It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To the members of AboveTopSecret.com, a gut-check

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
And can we get some negative star type system? After all, we do get negative points, why not negative stars.

Ditto that...and a bit of reigning in or serious point loss for non-news or old-news or news without a alt/spin that is posted as breaking news. Again, if I wanted otherwise I could go to an alphabet news site.

Thanks SO for putting up with us. We will try to be good and I will try to step up my own game.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I must admit that I read more then once what you are saying here, to understand precisely what you mean.

But I understand , so we have a Deal.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Why did this have to happen before I had a chance to ban anyone?

I'm still just a regular ATS member at heart. I'll never forget that.

Peace

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
"Topical Burnout"

I've lost count of the times I've started a reply to something, paused, hit the delete key and walked away for a refreshing cup of tea and a smoke. It's either that or turn into a gibbering wreck!

The membership has seemed to swell enormously in recent times, especially the last few months. A good thing in some ways but frustrating in others, such as the level of personal sniping and pointless one-liners that add nothing to the debate but can become infuriating at times.

Other than that it's still my favourite place to be, with a good mix of other sad buggers sitting bleary eyed in front of their Pc's all night and a great source of "alternative" news and discussion. No matter how much of a loon some people may think you are, you'll always find another like minded person here

It's good to discuss the stuff the mainstream, and our leaderships, would rather have buried.

Long may it continue. Power to the people.... etc!

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I just love the heart stuff!!!

I had my turn here, so I'll keep it short, just had to say it warms me when I see us pull together like this.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Though my membership is so new I'm still waiting for the paint to dry, I have been a reader/lurker since early 2005.

I think the explosive recent growth is further testament to the formula's success.

I can stand the growing pains if you can.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
And can we get some negative star type system?

No, sorry. The point is to help turn your attention to the threads that deserve your stars and replies. We want to focus on promoting the good stuff, not "starring down" the bad stuff.

In other news, which has been an indirect cause of some frustration, we've initiated a project with a technology firm to expand our database infrastructure to include multiple database servers. Without getting too technical, this will free up some server resources so that we can restore some lost items, like the "find all posts by member" and boolean search functions. I don't yet have a time frame, but the work is beginning soon.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
It seems that the answer is simple but the task is difficult:

Deny Ignorance.

It means many different things to many different people. With so many more members everyday, the question is: What does it mean, going forward, to ATS?

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Nope, not a chance.

I want all my own way, and I want it now.

Sorry, couldn't resist......

Seriously though it's times like this when we should all be pulling together, in the same direction.
Why not help each other to help ourselves, and the board, by being positive and doing what we can to make all our time here a little bit easier - it's not that hard

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Funny you said that, I did it already for this thread, But me being a newbie and all, I figure it's better to be seen and not heard.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
No, sorry. The point is to help turn your attention to the threads that deserve your stars and replies. We want to focus on promoting the good stuff, not "starring down" the bad stuff.

Gotcha. However, would another option, like red stars for disagreeable posts work. I know I'd be more likely to check out a thread if there were massive amounts of stars on both the agree and disagree side of things. It might make things more interesting. But hey, this is one hell of a tangent, so ignore me.

In other news, which has been an indirect cause of some frustration, we've initiated a project with a technology firm to expand our database infrastructure to include multiple database servers. Without getting too technical, this will free up some server resources so that we can restore some lost items, like the "find all posts by member" and boolean search functions. I don't yet have a time frame, but the work is beginning soon.

Will this be separated between sites as well? I remember during one of your previous server upgrades you moved the different sites to different servers to lessen the load on any particular machine, would you do the same with the databases? And how would you allow for cross database communication?

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Without getting too technical, this will free up some server resources so that we can restore some lost items, like the "find all posts by member" and boolean search functions.

*wipes tear from eye*

I love ya man, no really.

I've seen many members say they'd like to applaud a staff member, there's a couple of ways that I know of. You can send a u2u or use the Complaints/Suggestions button. The fact that you took the time means more than points. It's appreciated.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
For someone who has just come off a posting ban ( my 1st and last, it sucked )

This thread hits home. I get ATS in fact im a huge fan so much so i try to tell all and sundrie to look it up............but alas some sheep just dont want to be saved.

But yes we have a deal all of us that love this strange colective mix, really do make it what it is ........and you cant help but feel a little bit of it is your own..............i love the fact i feel i can come here and say whats on my mind and who knows some other fool/genuis could be thinking the same and we can get into a great disscussion.

Thanks for being here ATS .... i predict that one day this will probley be one of the last places you will be able to go for total free speach and thinking (but i hope thats not true), keep up the good work ATS...and yes....... "we got ya back"

[edit on 29-2-2008 by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H

i predict that one day this will probley be one of the last places you will be able to go for total free speach and thinking

Is that YOUR Final answer REGIS?

Hmm...

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Personally, I'd like to be able to applaud all mods/admin - the dedication that makes a person give up their free time for no reward (except intangible ones) is awesome, and I'd like to take this opportunity to say thanks and long may it continue.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
As long as ATS can keep their bandwidth up and aren't suffering financial problems I'm happy. I'm sure plenty of us would be glad to help with that situation if it ever arose.

As far as the situation of ATS growing I haven't seen any issues from new members at all, which is kind of amazing because ATS is a very structured forum and it's not so easy to adjust if you've been part of other rowdier offtopic forums. I'm a newer member myself and I quickly had to learn how to post in a polite manner

People are fitting in quickly and easily around here

[edit on 29-2-2008 by NewWorldOver]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

REGIS who or what is that?.........

so not to one line post ...........deny me ignorance please lol thanks

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Bill..thank you for this.
I wholeheartedly agree.
You and ATS DO have my full support as a member.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Overlord I don't think this is a site problem.
I have been aware of an overall societal degradation for years now, and it's speeding up. Jobs on the line, stagflation, wars and rumor of wars. Peope in general are a mess. Including me.
Obviously you need to keep a handle on proper behaviour and advance this mission to another level.
I for one love this site, if nothing more than just stay 'connected' to others during some of health related downtime.
I appreciate and respect all members here, and appreciate your efforts to increase the value of this site.
Thanks
John
And if I have ever offended anyone here, which I know have, my heartfelt apologies.

[edit on 29-2-2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Barf bags will be available to those who have to read through any Regis Philbin discussion.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join