It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people choose to register as an independent?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I mean, if one was to register for an independent, wouldn't that be like throwing away your vote in the primaries? In a two party system wouldn't it be more sensible to vote for a party that is running?

[edit on 29-2-2008 by Maverickhunter]

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I'm registered independent, foremost because it reflects my views, I agree with both parties on various issues, and second because I don't get tons of political calls around voting time.

There are open, semi-open, and closed primaries. Independents can vote in the first two in whatever primary they want. My state happens to have an open primary so...all's good.

You're also less likely to have party propoganda thrust upon you as an Independent.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Maverickhunter

I have always voted independent. I don't believe the Democratic or Repuclican parties have the US in their best interest.

Call it a protest vote.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Political Parties are part of what are destroying our country. Rather than thinking in a "You & Me" type mindset we should think in an "Us" Mindset. We should try to make compromises that make the vast amount of Americans somewhere in the middle of Diehard Republican and Democrat happy. People shouldn't vote for someone who will stand up for one specific type of ideology when half of the country doesn't agree with them. As an independent I feel I can vote for the most qualified candidate who will best protect the constitution and protect the rights of the people; Rather then just voting for whoever the Media/Party Leaders tell me to vote for.

In my state I can vote in either primary as an Independent so it is only an advantage to be one. Honestly all primaries should be open.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Here is a question... if you are pro-death penalty, and pro-choice, what party do you register with?

Personally, I find myself voting for the candidate. Sometimes they are republican, sometimes democrat. It depends on what their individual platform is.

Because I don't find myself 100% in agreement with a specific party, I am registered as indepedant.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Yep, a protest vote is exactly what it is. I am also a registered
Independent. I was a Republican for 45 years, partly because of
my Republican family upbringing. However, during this time, I actually
voted for Jimmy Carter, a democrat, and for Bill Clinton's second
time around, another pretty well known Democrat, for those who
haven't a clue.

I am now of neither party, simply because I am filled to the gills with
the smoke and BS from both sides. Just plain and simple sick of all of
them.

It is sort of nice when certain folks want to start talking politics, I tell
them I am a registered Independent, and they usually don't want to
include me in their drivel. Yeeeehaaaaw!

Here is one reason I became bored with both sides of the fence.
Have you ever noticed that during the pre-election hype and holler,
that all we hear of these folks is "We Need" to do this or that or this
or that. Well guess what, I already know what we need, as I am sure
that most other Americans do also. Count up the times these guys
and gals say the term "We Need" in a single night of debating. I want
to upchuck my Chucky Cheese listening to these dimrods. It is high
time they got busy and started doing the things they keep telling us we need.
Ok, I am done now. Just another Independents thought on how I don't
need either party.

ZOOMER

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
When your fed up with the current system the only way to get the Phat cats to open their eyes is if more people register as independent. You can still vote however you want in the general + they live on the #'s.
Both parties promise everything when they run but forget about the people when elected.
It takes MIllions & Millions to get elected so if the democrats are for the little man then who's the Billioner standing behind them pulling the strings???????????

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
uuuh, i don't pay much attention to the whole party thing, but i am registered as well as an independent, even though i voted for john kerry last election, i just turned 18! but im registered in WA st. and i got sent both republican and democrat primary voter sheets via absentee ballot, you only send in one, but they send in both. . . actually come to think of it, i don't remember registering for a party at all. But if i did it would have definitly been independent. or GREEN party. . . legalize it. . . haha

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by immedicated

Please don't vote on the green party as a young voter because you think it legalizes some sort of herb.

This is your future and voting because you think it is cute, is really rather stupid.

Get educated, and be smart. As I said, it is your furture.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I agree that the party system does not benefit the country. It only allows a central group to pool money.

I have been an independent as long as I have been able to vote. Although within the 2 party system, I agree more with Republican views, I don't see it as enough of a reason to support 'every' Republican by joining a party.

It seems like the party system is designed to limit the need for people to listen to the candidates and research their history. It contributes to people in many cases blindly following someone without thinking how their proposed policies will affect the nation/state.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Im not registered with any party but if I had to sign up under one I would be an independent . Some of my would be considered a a republican view. Some of my beliefs would be considered libereal others would be consired conservative. I Simply wouldnt fit in to the republican or democratic party.

top topics

join