It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police put down riot at high school

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Police put down riot at high school

www1.wsvn.com

MIAMI (WSVN) -- Several Police units have arrived at Edison Senior High School to break up what they are calling "a riot." Scores of police cars have surrounded the school, and police could be seen running around the perimeter of the school and have cuffed several students.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
police state should i say

www1.wsvn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

There was an unconfirmed report of shots being fired.
The number of students involved in the riot is unknown

Miami Fire Rescue told Local 10 that five people were injured during the scuffle including three police and two students.

MIAMI -- A peaceful protest may have turned violent Friday inside Miami Edison High School.
Multiple police including City of Miami police, Miami-Dade police and Miami School Board police were called to the school, some in riot gear and some with K-9 units.
Local 10's Jacey Birch at the scene said she is being told by students that it started after a staged protest in defiance of something that happened Thursday at the school

watch live herewww.local10.com...
[edit on 29-2-2008 by JBA2848]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Always two sides to every story... we don't know enough about this event yet, especially to start yelling "police state".

From the article

Moss said his department first reported to the scene when school board police called for back in the arrest of several unruly students. "We did get a emergency call for back up to assist them for several arrests that had been made," he said.

So, the police were called in, it's not like they just stormed the place.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
It's a little premature to claim "police state". Law enforcement was called by the school admin. if I read the info correctly. Whatever the situation that was going on must have been deemed to be beyond their (the school personel) ability to control it.

I say we don't condemn the police BEFORE we have all the facts. Just seems like the judicial thing to do.

Gave you a flag for the post.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Peaceful protest has turned into school riot. I think most threads saying police state would show similar types of things happening.Over powering police presence allows them to control what the media or bystanders would be able to see.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

The police weren't there for the protest. They were called after it turned violent.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
www.nbc6.net...
Another article covering what was being protested.

One student is in jail after more than 300 students marched outside Miami High School to protest the Florida Comprehensive Achievement Test.
Students chanted "No FCAT! ... No FCAT!" and one student was taken into custody by school police. Students chanted "Let her go" as their classmate was detained.
Thousands of South Florida graduating seniors face the prospect of not getting a diploma in June after failing the FCAT. High school seniors are required to pass both the reading and math portions of the test in order to graduate.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Thanks for finding that...

So, the students failed, are upset about it and protested,

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
OOOOHH! big tough cops storm trooping the school for some little kids protesting how the school now decide who graduates.

Looks like kids want in on the action now days. Hey, what the heck, if something is not right, form a protest and make your voices heard.

So a couple of toughs with stinking badges grab a girl and haul her off and the kids didn't like it. I bet those two toughs won't try that again without some serious backup in that school again.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
www.nbc6.net...
Another article covering what was being protested.

One student is in jail after more than 300 students marched outside Miami High School to protest the Florida Comprehensive Achievement Test.
Students chanted "No FCAT! ... No FCAT!" and one student was taken into custody by school police. Students chanted "Let her go" as their classmate was detained.
Thousands of South Florida graduating seniors face the prospect of not getting a diploma in June after failing the FCAT. High school seniors are required to pass both the reading and math portions of the test in order to graduate.

I hate these standard test that the schools give these days. All the teachers do is teach for the test, no critical thinking in classes any more. But, having said that, there must be a way to find out what these kid are learning. From what I have seen, these test are'nt too hard.

I don't blame them for protesting, but how did it turn violent? Oh yeah students don't have a right to protest on school grounds!

Some teacher or administrator probably mishandled the situation and things got out of hand. We shall see!

[edit on 29-2-2008 by realmatrix]

[edit on 29-2-2008 by realmatrix]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The real problem is the ever-growing tensions in American high-schools. The problem is not the police or the protest, but fear. The administration feared violence, which was a very real possibility, so they called in police. The students fear going out into a world that has no place for them, no real opportunity.

High-school students feel the weight of the world on their shoulders. They hear about being "the next generation" and how it will "soon be up to" them to right the wrongs of this world. I was thrown out of high school after demonstrating my influence over about 90% of the student body, on a day that did involve violence. There was no riot on that day, but yes it could have happened very easily, as it could have happened in this case. If the police had not been called in, the school would have been sued by anyone who got hurt.

I just wonder if the police presence agitated the situation, and created the violence. Or if there was already an atmosphere of impending violence, which warranted the dispatch of police forces to the sight of the perfectly legal demonstration.

One thing is for certain. If you decide to gather in numbers, you can expect a police response in one form or another. With high-school students, the police can count on a nudge of agitation to set off some angry inexperienced demonstrator to act as agent provacateur.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Heres a related eveny in where the cops don't take kindly to protesting. The way they react to protestors of anykind is crazy.
www.liveleak.com...

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
That cop had no business there doing what he did, but as a cop who thinks his authority is all encompasing, unquestionable and absolute, he over stepped his bounds of power. His superiors issued a reprimand and had to retrain him how to act when citizens are not doing anything illegal.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I seriously doubt this protest was violent. At all.

This sort of thing happens over and over again. Students, usually college students, stage a protest, the protest somehow mysteriously 'turns violent' and the police are called in to arrest people.

I'll tell you how things 'turn violent'. They turn violent when the police send in agents to stir crap up. And they've been caught red-handed doing it, in all sorts of venues. They did it at the Mexican immigrant rallies, they did it at the college student protests in Louisiana, etc. Sometimes they don't even send in agents to pose as students, they just claim that 'somebody threw something' or 'shots were heard' and go into ROBOCOP mode.

If things had turned violent then students would have corroborated the story. But they don't have a single student to corroborate that things 'turned violent'.

This is BS. This IS police state tactics, shutting down protests for fear of 'violence' when none was reported by the people involved. I doubt the administration was doing anything other than following protocol. Students were showing resistance to authority and free will : better call in the police and claim things were getting violent. Maybe throw in a hint at gunshots being fired (no evidence needed, just put it out there.)

Stanard tactics.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
Heres a related eveny in where the cops don't take kindly to protesting. The way they react to protestors of anykind is crazy.
www.liveleak.com...

Now imagine those kids dropping that sign (for whatever reason) onto the busy highway below and causing an accident and the death of someone because they were to stupid to go stand somewhere else with the sign. The trooper here had no problem with them protesting, he had a problem WHERE they were and that they were in an area that could of gotten someone hurt had they dropped it. Its common sense.

Now just think, just think clearly..they DO drop the sign, cause a crash, its your wife, daughter, father, son etc that gets killed and the trooper says, oh well tough ---- they had the right to be there with their 30 foot sign over the bypass.....now the trooper is all of a sudden still a bad apple because he DIDNT do anything....the lack of common knowledge in people these days is sad.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Not related to miami
How about this article. Homeland Security mock drill at a school right after a school had gone through a shooting. www.upi.com...

Many had not received the announcement sent out by school officials or had forgotten about it by the time a "gunman" showed up in Jingbin Wang's foreign policy classroom at Elizabeth City State University, The (Raleigh) News & Observer reported. The drill last Friday occurred eight days after the shootings at Northern Illinois State University by a former student who invaded a classroom.

The man, actually a campus police officer, forced the students to line up against a wall and then said he planned to shoot the one with the lowest grade-point average. About 10 minutes later, a group of campus police rushed the classroom.

Great roleplaying. I guess they should of know there would be drill. Our kids are trully being prepared for a police state.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Here are some facts about the school in this article.

Student Graduation Data (2006-2007)
Number of Graduates: 409
Graduation Rate: 29%
Did the Graduation Rate Increase from the Previous Year: Yes

School Statistics
General Information
Total Students: 1,474
Full Time Teachers: 95
Student/Teacher Ratio: 16 Students : 1 Teacher

This school trully is not doing to good on teaching students. 1 teacher for every 16 students they should be doing better. When I was in school there were atleast 30 students to 1 teacher.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

My question:

Why are high school seniors failing reading and arithmatic?

Shouldn't they have been held back at a much earlier grade?

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Heres account from students.
link
heres account from a senior
video.ap.org...

[edit on 29-2-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
uh-oh abunch of teenagers standing up for something they believe in, that's not good. teenagers don't know anything and they are emotionally unstable so they might turn violent, lets just stop them with the police.

(sarcastic tone)

I respect these kids, more teenagers need to stand up for what they believe in. Why do you think teenagers keep killing themselves, because nobody listens to what we have to say, most people just "assume" that teenagers are wrong.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join