It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask a Christian (even about the paranormal)

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Thanks for your answers
! There's another couple of question I would like to ask you:
1)Do you believe in NDE?
2)(This is kinda foolish)How do you imagine God? Is him a Light?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nagas
Thanks for your answers
!

I'm glad there's interest.

There's another couple of question I would like to ask you:
1)Do you believe in NDE?

I think it'd be good to have specifics. I believe people experience things near death and are brought back. I believe there are people who recall things they saw/heard when pronounced clinically dead and are 'brought back to life'. The question for me is more of "is what we experience when we're near death to be believed?" I lean on the 'yes' side until there's contradictory information.

2)(This is kinda foolish)How do you imagine God? Is him a Light?

Not foolish at all. I had an interesting argument with someone of a particular faith that said, "God is male". Hooboy, that one was fun. I do not believe He is "male" because it creates a whole series of questions that make no sense. I don't believe God is physical and has a gender, that's quite limiting in reading about the massive presence of God.
Is He Spirit? Is He energy? One, the other or maybe both. Can He be whatever He wants to be? Probably. With the characteristics we read about of God and in having a personal relationship with God, we can know His characteristics and from that we can tell the best we can what He's like so that we know what comes from Him and what doesn't.

Often times you'll get the deep philosophical answer when we ask, "What is God?". The answer becomes, "God is."

Even Jesus is hard to understand in this regard, "Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life." - John 14:6. He went through an interesting change that was seen at one point, "There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light." - Matthew 17:2

Will believers change too? Yep. "And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." - 2 Corinthians 3:18

I don't know exactly what God looks like or what God is made of, but I can say whatever it is, it's pretty cool stuff.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
At the age of 14, I discovered I was gifted with the ability to talk to spirits. According to all of the devoutly Christian people I've grown up with, an ability like this is a ploy of Satan and that I should abandon it if I want to go to Heaven.

This brings me to my question, are all people who've been gifted with these 'special' abilities always listed as being agents of Satan? It seems really narrow-minded to say that ghosts exist, but that people can't exist who can speak to them.

Also, does current Christian thought have an explanation for my Spirit Guide?

thanks,
Cru

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
I'm glad there's interest.

Hear me, I'm not a very religious man, I could say I'm a possibilist. I believe in all and in nothing. But I admire very much the men like you who chose to spread religion's truth. I really admire you.

I believe in NDE's truth and I advice you to buy some books about it.
After all, it doesn't argue with Christianity. The view of God is like a Great Light according to many people who had NDE, but I think God's look is a more complicated matter.
@CrusaderOne: Friend, I answer you in waiting the other answer, because I posted after you
. I think it depends on what these ghosts lead you to do. I mean, if they teach love and they seems good to you, then remember what Jesus said: "Who is not with me, is against me"(or viceversa). So, if they spread spiritual teachments which does not argue with Jesus's teachmetns, I think it's Okay.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by Nagas]

[edit on 19-9-2008 by Nagas]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrusaderOne
This brings me to my question, are all people who've been gifted with these 'special' abilities always listed as being agents of Satan?

It sounds like people are swinging around the judgement hammer in a glass house...which can be quite dangerous. Actually, in truth the Bible says this about gifts:

"We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith." - Romans 12:6

"There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit." - 1 Corinthians 12:4

It seems really narrow-minded to say that ghosts exist, but that people can't exist who can speak to them.

I'll agree with that. I'd credit this to a 'human' thing, not a Christian one. Society rejects anything they haven't experienced themselves as unwanted strangeness.

Also, does current Christian thought have an explanation for my Spirit Guide?

I'm sure it does. What does your Spirit Guide say?

thanks,
Cru

Certainly.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I really admire you.

Thank you, just doing my job by holding the reflector.

I believe in NDE's truth and I advice you to buy some books about it.
After all, it doesn't argue with Christianity. The view of God is like a Great Light according to many people who had NDE, but I think God's look is a more complicated matter.

I have read NDE articles and testimonials. I have some experiences I could kinda compare. I've passed out a few times and remembered what happened during them. I've had dreams that were more real than when I've been awake, where I engaged in and remember conversations, events, and learned things that I did not know before (visions?). Can I compare these and NDE's biblically? Absolutely. The entire book of Revelation was a kind of vision/NDE.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
First off, there is a general concensus around here that Spirit guides are always the spirits of a person's loved ones. 'Mai', The spirt who guides me through this world is not related to me.

Anyway, I have my own sense of beliefs which are derived from the things she tells me. If I were to actually tell my entire beleif system, i'd either be laughed at or garner one of a thousand other "negative" reactions. Mai tells me that current Christianity isn't yet evolved enough to comprehend the workings of life after death. Until that point comes to reality, I have yet to feel the need to go to church. She explains that this is ok as long as my beliefs are still aimed at what I want.

There is a lot of stuff I'm willing to explain, but only if people wish to hear it. Otherwise, it's just going to be like my school days all over again. People stare at me in shock of the so called filth erupting from my mouth.

thanks again for an open mind,
Cru

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Mai tells me that current Christianity isn't yet evolved enough to comprehend the workings of life after death.

I don't think anything on earth comprehends the workings of life after death.

Until that point comes to reality, I have yet to feel the need to go to church.

Then your motivation for going to church would not be correct anyway. We don't go to church to "get something out of it" but to "give of ourselves to worshipping God". If anyone goes to church expecting to "get", I would not be surprised if God allows them to leave empty handed.

She explains that this is ok as long as my beliefs are still aimed at what I want.

Now there's a scarey notion. Beware of those that tell you the things you want to hear.

There is a lot of stuff I'm willing to explain, but only if people wish to hear it.

I'll listen. I tend to comment, but you don't mind that, that floor is yours.

Otherwise, it's just going to be like my school days all over again. People stare at me in shock of the so called filth erupting from my mouth.

thanks again for an open mind,
Cru

Thanks for bringing it to the table.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Another foolish question: what's your opinion about Torin's Shroud? Is that guy really Jesus?

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Another foolish question: what's your opinion about Torin's Shroud? Is that guy really Jesus?

I dunno. I wouldn't think so. The image looks a whole lot like early Roman art, but who is to say the art didn't imitate the real thing? I've heard the weave of the cloth was very specific to Jesus' time and it would make sense that someone would want to keep the cloth when it was discovered. How the cloth survived 2,000 years seems pretty remarkable though. I would have expected more degradation, especially if the image was a heated imprint as suggested.

I don't see why Christians would obsess over this kind of thing. If you have a family member sitting next to you, do you need a photo of them in your hand?

The bottom line for me is: If it is the actual cloth or not, does it make a difference?

[edit on 22-9-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
OK Christianity according to Mai, in a nutshell.

1. After death, unless you're some saintly person (e.g. Mother Theresa), you do not go directly to Heaven. you must earn entrance by guideship.

2. Jesus is the son of the FIRST GOD, or the God who created the universe. GOD is an elected office in heaven, one that is held for 10,000 years at which time the council of 144,000 will elect a new GOD.

3. There are god fearing creatures on other planets in the universe.

4. God does not discriminate against your personal choices. (This is one that particularly keeps me from church) If you're gay, lesbian, bi-, or trans-, you will not go to hell unless you seek out to go there.

5. There are 3 levels to Hell. Level 1: slap on the wrist Hell (i.e. Purgatory), mild punishment before being reincarnated to try to get into Heaven. Level 2: Heaven for Satanists, just like GOD is elected in Heaven, SATAN is elected in Hell... All satanists are sent to Hell to be in the election for the next SATAN. Level 3: Extreme torture, this is the Hell that bad Christians go to, if you're not a Satanist you go to level 3.... Also if you rape, murder, steal, cheat or any other extreme bad deed you come here regardless of the good deeds you do in the rest of your life.

I'm sure you have thousands of disagreements with my beliefs but I will let you to them in your reply, thank you for the open floor and I hope this opens your eyes to the difference in my beliefs.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Thanks for this thread. Please let me ask a few, and just disregard them if you have already answered.

1) If you were to see the "Return of Jesus," how would you judge if it was really him, or som Blue Beam-ish hoax?

2) Do you allow any possiblity for reincarnation?

3) This may not be your personal belief--but why is it that Jewish people can follow their faith without beleiving in Jesus, while everyone else goes to Hell? I'm not asking you to give me a biblical reference to the "Covenant" but why you think God would stack the deck this way?

4) What do you think your personal beleifs would have been if you were born in a time before or after Christianity existed?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

OK Christianity according to Mai...

Who? Maybe you could start a thread on Maiianity. Looks like I have a lot to learn about it.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
1) If you were to see the "Return of Jesus," how would you judge if it was really him, or som Blue Beam-ish hoax?

People can be fooled, myself included however one big lesson we learn is that Jesus does not contradict Jesus, just as Jesus did not contradict God. Surely people can lie, but the more the lie carries on, the harder it is for the liar to keep tabs on what s/he'd said before. There are other validations, like those listen in Peter, but if the hoaxer really did their homework, they would account for this as well. In reading Revelation, a lot of crazy stuff goes down in a hurry. Possible to hoax, but likely to be found out it not sticking to Christ's original teachings. A house divided against itself cannot stand...at some point the liar would have to try to steer people away from Christ else they're batting for the other team.

2) Do you allow any possiblity for reincarnation?

Anything is possible with God. Again though, we know from God that He does not contradict Himself. It's a characteristic of truth that He gives us as a baseline. This is not to be confused with God never changing His mind. We've seen Him do that on rare instances.

3) This may not be your personal belief--but why is it that Jewish people can follow their faith without beleiving in Jesus, while everyone else goes to Hell?

What scripture was that again?

I'm not asking you to give me a biblical reference to the "Covenant" but why you think God would stack the deck this way?

Christianity isn't separate from Hebrew history. There are many Messianic Jews who believe Christ is the Messiah. I don't know a whole lot of difference between Messianic Jews, Christains, or Followers of the Way.

4) What do you think your personal beleifs would have been if you were born in a time before or after Christianity existed?

I'd come to know God by seeking out the answer to "does anything at all exist beyond the human realm?" I believe the answer would be the same now, two-thousand years ago or four thousand years ago. The difference probably would be that I would not know the word Christian or would be bound by the law of God since Christ's coming hadn't occurred yet. I can say that it would be more of a struggle daily to adhere to the law, but just like the laws of this country, I do my best to abide in action, mind and heart.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Possible to hoax, but likely to be found out it not sticking to Christ's original teachings. at some point the liar would have to try to steer people away from Christ else they're batting for the other team.

But what's to prevent the deceiver from checking out that same criteria and making sure he doens't cross it?

Anything is possible with God. Again though, we know from God that He does not contradict Himself. It's a characteristic of truth that He gives us as a baseline. This is not to be confused with God never changing His mind. We've seen Him do that on rare instances.

So do you think we reincarnate or not?

And what particular instances did GOd Change his mind?

What scripture was that again?
Christianity isn't separate from Hebrew history. There are many Messianic Jews who believe Christ is the Messiah. I don't know a whole lot of difference between Messianic Jews, Christains, or Followers of the Way.
Many Christians belleive that Jews do not need to accept Jesus because God promised to save the entire "Nation of Israel." They beleive that Jesus's dying acted retroactively to get the Jews into heaven, and so anyone who follows Judiasm now is also saved. I don't know the scripture but that is how they explain it to me.

If that isn't your beleif then I won't press you on it, but one of the "holes" that I perceive in Christianity is why God can allow the followers of one religion a "back door" but apparently doesn't extend it to anyone else.

[Quote] he difference probably would be that I would not know the word Christian ort would be bound by the law of God since Christ's coming hadn't occurred yet.

When you put that up against your current beleifs, do you think you would have gotten into Heaven?

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   

But what's to prevent the deceiver from checking out that same criteria and making sure he doens't cross it?

Nothing. In fact if the deceiver were smart s/he'd stick to it letter for letter. The thing is the very moment there's a divergence from it, that's when the believers would turn away. S/he might lead others to a cliff, but the chances people will jump is unlikely. People are very skeptical and guarded. Rightfully so, this is their most important asset at stake here - their soul.

And what particular instances did GOd Change his mind?

God warns Abraham that he's going to blast Sodom and Gomorrah. Abraham pleads/negotiates with God to save the innocent. Here's a summary of Genesis 18:

"Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked? What if there are fifty righteous people in the city? Will you really sweep it away and not spare the place for the sake of the fifty righteous people in it?"

The LORD said, "If I find fifty righteous people in the city of Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake."

This continues on until the number drops...

"Then he said, "May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten can be found there?"
He answered, "For the sake of ten, I will not destroy it."

Wow! Can you imagine having "convinced God to not carry out wrath" on your resume'? There's no job you could not get.

Then, there was the flood. Afterwards, God said:

"I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be cut off by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth." - Genesis 9:11

Certainly good news. One could read into this as that He will no longer blanket-punish humanity then sort them out later. That's open for debate.

I'm sure there are more examples, but those are the first two that come to mind.

Many Christians belleive that Jews do not need to accept Jesus because God promised to save the entire "Nation of Israel."

Oops, their mistake. They've gotta read their Book again and pay closer attention to what "the nation of Israel" is.

They beleive that Jesus's dying acted retroactively to get the Jews into heaven, and so anyone who follows Judiasm now is also saved. I don't know the scripture but that is how they explain it to me.

There calls to mind the question about, "what about those who didn't know about Jesus?" both before his coming and even today with the 'aborigine' argument, but these also have been addressed in the same Book.

Revelation 20:11-15
1 Corinthians 10:1-5
John 10:7-9

If that isn't your beleif then I won't press you on it, but one of the "holes" that I perceive in Christianity is why God can allow the followers of one religion a "back door" but apparently doesn't extend it to anyone else.

This question can be re-phrased as, "Is God unfair?" Any believer should know the answer is "no". Often we like to think our judgement and sense of equality is better, whether that's from fear, from what we see, or what we've heard, but "Does God pervert justice? Does the Almighty pervert what is right?" - Job 8:3 It takes trust first, and then it is seen to be true. Many don't want to trust first. I can understand that, but after learning about myself well, it is much easier to trust God (He who created Life, the Universe, and Everything) than myself.

When you put that up against your current beleifs, do you think you would have gotten into Heaven?

I don't know. The temptation of a believer would be to say, "oh yeah, absolutely" but what is the motivation behind that answer? Is it pride? or is it believing God reaches out to all and we all have the choice to accept? This is a question of pre-destination versus free will. A pre-destination believer would say "yes" whereas a free will person may say "no". I believe that a relationship between a person and God is a more complex dynamic than this. It seems to me both Biblically and from experience that there's a little bit of giving from both sides. I came to God and God allowed me to approach Him. If I did not go to God, I doubt that He would have stopped me at the time I wanted to end my life. I very well could've been in Hell as I see it. If I went to God and my heart was wrong (that I was insincere, that I had no true inclination for a personal relationship) then surely He could've rejected me and I would be a bitter, angry person who railed against Him at every chance I got (which would've been my true nature anyway if I were wrong-hearted). But, because I'd approached God openly, honestly, and earnestly, it appears He had accepted me as I accepted Him. This isn't a very 'popular' Christian view, but can supported.

There is a danger to saying "only predestination" in that people may make the mistake of sharing the gospel, then on first question or rejection, they reply with, "YOU ARE NOT CALLED!" and they walk away. To me, that's a sin. We don't have the right to that judgement, and being a skeptic myself, if that had occurred to me it would have done nothing to draw me closer to God. In fact, quite the opposite.

There is a danger in saying "only free will", that is we think we have more power and authority in the universe than we do. God, being God and sovereign, will make His plan work with or without us. I doesn't need us to do anything, but he wants us to be involved. To me, that is love.

[edit on 25-9-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
so you don't believe me... typical. I've often encountered the same resistance, my beliefs have always been called "rantings of a whack job" since the first time I presented them to people.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   

so you don't believe me... typical.

Who said that? Are you "Mai"? I did not know who you were referring to in the numbered points nor what they're based on.

I've often encountered the same resistance, my beliefs have always been called "rantings of a whack job" since the first time I presented them to people.

I can say the beliefs listed are not Scriptural nor according to Jesus Christ, therefore not Christian.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
the reasone they're not scripturable, is because they've been removed or unwritten into the bible. Like I said, Christianity hasn't evolved to accept these beliefs. No church exists that tells these teachings, so I don't go to church because I have yet to find one that accepts my beliefs.

Mai classifies this version of the Christian faith as "Neo-Creationism". There's some other "Lost Texts" to the bible which are attestments to Neo-Creationist belief. Neo-Creationism isn't supposed to be recognized or practiced for another 50 years... at least that is what Mai tells me, maybe there are others like me out there, but I have yet to find them.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   

the reasone they're not scripturable, is because they've been removed or unwritten into the bible. Like I said, Christianity hasn't evolved to accept these beliefs. No church exists that tells these teachings, so I don't go to church because I have yet to find one that accepts my beliefs.

I think that's a problem, shopping for a church that fits your beliefs. I'm sure with enough money you can hire an 'amen choir', but what's most important is discovering the truth no matter how uncomfortable it is to hear.

Mai classifies this version of the Christian faith as "Neo-Creationism". There's some other "Lost Texts" to the bible which are attestments to Neo-Creationist belief. Neo-Creationism isn't supposed to be recognized or practiced for another 50 years... at least that is what Mai tells me, maybe there are others like me out there, but I have yet to find them.

How can it be "Neo-Creationism" when it isn't even "Creationism"? The points listed go against the Bible, not supplimental to it. That would prompt me to question Mai and why. Then I'd ask who Mai serves.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22 >>

join