, his honesty got in the way and the people shoveled him on out. That is a true testament to the American people. He was so serious the nite he wore the sweater and told everyone to turn down their thermostats and conserve energy. Now look at us. Everyone driving around gas guzzling SUVs, polluting the air.

We continue to add lane after lane in our metropolitan areas and guess what? They are filled to the max a year later. This nation has to learn what sacrifice is. The poor do it everyday. I guess when ALL our children have asthma, when the trees can't keep up changing the carbon monoxide to oxygen, and the interstates are at a standstill because they can't build anymore lanes we MIGHT finally wake up and consider the alternatives.

I was stationed in Germany for 1 1/2 years back in the mid 70s and didn't own an automobile. Guess what? I got around everywhere just fine. Of course, I did have to walk two blocks to get on the trolley. Something unthinkable by the masses in today's "Great American Society."

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Socrates said that the best leaders are those who don't want to lead. In that case I would say Cheney for the 135 minutes Bush was having his colonoscopy.

new topics

top topics

join