It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To the members of AboveTopSecret.com, a gut-check

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by yahn goodey

I think that one concept of "Denying Ignorance" is the ability to ignore without the use of the "button"

I admit that I have fallen prey to the aggravation that happens when someone is trying to "bait" you, but I think that walking away and calming down is a better strategy than the ignore button...

Just my opinion of course...

Semper

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Are you joking? You think Americans who dislike a terrorist video showing the killing of Americans is a small number of people? I think you are way out of line with that statement and if there were a vote on that you would loose. I guess this means that you too have some grudge against America?

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
This particular issue of that video has been hashed and rehashed.

It was a video of something that actually happened, knowing of it and seeing it is called awareness.

Just because you become aware of something does not mean that you agree with it.

We say we don't want censorship, but it seems some want to censor that which they don't agree with.

Can we get back to the original idea of this thread and stop talking about the terrorist video?

Americans being killed by terrorist is no more offensive than someone of another nationality being killed by terrorist.

Death and War are ugly and we can bury our heads in the sand and pretend killing isn't so ugly, but it is, and all humans have the right to not be killed by another human, but that is not the reality of the world we live in.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

I will wait for Sceptics answer thank you. The main point was not just the video but was the person who posted it was also cheering the death of the Americans. Its called terrorist propaganda and these people are the worst that man has to offer and AST should avoid being a tool for their message of hate and murder of innocents, Sites have been shut down for it. It is also not the killing of Americans, Its the killing of any country's people by terrorist who pray on the weak and helpless to further their cause. ATS is wrong and it is not censorship, It is called decency. We should not allow anyone on this site to post something like that then to rejoice over the death of another human being, We don't do it so that is also what distinguishes us from them.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
I guess this means that you too have some grudge against America?

I have a grudge against people who would seek to banish or destroy material and ideas they disagree with.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Without getting too technical, this will free up some server resources so that we can restore some lost items, like the "find all posts by member" and boolean search functions. I don't yet have a time frame, but the work is beginning soon.

I'm glad to hear this. I never thought I'd miss the Boolean search, but I do and I'm sure that all those who come here to search for my special brand of wit and wisdom will be glad to see the post button return.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
You know what Grady?

I'm normally luke warm about the changes that go on here at ATS, understanding the technology requires it, but I do miss the "Post" search on the members profile...

I used to go back over my posts and watch how my posting style and attitudes have changed...

That would be nice to bring back...

Semper

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Read and understood...
Glad to hear it is growing and with any luck we can actually solve some problems down the line
As I am fairly new to this site, I will try to keep errors to a minimum
As for those who like to describe myself and others as N00bs with a negative connotation
Need I remind you that such connotations turn people off and away from collaborating ideas and as a whole defeats everything this site stands for and also that you were all N00bs once as well...
I look forward to continuing to be a part of the solution rather than part of the problem
Cheers all!

[edit on 1-3-2008 by Numb2itall]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Numb2itall

Blimey, do people still call others noobs?

I haven't seen it in a while, and I personally think it's a form of bullying.

My opinion is that any member is the same as any other member, and input & content are more important than how long someone has been here.
I know it took me some time to kind of ignore the niggles and start enjoying the site, and it's been a much better experience since I made the adjustment.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I always figure it this way...

You may be "NOOBS" here, although I try and never use the term, I have used "Newbies" before, you are most likely NOT Newbies to life and so have a wealth of substance to offer...

We were all "Newbies" at one time...

Semper

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Budski
Thanks and yes unfortunately it is used in an earlier post
Personally it doesn't bother me just thought of it as I was reading the earlier posts and figured it was worth mentioning especially for the folks who are now joining
I imagine it makes one feel intellectually superior that they were able to register sooner than someone else...

go figure

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Semper
Well put! I do honestly believe we all have something to offer and truly hope that we can use a forum, like this site, to collectively produce something positive in the process rather than just get each other worked up in an apocalyptic frenzy or argue over smudges on camera lenses
Here's to progress...

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Numb2itall

This site has truly and deeply changed me and for the better...

My eyes have been opened up to many new concepts and ideas I would have dismissed prior to becoming a member..

So, YES here is to progress....

Semper

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   

The thing about progress and change, is that they always have an element of fear about them.
Change is one of the hardest things to manage, and people plain don't like it when something changes - human nature I suppose.

The thing is, when change happens, you have two basic types of people:
Those who embrace change.
Those who resist change.

It doesn't matter if the changes are for the good or not, the two types always surface in various guises, and this is what makes managing change so difficult - some people don't like it and will resist no matter what, some people want change for changes sake.

I have mentioned the ATS learning curve before, and I think that it's very real, and by its nature it takes time to learn.
BUT ATS has/is/will always change - it's the nature of the beast and I welcome it

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

So first you remove the quote of yours witch was not large at all that pertained to the issue then you penalize me 20 points personally. Sceptic I have to tell you that you only want to play by your rules here. What if the person that posted that video is a real terrorist? That means you are promoting terrorist propaganda. Our government wouldn't like that very much and would probably put this site in the can, You wouldn't like that very much would you? I am starting to think You like everything that is against America and it looks that way. If I knew how bad the anti-American sentiment was at this level here, I would have never been a part of this site. You are pushing an agenda here with this site and thats to undermine America and its government. You should be ashamed of what you are doing and if you are such a great person everyone thinks you are then you will leave this post up for all to see. After I see your reply I will make my decision whether if I will be a part of your site anymore because right now I am very disappointed in what this site has become.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by Sky watcher
I guess this means that you too have some grudge against America?

I have a grudge against people who would seek to banish or destroy material and ideas they disagree with.

So you are saying that you agree with the terrorist? Anyone that does sir is not in their right mind and shouldn't be allowed to be a part of this society and if you don't agree with that personally then you need help.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

Sky watcher,

I doubt you will find a more fervent, outspoken United States patriot than me...

And I disagree with your assessment of S.O. 100%

As a part of ATS, I support his defense of the First Amendment to the Constitution completely and without restriction.

Could there be terrorists, potential terrorists, hate mongers and anti-Americans here on ATS? Of course there could be, definitely the Anti-Americans, but you know what?

This is NOT a legal foundation or government entity; it is NOT ATS's responsibility to seek out and punish wrong doers. They have a very functional and complete T&C that is also designed to protect our freedoms of speech.

As much as you may hate it, they have the same protections under our Constitution as you do. Just remember that when any one single things gets censored for reasons other than for the good smooth running of the board, we all suffer and must therefore anticipate further censoring possibly even our own ideas. We would not like that very much would we?

As far as you know, Skeptic Overlord may hate the video even more than you do, but he supports Freedom of speech, as do I and the majority of the people that frequent this board.

Just remember that one of Hitlers first actions was public book burning...

Semper

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
This is NOT a legal foundation or government entity; it is NOT ATS's responsibility to seek out and punish wrong doers. They have a very functional and complete T&C that is also designed to protect our freedoms of speech.

Be that as it may, ATS does have restrictions regarding what is and is not appropriate expression.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Absolutely!!!

I could not agree more...

My point was that if the subject matter falls within the T&C, no matter how much we as individuals may detest the message, we as supporters of the Constitution, must also defend it's right to be here... If not, we are merely hypocrites..

Semper

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I agree with you 100 percent and I am being to harsh with sceptic and I hope he dislikes the post and the video. I am sorry for questioning his patriotism, That is not my right to do so. I personally dis-agree with letting such activity go on especially unpunished in anyway because it sets a bad precedent. I can say that I know know body else here has ever done anything like that. I would like to hear Sceptics opinion on the matter just as a person and not the owner though. I love this site and want to continue to be a part of it but I also have to say foul to behavior like that in question. I don't want my name being associated with terrorist, I know you don't. That anyone can understand, This is not about free speech. It goes way beyond that.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join