It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Gold the place to put your Cash to protect yourself?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I agree with several of the posts in this thread. Gold investing is not the way to get rich. Gold holds it's value. The reason it's gone up so quickly in the last few years is because the dollar is tanking.

It's also good advice that investing in gold to prepare for a survival situation is not a very smart thing to do. Gold is only worth something in an environment like what we have now. When food and shelter are very hard to come by, you're going to be better off paying with a live chicken than the ounce of gold you have in your pocket.

I remember reading somewhere awhile back that back in the 1800s, an ounce of gold would buy you a new suit, a night out at the theatre, and a good dinner. Two hundred years later...it'll buy you about the same thing. Gold value keeps up with inflation...which should make us question the inflation statistics that the government is releasing.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
In a post-apocalyptic world gold will be worthless.
I can get gold in a post-apocalyptic world by raiding safe deposit boxes in the remains of banks, graveyards. by raiding the homes of the dead and can refine it from computers and other electronics.
that means i can have all the gold that i want.
but for what.
you can not eat it.
There will be so many sources of gold that anyone can find it and that will devalue it to nothing.

In a post-apocalyptic world skills will be the thing to have.
from 1700s till 1900 few blacksmiths gunsmiths ever went hungry.

If you can fix or supply the basics that everyone needs to survive you will always beat someone that can't.

One thing i keep in my survival supplys is a print out of all i can find on making blackpowder , blacksmithing. making blackpowder guns.
bow making and trapping and any other needed skills i can use to make anything needed from 1700 to 1900.

The car will become useless not because of the lack of fuel but when the last battery dies.

<< 1   >>

join