It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask a Christian (even about the paranormal)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jimbo999

How incredibly RUDE of you coming into a forum that was requested by people, other than Saint, be posted.

How incredibly hateful and disrespectful for posters being in here just to disparage people asking some fundamental questions that they have about their own mortal being.

You not only disrespect the OP but the rest of us as well.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Thank You kindly for this well phrased response.
Apparently some one here needs to get saved.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Hi All--

My belief system in this matter tends to encompass both the philosophical and scientifically theories that explain life. There was a post on this thread earlier that religion was created by a fearful and confused mankind and to this, I agree. This is not to say that I do not believe in the existence of the prophets said to have instigated many religions (Jesus, Mohamed, Buddha, etc.). I believe that these individuals existed, but I'm not necessarily sure of their "holiness." I believe that these individuals were enlightened but the mysteries of the universe itself persist.

Just taking a quick look at modern physics shows that things are not always as they seem. Quantum Mechanics opens up a world of uncertainty, yet Einstein himself wrote that God "does not throw dice." I believe that the closer we get to a theory of everything will be the closer we actually get to understanding God. Often people are on one side or the other when it comes to modern science. It is either a) you believe in everything religious text tells you about the nature of things, or b) you believe in science only and completely rule out the existence of a God-like entity. I tend to believe that science itself proves the existence of a God. I know I'm not alone in this belief.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by deenamarie53

How incredibly RUDE of you coming into a forum that was requested by people, other than Saint, be posted.

How incredibly hateful and disrespectful for posters being in here just to disparage people asking some fundamental questions that they have about their own mortal being.

You not only disrespect the OP but the rest of us as well.

How incredibly RUDE for people to treat ATS members in such a patronising manner! How CRUDE of people to actually insult ATS members' intelligence with such blatant, thinly-veiled propaganda.

Are there not any christian forums on the web??? Why not use THEM instead for all your preaching and propaganda?? People here are getting very bored with your nonsense....

J.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 168.56.255.255
Thank You kindly for this well phrased response.
Apparently some one here needs to get saved.

Yes I do need to be saved; saved from all this constant moralizing and sanctomonious garbage that seems to ceaslessly spew forth from a certain element on this forum. ATS never used to be like this. Not too long ago it was a far, far better place - unfortunately christian extemists have been working long and hard to meterphorically hammer as many nails into the ATS coffin as they can ...

J.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Come on, jimbo - religion and the paranormal go hand in hand. It's like the whipped creme on top of the coco!

I want a platform to help figure things out. Threads like this give me an opportunity to see how others interpret, things I've often thought about.

It's all good, man.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myrtales Instinct

Come on, jimbo - religion and the paranormal go hand in hand. It's like the whipped creme on top of the coco!

I want a platform to help figure things out. Threads like this give me an opportunity to see how others interpret, things I've often thought about.

It's all good, man.

Well then, what would you say if the Moonies or Branch Davidians were constantly posting on this forum trying to 'save' or 'convert' ATS members to their prospective churches? Would you feel the same way about that? I seem to recall ATS being a forum re: conspiracies somewhere. Admitedly, this whole christian infiltration is sure starting to feel like a conspiracy - but I don't think that's quite what the moderators had in mind by 'conspiracy'.

Besides, there are plenty of churches around if you want to do a little 'soul searching' surely??

J.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo999

Originally posted by Nohup

Originally posted by saint4God
By request from a friend, I'm opening this thread to give an opportunity for anyone to ask any questions of me as a believer.

I would, but unfortunately as a Christian believer, all of your answers are going to be perfectly predictable and unoriginal. A person might as well ask a question to a tree or a brick wall. No new or interesting information is likely to be exchanged, and in the end nothing will be accomplished. Thank you, but I'll pass.

Heh! I couldn't have said it better myself. How incredibly patronizing to assume that just because you're a christian you somehow know more than other people here. I would kindly suggest that if anything, it's probably the other way around; you people need to start peeling the blinders off your eyes and give the sermonizing a rest. No-one is really that interested.

J.
This sort of behavior is offensive, i am an athiest in every sense of the word, but have some descency you ignorent man, he may no more than you, he may not, but just because he's christian doesn't make him another species does it?

instead of being a blatant bias'd how about you start talking with your brains instead of your gonads huh?!?!

the OP is very brave for doing this so show respect, personally i dont understand how people can beleive in a god but it sure as hell takes alot of will power and sacrifice and thats what makes you better than any athiest so stay strong dude, if your faithfull enough im sure everything will go smothly, and i also suggest everyone here to stop being so mean to religion

peace out

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Thank you, Mr.Palmer.

It touches me deeply that you have made a stand against intolerance. Of course, this is only a website but opinion and freedom of speech still matters.

Peace and happiness to you

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Well, no problem asking a Christian about the paranormal - but you will get different responses from different Christians.

As one poster pointed out, once you go outside 'the book' mileage may very.
Again, this is not a negative, but explains why there is not a unified Christian response to the paranormal - or anything really. (i.e. the basic issue of salvation varies on who you talk to. Is it a southern baptist or a Presbyterian or better yet a Pentecostal? This is serious as all 3 are vastly different...enough so that one of them if they are wrong will send you to hell.)

Again, it is great to search and find what you can where you can, as yet another poster pointed out. (an atheist who gave his regards for the post here).

My post, again, is just to point out that there indeed are varying levels of understanding/beliefs on this subject alone - and by no means does one user account for the Christian faith or even for a denomination of the faith. (nor do I think the original poster is even trying to say that. Im sure that he/she would very well say that this is based on the word along with testimony.)

Enjoy the post!

Peace

dAlen
- dAlen = its what you get when you mix a jew, catholic, pentecostal, baptist, presbyterian together.
Want an opinion on paranormal, I have one.

[edit on 3-3-2008 by dAlen]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Yes, but without your Book, reference to or inference from it, then you're going to be on pretty shaky ground (or space). Of course, we all have our opinions. But taking a Christian perspective is naturally going to skew and limit your responses in very predictable and unfortunately unenlightening ways.

Oh I don't know, I wouldn't mind hearing a Christian state his/her case without quoting from the Bible. Christianity was around before the Bible was made into the Bible, I wonder what they used to state their case?

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

How incredibly patronizing to assume that just because you're a christian you somehow know more than other people here.

I agree it would be patronizing if I were to assume that just because I'm a Christian that I would somehow know more than other people here. Fortunately that's neither the case nor what I said in my original post.

I would kindly suggest that if anything, it's probably the other way around; you people need to start peeling the blinders off your eyes and give the sermonizing a rest.

I've made no sermon (this is a discussion, there is a difference). I read and take into consideration what others have to say, so I'm not sure where this 'blinders' perception is coming from short of a possible stereotype.

No-one is really that interested.

If you were not interested, you would not have clicked on the thread. Further, you have spent time and energy to create a response. The evidence versus what you say seem to be mismatching.

[edit on 3-3-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Thanks for the props Regina! It's rare that someone agrees with my view on ghosts and other paranormal.

Originally posted by ReginaAdonnaAaron
I commend Saint4God for putting himself out there and opening himself up to probable persecution.

Although I'm grateful for the concern, I'm not under any threat of persecution here. People are killed all over the world every day for expressing their belief in God. ATS has set up a medium for expressing those thoughts without fear of elimination.

Originally posted by ReginaAdonnaAaron
May our heavenly Father guide him and bless him. Amen.

Cool, thanks
. The same hopes and blessings for you too.

[edit on 3-3-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boothead
I believe that the closer we get to a theory of everything will be the closer we actually get to understanding God. Often people are on one side or the other when it comes to modern science. It is either a) you believe in everything religious text tells you about the nature of things, or b) you believe in science only and completely rule out the existence of a God-like entity. I tend to believe that science itself proves the existence of a God. I know I'm not alone in this belief.

I think is belief is in the majority for Christians as well. Science is the "what" whereas God is the "who".

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

...unfortunately christian extemists ...

What is a Christian extremist? Must be someone who takes Christ's words to the extreme. God, I hope that's me:

"Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you..."

"Love you neighbor as yourself..."

Beware of my extreme love, I may hope that you receive all the best in joy and happiness.

I believe there's more reason to fear those who do not take Christ's words to extreme than those who do.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

while I agree with nohup and others. I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

What is your answer for Ouija boards? Please take into account that I have seen a planchette move on its own without anything touching it before.

Now.. please explain.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Which of the below does not describe God?

Omniscient

or

Omnibenevolent

or

Omnipotent

I'll give the reasoning behind the question after you have answered.

[edit on 3-3-2008 by Osiris1953]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

"Love you neighbor as yourself..."

Israel Jews can't love their neighbour Palestine, can they?

If you believe in your god just believe it, why you call yourself christian? You want to be different, and you want people to join you? You are strong or you are weak?

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by enchantress62

By golly Enchantress, I think you've stumbled upon something!

All there was in the beginning at the start of Jesus' ministry was the spoken word----by the Man Himself. Like we discussed in another thread, they carried no material posessions, other than their clothes and alms to purchase food (which was held in common by Judas Iscariot---another idea here; the association of the holder of coin being the very person to betray Christ for money).

I'm enjoying the ideas.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by NephraTari
while I agree with nohup and others. I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

I appreciate it. ^_^

Originally posted by NephraTari
What is your answer for Ouija boards? Please take into account that I have seen a planchette move on its own without anything touching it before.

Now.. please explain.

I believe the planchette did move on its own without anything touching it. Brief story:

I was at a friends house in my early teens. In the adjacent room was my friend's older brother (around 18 or 19 at the time) who was one of the 'tough guys' on the block. He'd get into fist-fights and was known for some rather colorful language that would make sailors blush. He and his crew were in the next room with the door shut. Moments later I heard a very loud wood-on-wood slap, the door fly open and his three friends running down the stairs and out the door.

My friend and I went over to see what the deal was. Our came my friend's brother wide-eyed and pale. We asked him what happened to which he said they asked the spirit to prove itself...to which the board slid out from undernether the planchette, flew up and slapped against the wall and stayed there. After everyone ran out, the board slid down the wall and hit the floor. He gave a nervous laugh saying it was pretty cool, then walked away.

I don't think there's much denial from Christians that Ouiji boards work. The debate usually comes into what it was that was summoned. My friend's brother stated the question asked was "Are you Satan?" to which the reply was "yes", before the board had taken flight.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join