It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prehistoric civilization discovered near Lake Titicaca

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Researcher claims vast network of prehistoric civilization discovered near Lake Titicaca

Using earth orbiting satellites, acclaimed researcher David Flynn has studied the high plateau of Bolivia and found previously undiscovered unnatural patterns stretching outward from Lake Titicaca for hundreds of square miles.

Many researchers believe that the ruins of Tiahuanaco, situated only 12 miles south of Lake Titicaca and near the center of the geoglyphic landscape, is the oldest city ever discovered on earth. Consistent with these theories, the Inca living in the region during the Spanish conquest explained that Tiahuanaco had existed for thousands of years before their civilization began.

There are some great shots here:

Discovery of vast prehistoric works built by Giants?

The story is being widely reported, but not as yet by any mainstream media site:

Google Search

I'm not sure if this is legit, but the satellite images are something to see.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by rizla

"Researcher" being the keyword. As in internet-researcher-with-zero-archeological-knowledge-or-on-site-visit

I call complete bunk on the article. He's generalizing every ground pattern he sees into "geoglyphs" and use low resolution, zoomed out Google Earth images to "prove" it. Its confusion with a purpose: you cant even see the coordinates in the photos, that's how small they are and the article writer know it for sure. Using GE myself to check some of the places mentioned, its incredibly easy to get better zooms and larger screen captures so you can actually SEE some of the stuff.

That's not to say I think there may be some truth to the story. Maybe like 10% of his "geoglyphs" may be interesting (or less).

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
A bit misleading to claim a prehistoric civilisation has been discovered?

Someone has found vaguely geometric patterns on the ground using Google Earth. Until someone properly investigates them, no further claim can be made. Notably, they appear to exist in a populated area and may therefore be up to 20 years old

In this image for example:

www.officialdisclosure.com...

He appears to have discovered the unlost village of Pallin Grande and provides proof that the inhabitants have invented the field.

(use Google Earth yourself, go to the coordinates in the image, and you'll see what I mean)

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
In fact, can the thread title be changed to:

21st Century farming communities discovered near Lake Titicaca?

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Yeah, the whole story does seem rather rediculous. Nothing there at all that even remotely suggests giants of anything. Kinda a waste of space in an article I'd say.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I think the reason that its not being paid attention to has to do with three factors:

"Acclaimed researcher David Flynn" is apparently not a scientist or historian or archaeologist who is familiar with what ancient sites look like from above. He made his discovery public on the "Official Disclosure" UFO website rather than presenting it to peers for review (and pictures from people who visit the area. Scientists don't, as a rule, scan UFO sites for news. The origin point appears to be "Raider News Network" which has the look and feel (and apparent scholarly reliability) of your average grocery store tabloid.

The second reason is that the pictures he's looking at represent (in some cases) known archaeological sites as well as known geographical formations and farm plots. The round pits are part of a known archaeological site... we discussed it here before.

Third, he'd be dismissed because so many of his other statements are wrong. One stunning example was his statement that the Inca empire lasted 100 years. The Incas (as a tribe) had been around for nearly a thousand years and the empire phase of their civilization lasted over 300 years (longer than the US has een around.)

While armchair archeology using Google Earth can produce some good results, it can also produce some silly results unless you're good at sorting out geography from technology... and even then, you really need to go to the place and verify your findings.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Just following on from Byrd's post,

Here's some good detective work by actual anthropologists and archaeologists using declassified IKONOS spy satellite images of Costa Rica.
The story below gives a very good basic explanation of how the ancient pathways were discovered.
abcnews.go.com - Page 1

For hundreds of years, the people who lived near the violent Arenal volcano in Costa Rica followed the same pathway, straight through the forest from their village to their cemetery, over and over again.
Beginning more than 2,500 years ago, the footprints of those early sojourners slowly carved a rut into the soil.
Now, all these years later, scientists are puzzled and amazed by an ancient pathway, long buried by volcanic ash and vegetation that has resurfaced again in satellite images from space.

abcnews.go.com - Page 2

What's amazing, Sheets says, is that this technology should work at all in the Costa Rican rain forest. Satellite images have been used to find ancient human artifacts buried beneath the sands of the Sahara Desert of north Africa and ancient roads near Rome, where conditions are dry enough and vegetation is sparse enough to make it feasible. But no one was sure it would work in the rain forest.

abcnews.go.com - Page 3

A related article on the use of satelite imaging and google earth in the discovery of ancient ruins. Due to the expense of aerial and satelite imagery google earth really is a viable option for archaeologists, they just don't release their findings to UFO sites, preferring instead Peer review, damn silly of them really.

www.cosmosmagazine.com

When NASA's only archaeologist, Tom Sever, looked at an infrared satellite image of a Mayan city in Guatemala, he was intrigued to see the vegetation around the buildings showed up as much brighter than the vegetation in other areas.....snip.....Payson Sheets, a professor of archaeology at the University of Colorado, has directed the Arenal Research Project in northwestern Costa Rica since the 1980s.

But then, as the story goes, an Italian computer programmer, Luca Mori, turned its use to archaeology. Using Google Earth, he found signs of a Roman villa buried beneath a riverbed. He contacted experts, who decided to excavate.

Within a few hours on Google Earth, Madry was able to locate 101 features in an area covering 1,440 square kilometres in Central France. These features represented Iron Age, Medieval and Gallo-Roman sites.
"I have found a very large number of sites using Google Earth from my office here in the U.S.. I was quite surprised at this, and have now given many different short courses in the U.S. and Europe for archaeologists on how to use Google Earth in their work," Madry said

Slightly off topic, but i remembered reading about this discovery at Lake Titicaca many years ago and this thread reminded me to see if i could find it again.

Peru finds pre-Inca ruins beneath Lake Titicaca

LIMA, Peru (Reuters) - Peruvian divers have found pre-Inca stairways, ramps and walls beneath the waters of Lake Titicaca, but experts say
the discoveries are not the remains of a legendary lost city.

"There are studies that show that the lake used to be ... around 66 to 98 feet (20 to 30 metres) lower, and that was where ancient Peruvians
built," he said.

Poking 10 feet (3 metres) out of the middle of the lake, the team also found what they dubbed the "mystery rock" that measures 66 feet (20
metres) across.

A stone statue in the shape of a llama was found on the rock,

Some related links:

news.bbc.co.uk

The holy temple measures 200m by 50m (660ft by 160ft) almost twice the size of an average football pitch.
More than 200 dives were made into the lake, to depths of as much as 30m (100ft), to record the ruins on film.
The explorers found the temple after following a submerged road, in an area of the lake not far from Copacabana town

www.sacred-destinations.com.
Some beautiful photo's and tourist information.

If anyone has any links to more recent information regarding the temple and ruins it would be much appreciated, most of what i have been able to find is at least 5 years old.
Once again sorry for the slightly off topic post.

mojo

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
A lot of what he is showing is the result of Waru Waru style agricultural practices.

Waru Waru or Waru Warn agriculture

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by merka

Why do you say that, I've viewed the area, totally anomolous and unprecidented. Besides, the author of the article has posted images with scale on the original article.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I will admit I was interested about the 13,000 year old discovery, but when the word "giants" came up...
It is quite plausible that the Americas was peopled many of thousands of years before the land bridge theory. Unfortunately, it is articles like these that people don't take the idea seriously.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Howdy Kid

The latest theory and evidence suggests land bridge supplemented or over shadowed by coastal migration. Proven for the west coast, very iffy for the east.

new topics

top topics

join