It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police reject candidate for being 'too intelligent'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Police reject candidate for being 'too intelligent'

www.ananova.com

A US man has been rejected in his bid to become a police officer for scoring too high on an intelligence test.

Robert Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took an exam to join the New London police, in Connecticut, in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125.

But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

Mr Jordan launched a federal lawsuit against the city, but lost.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court's decision that the city did not discriminate against Mr Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

He said: "This kind of puts an official face on discrimination in America against people of a certain class. I maintain you have no more control over your basic intelligence than your eye color or your gender or anything else."

He said he does not plan to take any further legal action and has worked as a prison guard since he took the test.

The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
LMAO...Well this is another first for me-INTELLIGENCE DISCRIMINATION. I don't know, it seems we could use a bit more 'thinking' cops on the beat nowadays, rather than the testosterone overridden thugs we have been seeing all over the news commiting brutality lately. Maybe it's a prerequisite to not be able to think, and just be able to follow the status quo.

www.ananova.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-2-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This isn't really breaking news. It happened in '96 after all. I remember it though. As a matter of fact, the guys was on the Tonight Show after the story broke.

The funny thing is that 125 isn't really an extremely high IQ. It's up there, but not like an intimidatingly high number.

I have to ask now, for any cop that's out there reading. Did you have to take an IQ test when joining the force?

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The more intellegent you are, the more likely you are to think for yourself. Does the police force really want free-thinkers? Or do they want mindless robots that will follow any and all orders?

I believe we have our answer.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Well so much for me getting a job as a police officer if college doesn't pan out. So I can be a Military Policeman but not a Civilian Cop? What?

At least now I know MPs on average are smarter than civi cops. Just in my old platoon we had at least six or seven people with IQs above his 125. Three of them being quite high.

[edit on 29/2/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Wow, weird news. Does this mean cops aren't very bright? That doesn't make sense... what about detectives?

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
An IQ of 125 is too high!?...that explains the cop mentality

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Wow this explains quite a bit about the police I've ever had contact with. What a terrible policy.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
This is old news... it was even part of Bowling for Columbine I believe.

Average IQ people with a need to forcefully get "respected" (they dont know the difference between respected and feared even) becomes cops.

[edit on 29-2-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
While this isn't breaking news it just reinforces the bleak fact that here in the good ol us of A we arent trying to educate people. The public school system and the recent bill to further lower the budget given to them will tell you that much. It's depressing really. With each generation the youth of america is less educated, less likely to question the world around them, much easier to control.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The more intelligent a person is, the less likley they will obey bad orders and abuse the public. The thug cop's want drooling idiots to be cop's, as long as they can write a report and perjure themselves on the stand effectively, they do not want thinkers. People who see the law and apply it fairly do NOT make good cop's , acording to the chief piggies.

They want people who see the civilians in a bad light, and if a cop knows that he is less intelligent than the average person he deals with, he will feel a distance and seperation between them and us, thus allowing for more abuse. Cop's are wanted to shoot straight and not think too mych; thinkiong is for people with brains, and all a cop needs is a minimum education so he can be controlled and convinced that they are superior to us despite their obvious intellectual deficiences.

The cop's are not worried about a recruit becoming bored with the job, unless they are admitting that only the intellectually challenged make good cop's because an intelligent person would see thru the hype and lies and realize that they are nothing more than lackeys for the crooks higher on the food chain and are used to promote bad laws and destroy the constitution and rights that we have left.

If cop's were true professionals they would attract more educated people, but they are not. What they call professionalism is merely accepting the lowest standards possible and then whining that it is all the fault of the people somehow ...like we do not deserve any better. If a doctor or engineer screwed up as often and with as much devastation as thug cop's do, they would never be called profesionals by anyone, ever. That term should be reserved for those few cop's , and they are rare as hens teeth, who actually follow the law, keep their emotions at home, keep their big mouths shut except to give the minimum contact necessary between us and them., and rigorously obey all the rules and law.

A good cop will NEVER ask anyone to give up their Constitutional rights..it is a shame and a disgrace when they do so, and many states are now reigning in the rogue thug cop's by demanding that they actually have some legal cause to request a consent search!! Imagine that! imagine if no cop ever abused us and our rights by intimdating and bullying and demanding and cajoling us to give up our precious rights just so they can have an easy time of it and get an easy bust. Lazy cop's get no sympathy from me.

So we will continue to be stuck with morons with badges and idiots with Tazers acting out their infantile fantasies on us, the innocent public, so the chief pigs can be assured that no one will ever rise thru the ranks and get their jobs..after all, if they keep the dumbells as the standard for cop's, they will never clue in and advance, will they? And, they are more likley to use force and not think before acting, which is what the cop's want...more force and intimidation means more power for them over us.

Some day, there wil;l be open warfare on the streets and in the woods and everywhere....and cop's will no doubt be far too busy trying to stay alive to be harrassing and abusing us for sport, like they do now. I look forward to the day when fear, real fear and terror live 24/7 in the hearts and minds of every thug cop...then they will know that the game is over and their authority and swagger mean nothing when confronted by a determined man with a no nonsense approach to dealing with phony power mad thugs..maybe then they will hire some men with smarts to figure out how to actually do their jobs and stay alive as well.

Until we take back our rights from the fascist thugs that carry badges now, we will always be under their thumb and be abused and harrassed..all they respect is force, so when they learn that we can speak that language also, they will watch their P's and Q's a lot more often.

One more reason to never respect a thug cop: most of them are stone cold morons and uneducated and emotionally disturbed basket cases looking for a way to pay back all the guys who bullied them when they were back in school..some heroe's..pathetic.Cop's are best rteated like mushrooms, feed then crap and keep them in the dark, and if they show any sign of being spoiled, get rid of them.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It's much easier and less expensive to brainwash the less intelligent.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
ATS never ceases to amaze me when it comes to judging my profession and those of us in it. I have SO much I would like to comment on about this but guess what, I spent 12 hours dealing with people, who according to most of you, are MUCH smarter then I am...so as you can imagine, being around such intelligent folks all shift, my pea brain cannot take anymore, so instead I will go to bed. But before I do I will leave with this thought.

I have been a member on ATS since 2007 and after having read some of the posts on this site and seeing the miss-spelling, grammer, sentence structure, thought process, lack of common sense, lack of common knowledge, etc etc etc...MANY ATS members have ZERO room to talk/bash anyone's profession/IQ.

Good Night all...

[edit on 2/26/2009 by rcwj75]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

Why are you ranting and commenting on a thread that is already a year old, concerning an event that is at least three years old?

Isn't there something newer you could be pissed about?

Just sayin' is all....

[edit on 26-2-2009 by loam]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
You see this is a problem.
Because people with a high IQ, would actually excel at Police work, and not get bored at all.
In fact they would have more of a positive impact on the community, than the dumb half assed cops who can barely function.
I believe the reason why they do this, is to get dumb thugs, who will do what they are told even if it is unlawful.
They want an army of thugs, who cant think for themselves.
The Chief wants his own little personal private army you see.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Likely he would make a great CSI though.

Unless the department was into fabricating evidence also.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
I have been a member on ATS since 2007 and after having read some of the posts on this site and seeing the miss-spelling, grammer, sentence structure...

What's that got to do with intelligence?

Does that mean people from non English speaking backgrounds are stupid?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by BorgHoffen
I believe the reason why they do this, is to get dumb thugs, who will do what they are told even if it is unlawful.

The problem also is that plenty of cops don't even know the law themselves. Sure, they know speeding is illegal, but ask about the little laws on the books and they are as clueless as we are. Sometimes making up the laws as they go along.

No offense to our smarter and good cops out there of course.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Wow. I don't know what to say. You'd think you would want to have a very intelligent individual in your police force. What on Earth is wrong with people in this country.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join