It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Smoking A Way Of "Control"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
Because Nicotine is a mild depressant. It is far, far, far more superior for people to self-medicate themselves than to have them dealing with the next nanny-state agenda the "morally superior" wish to foster upon the guilbe masses that buy their scare tactics hook, line and sinker.

Facts not told:

Only between 1 in 7 or 1 in 17 (depending on study) of regular pack a day smokers will ever develop cancer.

Smokers that engage in light to moderate exercise are healthier than non-smokers that engage in no to lightly-moderate exercise

Forrmaldahyde, a long time embalming solution, was vented in funeral parlors for years. It also occurs in homes as linoleum flooring and formica glue break down over time. It can kill cells on contact, kills bateria and fungi on contact, is highly carcigenic and is also used as preservative in vaccinations...ready for your flu shot?

Nicotine is broken down by the body very quickly, those that only have a few day versus 1+packs usually do not metabolise nicotine quickly due to a genetic defect in their liver.

Smokers pay more in taxes than non-smokers and have a lower lifespan on a small average by a few years. But then again the the ratio is also equal to non-smokers lifespan differences by the same few years. So it could be argued that smokers use less medical resources than diabetics and various geriatric condtions like Alzheimer's and general falls and broken bones and such requiring continous supervision.

Also since nicotine kills virus and bacteria, smokers suffer colds less often except for broncial infections and pneumonia due to being forced to endure the elements so others can think up new dumb crusades to enforce upon the masses uninterupted by voices of reason such as the new 10 foot law in strip clubs here in Ohio and Georgia residents unable to smoke in their cars because at 65mph a single smoke partical MIGHT enter an air conditioned SUV and be inhaled by a person who might not be immortal and therefore died of second-hand smoke.

As for now, those that start their anti-smoking crap with me while I am walking outside I kindly remind them that I am aware of many laws in Ohio including legal concealed carry laws and aske them which is a greater risk of an immediate life ending event?

No matter the study the easiest experiment can be conducted. Which would you prefer, 40 years sealed in a small garage with a heavy smoker or 40 minutes with a running car? Which has greater odds of survival? Which would have the worst effect after the study was over should both survive?

And for all those wishing to spew their distorted and heavy bias propaganda I'd like to give a specific command involving rope and urine but the T&C prevent me from saying what exactly to do. Perhaps "deep" research at google will provide the needed program to engage in your new mission.

**Sufficently worded to avoid a one-liner**

what your trying to say is smoking is cool and good? not really mate look @ what it does inside your body think about it.

wouldent u rather not smoke and not take drugs anmd drink healthy drinks like my special drink water + yogurt + salt + lemon salt + mint - blended and poured on ice now thats life refreshing nature not smoking smoking is like smoking tar fro mthe road if u have anything good t o say about it its the goverment makes money from it some how

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
What I am saying is that there are some benefits to smoking that are never discussed, not understood and completely glossed over by selective reading when agenda surplants objective reasoning in individuals. Worst of all are former smokers that think they need to evangilise their new health lifestyle.

Rather than open (or only visit) non-smoking establishments, your rights to entertainments superceded our rights to entertainment. Unfortunately those hot spots are not doing so hot now are they? I don't know many smokers that shoved a cigarette into anyone's mouth, lit it and said smoke it or beat you like a government mule. Yet one by one, states in the the USA and whole nations across the globe are in effect doing the same thing by enacting laws that beat us into submission by fines or loss of business license to owners that allow smoking in public buildings.

The blind banner waving grassroots movements are organised and started by small groups named American Heart and Lung Association and the American Cancer Society that prey on children and the gullible that can not discern propaganda from objective presentation.

So tell me, will these people shut up and go away if the world outlawed smoking and performed instant executions with malace to anyone caught smoking? No, there is no end to powermongering. Next will be farting in public, or spitting, or cussing or heaven forbid enjoying sex.

Again, to remain within the bounds of T&C, I say to these groups that promote brainwashing of the masses: "Go .... up a rope." Because to me it is worse than allowing the media decide presidental canidates instead of the people bassed on fair and unbiased reporting.

And as an FYI, the 1 in 17 cancer rate came from the US Surgen General. A few years later he changed it to 1 in 7. Every add on smoking leads the view to believe that death is 100% if you smoke while ignoring that death is 100% if you do not smoke and you can experience every single malady pinned on smoking even if you grew up in a world tobacco free at near (less than 1.5%) difference.

Refering to the video of ads on the 25 (?) year old smoker that they squeezed an ounce or so of fat out of the aorta...what was his diet? what was his level of exercise? Is arterial blockage or heart conditions prevalent in his family history? I don't know, but the guy smoked cigarettes therefore the cigarettes kiled him. Not the clogged aorta, it was definately those coffin nails in his coat pocket. The dirty smoker. News Flash here, 7 years of smoking did not do that to him. Even *IF* it was related, the guy would have died by 30 max considering the obvious diet and lifestyle as I bet here was more morbidly obesse than a heavy 4+ pack a day smoker.

Back when I did security I walked 8 miles a day. Now that have been a driver for two years I lost distance endurance. Bet I could go back to 8 miles a day in a month's time to rebuild that endurance with no problem if I changed jobs. I also eat healthier and less than before. Smoking level remained the same. However sitting in a chair playing video games I smoke more...figure that one out? Has to do with habit and activity level more than anything else.

Enjoy the pubs and clubs that manage to remain open. The smokers will just have to hang outside and see what we've been missing and plot our revenge once the non-smokers become slothful and complacent as we were. But given the shooting in the foot that was given to the local economies by kicking us out and our harding to the elements, the smokers will survive just fine...provided we don't have a nic-fit and mow each outher down when we can't get our fix.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I also don't think smoking is all that bad.. it is really the chemicals that they put in it. Nicotine gives a very, very mild buzz, if at all, depending on the user's tolerance and the amount that they smoke. So for example, one who is new to smoking tobacco may feel a slight buzz and feel a bit more confident for a few minutes, while one who has smoked for a while will just feel mellow.

I cannot see myself to be addicted to this substance/feeling, as I have been smoking on and off for about a year or more and I really don't care either way if I smoke. I rarely buy my own tobacco, except sometimes I buy Bali Shag, which is ground tobacco + rolling papers, so I can roll my own and know it is additive free.

And what about hookah? It is a special waterpipe that one would use to smoke shisha, or flavored tobacco covered with molasses. The way it works is that the shisha is packed into the bowl on top of the hookah, and the bowl is covered with tin foil. The foil is poke full of holes and a coal is placed on top of the foil. This way, the shisha is never actually burned, and the heat from the coal essentially vaporizes the nicotine and the flavor into the form of smoke, which is pulled through water for cleansing purposes, and then through a hose into the mouth and lungs of the smoker. The foil can be replaced with a glass screen, which makes the smoke even cleaner. I am not sure about these statistics, but I heard that smoking 100 hookah bowls is the equivalent of smoke 1 cigarette (in adverse health effects like carcinogens). Note: there is a whole lot more nicotine in one hookah bowl, though; it is enough to make four or five people lightheaded, if it is of a medium size. But it is much cleaner. Should this kind of tobacco smoking also be banned, as I've never heard of anyone being addicted to hookah?

To further confuse and blur the lines, what about eclipse cigarettes? They are the kind that do not burn, and you light the coal on the end, and essentially is a hookah in cigarette form but without the water.

[edit on 3-3-2008 by italkyoulisten]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Bali Shag is one of the best for roll your own in my opinion. There is another name (that sounds like a John Wayne character) from the same company that is less expensive and nearly as good of taste. Try the light varient if you enjoy Bali Shag red label over the blue.

Not sure about hooka smoking as any observer would think of illeagal items being smoked if they saw it. And some localities could cite you for paraphenalia for owning a hooka or more commonly called a bong. Yes, there are differences. No, the officer smushing your face against the wall doesn't want to hear them.

Eclipse cigarettes: I checked them out and it was a strange taste with little smoke at all. So out of curiosity took one apart. That is graphite...pencil lead. Pitched the rest of the pack then and there. Also very little tobacco in them, about as much if you rolled a pinner on accident. Given the whole concept was from a one hitter (more paraphenalia) and may be mistaken as such.

Marlboro 72's: shorter cig=smoke more often to keep nicotine levels. Yay.

But to stay on topic, I think control has been exerted more towards the anti-smoker over the non-smoker than smoking being a control of a smoker. Honestly all they lack is a modern Carry Nation vandalising a cigarette vending machine, not that many are left around anymore. But if full prohibition comes in effect and we started running rolled cigarettes would we be called Camel Jockeys instead of Bootleggers?

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaadAdam
wouldent u rather not smoke and not take drugs anmd drink healthy drinks like my special drink water + yogurt + salt + lemon salt + mint - blended and poured on ice now thats life refreshing nature not smoking smoking is like smoking tar fro mthe road if u have anything good t o say about it its the goverment makes money from it some how

No, I wouldn't.
I think it sounds gross.
You think smoking is gross.

We have differing opinions and yet the world keeps on going.
See how that works?

Salt can be bad for a person, but I'm not leaping over tables to take it away from you.

Maybe weird drinks are a form of control.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I've noticed it is the smell that is disliked among the anti-smokers. If I smoke a pipe, they take big sniffs and say "That smells good, I wish smokers would all smoke that!" If I smoke a cigarette, I get dirty hateful stares as they climb into their SUV's (Which emit waaaay more carcinogens than my cigs). I can't wait till "they" start a ban on perfume! Some of that stuff really stinks up the place.

I smoke, I am considerate about it. I don't go around blowing my smoke into people faces because I know that it does not smell good. I even carry around a small ashtray as to not "litter".

Or wait till the "fat tax". That will be soon as well. I am a smoker, I will be a smoker no amount of crying to the Federal Governess is going to change that. Even if they make it illegal I am sure I will be able to get it. Look at other illegal substances, not too difficult to obtain those.

Lastly, why not a big ban on booze? Because many senators/judges/etc drink. That would be hurting "their" interests. And I am fairly certain that more deaths result from alcohol than cigs.

Wait! That drunk driver was smoking! Cigarettes killed who he hit!

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SaadAdam

Every once in a while people like you start jabbering away at people like me about how smoking is this and that and I just want to smack you silly. Then you turds have the nerve to convince state gov to increase the smoking tax just so you could better better about yourself, turd.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by HeadFirstForHalos

my drink aint a way of control its a way of keeping my body very good and its working by not drinking any other drink exept water and my drink makes my body well ima against soft drinks and all so yeh and it aint a way of control its my own make lol

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jitombe

smoking is just like drugs smoke alot and bad things happen to u dont u watch the commercial of whats happening to your body also tell me what smoking does for u all to me i seen it seems to do nothing for the good?

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

John Lennon both smoked, and "used drugs". So I suppose he is just as bad as the rest of us.

What about your signature, Peace, love, Respect

Seems like your forgetting two out of three.

I respect your right not to smoke, please respect my right to smoke. and we will be able to live together in peace

As for what "good" smoking does. Could you please define "good"? That idea is too malleable to be of any use in this topic. You don't like "smoke" do you ride in a car? That makes smoke. Do you live in a city? Alot of smoke there, even without the smokers. What about smog? That is smoke too.

And salt isn't that healthy, humans consume waaaay more salt than is needed. What about MSG? I bet you eat foods with that in it. (Mono sodium glutamate) Do you ever eat fast food? You know what kind of chemicals are added to that food?

No one is perfect, please stop pointing out others flaws until you are sure you have none yourself.

[edit]I ned too lurn how two spel

[edit on 3/4/2008 by adigregorio]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio

John Lennon both smoked, and "used drugs". So I suppose he is just as bad as the rest of us.

What about your signature, Peace, love, Respect

Seems like your forgetting two out of three.

I respect your right not to smoke, please respect my right to smoke. and we will be able to live together in peace

As for what "good" smoking does. Could you please define "good"? That idea is too malleable to be of any use in this topic. You don't like "smoke" do you ride in a car? That makes smoke. Do you live in a city? Alot of smoke there, even without the smokers. What about smog? That is smoke too.

And salt isn't that healthy, humans consume waaaay more salt than is needed. What about MSG? I bet you eat foods with that in it. (Mono sodium glutamate) Do you ever eat fast food? You know what kind of chemicals are added to that food?

No one is perfect, please stop pointing out others flaws until you are sure you have none yourself.

[edit]I ned too lurn how two spel

[edit on 3/4/2008 by adigregorio]

i know i did but wene pp lsmoke and dont care about others and there thoughts towards smoking its unfair like i do get alot of ppl smoking infront of me and puffing the smoke in my face in some outside clubs and streets its like have respect and dont smoke around ppl there should be places smokers are only allowed to smoke in public also smoking is also another i am mucho i smoke there is alot behind smoking and y ppl do it but some ppl take it to the leval its just wrong

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

and i aint saying stop smoking i am saying it could be a way of mind control in a way we dont see it lol but anyway

i rekon something like natural smoking is cool but i never smoked before and never will but if its natural its better then chemichals true?

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaadAdam
...there should be places smokers are only allowed to smoke in public...

Maybe we should have "smokers only" water fountains, and smokers should have to ride in the back of the bus (if a non smoker gets on)

The only form of control in smoking is the addictive properties of tobacco. And even that is just a lack of willpower on the smokers part. (assuming they want to quit of course)

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

i think i am just very angry @ the smokers who dont care about others and specialy kids around them i have seen pregnet woman smoke and also pearents with kids around them and babys and its just wrong some should learn

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Hello folks

I am jumping onto this thread because SaadAdam's posts are truly un-nerving in the FACT that he/she has no clue HOW to use PUNCTUATION. Commas are used to signal the reader to take a small pause, now & again. Periods are used to signal the end of a sentence. Capital letters usually come at the beginning of a sentence. I do see that he/she DID in fact use a question mark in a couple of places, but that is all the punctuation they bothered to include.

SaadAdam you have a good thread going on here, and you have brought in some interest from other members, enough so that they post......BUT SaadAdam your posts are so lacking in even basic punctuation that they are hard to read. When posting on ATS, proper punctuation is actually expected. It is not OK to post on ATS in a childish texting type of a format.

In my signature is this little 'clicky' Star Wars symbol. If you click this link you will be taken to Zedd's handbook of ATS rules, and you can learn how things are expected to be done on ATS. How to create a 'proper post' and what not. It is not a terribly LONG read, and once your in 'the know' then your good to go....

Concerning the topic of the thread......I am soon to celebrate my 3rd year of not smoking. I don't care for smoky rooms either, even when I was one of the folks making the room smoky. I do however cheer on the folks who CHOOSE to smoke, because that is a personal CHOICE. If this choice is taken away from people, then THAT is just ~BIG BROTHER~ finding yet another way to try and control peoples lives.
I think we already have ENOUGH rules and regulations telling us how to live our lives, and I do not think it is anyones place to tell another person if they can smoke or not.....as long as they are not stinking up the space shared by non smokers.
I prefer to cheer for the side of personal choice and freedom.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by theRiverGoddess

Thanks for that rivergoddess its something i must fix i am getting into it i just forget.

thanks

Saad Adam

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   

As much as self rightous ego maniacs like you annoy me, there is one thing about the cigarette industry that annoys me. Marlboro reds don't taste the same as they did 15-20 years ago and I am sure it's due to the chemicals they put in there. Another thing on the same brand, the taste is different depending of what country you got your smokes from. I noticed the difference with the taste from packs bought in the U.S., Mexico, Europe and Africa. I liked the European version personally. One last thing, I lost another seven seconds of my life smoking a cigarette while typing this and I don't care.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jitombe

all i know is that i dont have black tar in me and u guys do ahha good luck

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Update!

Scientists nail 'smoking' gene

THREE independent studies have identified a tiny variation in the human genome that make some people more vulnerable to lung cancer than others.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I live in a refinery city. Which do you think is worse for me cigatettes or the air? Did you know that food additives and industrial chemicals can cause pancreatic cancer. Should we also ban fast food and industrial plants?

The government never does anything for our own good. Perhaps you should meditate on what their real motivation may be. And when you give the government the right to ban all the things you don't like, don't be surprised when they start banning things you like.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join