It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EADS & NG win USAF KC-45 Tanker contract

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lonestar24
I didn´t want to open a new thread, its nearly unrelated, but...

VERY close call yesterday for a Lufthansa A320 on approach to Hamburg. Strong storms this weekend, you can literally see the plane pushd sideways on approach...

Video

[edit on 2/3/2008 by Lonestar24]

Going offtopic from the op but is this a video of the picture shown above?

CNN

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by RichardPrice
So what you are saying is that an inferior offering should be accepted because it supposedly gives more workers jobs? This is why politicians should never be involved in this.

But they always will be..... Thats nothing new here and its a reality..... the European Defence market is no different. And even divested Germany, and esp. France still have heavy influence in Airbus etc.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

Yes the video linked is of the same aircraft and incident. Now can we go back on topic?

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

make a new thread please

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
lin k

EADS boom makes wet transfer - same kit for the new KC-45A , so both boom and drogue now work as advertised

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Well. quite a bit different really Fred. European purchases of US kit have been commonplace for decades, often to the detriment of local manufacturers and not nearly so much fuss is caused by them.

Whither now Hawker Siddeley, MBB, Breguet et al?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
seattletimes.nwsource.com...

The Northrop proposal, which put forward the much bigger A330 against the 767, even swung the Air Force around from its original thinking.

"The Air Force started out believing that the larger aircraft was a liability," Thompson said. "Northrop did such a superior job of analysis that they convinced a reluctant Air Force to treat the larger aircraft as an asset."

His memo listed the five key criteria as capability, risk, past performance, cost and "integrated fleet aerial refueling assessment," a score from a computer model that measures performance in various war scenarios.

"Boeing didn't manage to beat Northrop in a single measure of merit," Thompson wrote.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Does anyone understand where Boeing is getting their 44,000 job tag line? Personally I think they are really playing a bluff here on the numbers that have been rounded and rounded very high. I can see that Airbus would have less so but if they build 60% of the plane here you would expect to see that in available jobs reflected. Something closer to 38 000 maybe?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Canada_EH

No idea, the figures come from Boeing I assume as do the NG/EADS figures. No doubt both have been massaged a bit.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

B787 Production Break down

So much for American Planes , built by Americans In America.

Looks like about 50% of it produced oversea's.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
44k jobs is massively high - i really think there making it up

edit: unless boeing are saying without this contract the entire lines closes which is crap cause they have orders till 2012 on the 767

[edit on 5/3/08 by Harlequin]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
...edit: unless boeing are saying without this contract the entire lines closes which is crap cause they have orders till 2012 on the 767.

Well if you look at the deliveries it becomes apparent that the 767 output has been artifically stretched for a couple of years already. These jobs WILL be lost, or rather shifted elsewhere, in the near future.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Lonestar24

Stretched? Boeing like Airbus has a back log of aircraft that need to be built for the next 6-7 years. Be it 767 or 787 they have plenty of planes to roll of the line still and they still need man(women) power too do it.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
[edit on 3/7/08 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I would like to publicly Apologise to Harlequin at this time. I accidently hit the edit button instead of the reply and deleted his post.

Again I apologise for the mistake.

FredT

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

as i mentioned in pm its fine - basically i listed the number of aircraft boeing made since 2002.2005 (78) vs 2005>2008 (38) which means they allready knew the line was dying anyway,

active.boeing.com...

that was the link used

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Actually what I was responding to was the parts issue. 767 are a rapid growing segment in the Freighter market and the type will be flying for some time so I do not think spare parts is as big of an issue.

Also the political types are getting involved and this contract is going to be tied up for some time.

Clinton has come out against it saying its a national security and called it "outsourcing" to a foreign company but thats a bit funny since she agressivly lobbied on behalf of AgustaWestland in the US101 chopter contract.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
im not so sure tbh about the freighter market - looking on that boeing link , they have an 18 month turn around on orders;

in fact looking at the numbers - there down to 1 year turn around and i would hazard a guess that they have around 40 aircraft left to make.

they have 33 orders this year(2007) ; 6 for DHL and 27 for UPS - all freighter models , and thats it - only order this year as there pushing the 777 and 787 - the 767 is 30 years old now and they really can`t do much more with it - and given the ramp down in production which is why i said there might be a spares issue , yes there are quite a ew in service but companies are beginig to rotate theer fleets now

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

H,

I was refering to PAX to frieghter conversions of cast off airline aircraft. Few cargo carriers have the $$$ needed to purchase brand new freighter aircraft. However, converting an old passanger a/c is alot more economical up front. Esp. for wide bodies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join