It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Hole Caught Eating a Star

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

Originally posted by 10DeadInside10
Another factor is whether the human body would be able to withstand the force of traveling at light speed.

Didn't Einstein conclude that if a human traveled at the speed of light he would expand until his body filled the universe?

i dunno, but i no that, in theory, we cudnt, because at like 9.999999% the speed of light, our weight is increased billions of times, so it takes more to move u. the speed of light is like an asymptote; u approach it but will never get to it, only at infinity.
thats all relative tho, light can go faster than the speed of light, sort of.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
In Theory, we can't travel to light speed, after all it does sound great.

But through time, I know this is winging it far out, wasn't the Earth is flat and the center of the Earth a great theory? And like a lot of Religions that rise and fall, they were also great. My point is, through time we see a lot of our mistakes because we are only bound to what can happen in our generation. I believe we will at least reach near speed of light and that we will colonize another planet. I know this was totally off topic on eating a star though.

Well, here's a question on how to harness black holes energy, simple method but not totally out of question. It said a Black Hole can spin a star up to 60 times it's normal rotation if it is too far out of reach to pull in to eat. Couldn't you put some kind of Turbine. The same way we you water in dams for electricity?

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RabidGoose
Well, here's a question on how to harness black holes energy, simple method but not totally out of question. It said a Black Hole can spin a star up to 60 times it's normal rotation if it is too far out of reach to pull in to eat. Couldn't you put some kind of Turbine. The same way we you water in dams for electricity?

be one helluva turbine. itd really need to be insanley massive to survive at any point there, hugely massive. and to hook it up, relay the energy to some point? that wud require having the point near it, or else wed lose a lot of energy. i dun wanna live near a black hole.
its possible, but i doubt itll happen. it wud just need a lot of material. a lot a lot a lot of suns worth of stuff

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Well the reason I said it because, I mean, if we do manage to get that close to a black hole, as in not hug it but be realativly near the center of a galaxy, wouldn't we be able to produce such a thing? I know it would have to be a massive object, but hey. It's not as far out of the question as getting to the center of a galaxy.

I'm not saying this is going to happen, I'm just spewing fast ideas that are simple. I'm not a total loon. But it's something that's not out of the question if we manage to do space travel.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
oh yeah, i agree, it cud happen, but its still a lot of rocks. we can just collect them on our way there!
i nominate u to be the head of the whole project

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   
harnessing energy from black holes aye?? well... gravity is a type of energy right?? well it must be otherwise the black hole would be losing energy( no thats a contridiction) but the gravity would make the sun spin which requires energy, and the sun aint spinning itself. So what if you could harness the energy of gravity by lets say, spinning a black hole but fast enough so that the object keeps missing it, kind of like an orbit but it doesnt get sucked in, around sumthing which would make it spin but theoretically wouldnt require any energy to keep it spinning apart form getting the black hole started, or you could make anti gravity and put urself in front of a quasar and control the direction it goes to.

btw it would be useless giving the black hole a sun to gather the heat it gives off, beacuse couldnt you gain like 100's time more heat by just getting it directly off the sun?

2btw dont photons, after reaching a certain energy level be able to produce a antiparticle- particle comination when it hits sumthing? if so couldnt the light goside a black hole with anough energy and innihilate just a tiny bit of it (remember there are googles of photons)

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by quiksilver]

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Whenever we are capable of sending something into a Black Hole...

that guy called God, might get pretty aggravated at us Hominids ' throwing stuff into the cosmic RECYCLE BIN'
~~~~~

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by quiksilver
2btw dont photons, after reaching a certain energy level be able to produce a antiparticle- particle comination when it hits sumthing?

if u have enough energy, u can spontaneously create a particle (and its antiparticle) because of E=mc^2. thats sorta how the big bang got started, with a higgs boson

top topics

<< 1   >>

join