It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favourite childhood memories....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Hello Everyone,

Thought it would be cool to have a thread about your favourite childhood memories...

Memories that are special to you for whatever reasons....

To give you some ideas, it could be from an event, day out, birthday party, family, best friends....anything really.

Have fun.

JQ.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I have quite a few..

The first time I went fishing with my dad, probably one of the best, think I was only 8 at the time, but we spent the whole day together... didnt catch anything but that wasnt the point..

I also remember camping in a tent in my mates garden, think when I was about 9 or 10. The weather was pretty bad, rain and strong winds but we decided to do it anyway. His dad said watch out for werewolves, (parents can be so cruel) to which we said yeah whatever..

Later on that night, his dad cut out an outline of a wolfs head from cardboard and put it behind the tent so we could just see a shadow...

Boy did we jump and run....and then laughed, pretty much all night.

Regards,

JQ.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by John Q

year six archery was top of the team and then at the last part i failed
was a point i will not forget.

reason its my favorite
i learnt a valuble lesson dont be cocky

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This will give you insight into how dysfunctional my family is..but is definitely one of my favourite childhood memories.

On our street was your typical grouchy old man. Hated kids near his property. Always complained if anyone honked their horn, or if we made any kind of noise when playing out on the street. He would sit in his front window just waiting to pounce!

My mom had had many run ins with him. My brothers and I were always getting yelled at by him as we were right next door and we could never do anything right. My stepdad got an idea one snowy night to make a snowman on this guy's lawn. We knew that'd piss him off because we'd been on his lawn but was hilarious cause...come on how can a snowman NOT make you smile.

Well, being the dysfunctional family we were, the talk quickly turned to things a little less "happy" than building a snowman. After much discussion we agreed upon what we would build. And in the morning, what greeted our crotchety old neighbour was a 4 foot high exact replica of a toilet...complete with a flushing handle and toilet seat. We did a great job, and were laughing our butts off at him out there a few days later trying to knock it over with a shovel.

I wish I still had pictures of it...it was awesome

LMAO...that still makes me laugh!!

Michelle

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
thanks for the thread johnQ

my dad recently died so i am thinking a lot about childhood and the contact to my dad

some of my most favorite memories are connected with him

my earliest meomory when i was 2 1/2 years old
- sorry it is a sad one - my dad leaving me coz he has to go to hosipital visiting my mom
and leaving me with my nan
i am standing at the frontdoor of my nan and didn.t understand what is going on

the other one takes place a couple of month after this incidence
i am dressed in a blue velvet dress
my dad and me visiting my other nan
sitting at her coffee table eating plumcake with cream whipped cream and i am pressing and sucking this cream with tons of noises - noises only kids are able to produce
my dad wants to interupt me, it is nasty ;D but my nan tells him to stop interfering

my most holy memory:
i am at 4th grade, we had to pick up some leaves and such stuff from the forest for biology
i forgot that and in the evening i told my dad
he woke me up at 5 in the morning the other day and went with me to the forest, watching the sunrise and collecting these letter

and i love to remember all the evenings and nights we just sat around tallking when i was about 15/16
my mom coming around all the time, telling us it was toooooooooo late
but we chat and chat
was really pleasent

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Sweet thread and all your memories are really something: up:

I was a BIG E.T fan when I was a child and would tell everyone that E.t and me where best friends and that every night I would go up to space to visit him, lol

One evening my brother an I where sitting pretty bored on a cold winter night when a knock came to the door, my dad was like "ohh it’s late who could it be"

He went out and then we heard him say "WOW” he came in with a big box and a bag... we where like WHATS THAT???

He said he had no idea but he had seems a light in the sky and then this stuff appeared on the door step with a note, My brother an I was jumping up and down saying READ IT READ IT!!

It said, to (my name and brother’s name)

Thank you for loving my movie and thank you for being my friends, I have sent you something to help make you astronaughts... Love you’re Best buddies E.T

We where shaking with excitement and ripping the box to see what we had got,

We had a big blow up Space ship, space helmets and ET posters; we slept in that for Weeks! Loll

Always makes me smile thinking that our dad had done that for us and in a time where money was very tight,

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

What! No Reese's pieces???

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Well I don't know if it was my favorite, but it stuck in my head for 34 years so far. I was about seven years old and the television was plugged in and turned on. I was holding the antenna wire. You know the old 300 ohm flat wire. Someone told me that is tickles your tounge if you place in on your mouth. So like a hairbrained kid I tried it and it zapped me unlike electricity but enough to make my mouth feel weird for about an hour. My mouth was not shocked but I sure was at the feeling. I will be 80 years old and still remember that day!

reply to post by asala

Oh the crazy and silly things we do and say when young!

[edit on 26-7-2008 by MrMysticism]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
So many memories..
wow..
I spent a lot of time with my dad. He would sit me on his lap and drive his truck. Same with his tractor and even his grader. That was the best. I was 5 years old and driving this huge piece of machinery.
Fast forward a bit, dad has past on.
I spent many days just sitting on the dock by the river.Watching the boats, and the fish in the water under my feet.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
3 from when I was younger.

1) I remember as a kid (maybe 5 or so). We were living in a trailer home at the time in Alabama. We had a section of sand in front of the trailer where I was playing. I had a plastic bowling set. 9 plastic pins and a hollow bowling. I remember sticking in the pins into the sand and rolling the ball towards them. Needless to say every bump in the sand sent the ball going all over the place. I then got to thinking. Walk closer to the pins and then let the ball fly? Nah too simple. I suddenly got an idea. I took the bowling ball stuffed it into the sand and walked backwards in a line digging a trench! I then rolled down the Trench and hit the pins!! I felt so proud that I hadda show my mother. "Mommy! Mommy! You got to see this!!" and then I demonstrated what I had done with a big grin on my face.

2) Age maybe 10 or so. By then I had already sorta taken over my father's workbench and was busy disassembling things and building other things. I built a mini wind generator when I heard about how a motor could generate electricity. I took a AC electric motor and mounted it (Pointed up) on the end of a piece of wood. I then took 2 pieces of wood and then made a cross shape and slapped it on the end of the motor. I then took 2 egg cartons, cut them in half and mounted the curvy bottoms on the ends and proudly stuck the entire contraption out in the back yard. It spun!! I then took a gauge and connected it in order to see how much electricity I was making. I had visions of powering the entire house with this thing. My Dad would be so proud of me! I had solved my parents electric bills!! Well, It was rather disappointing. I watched the gauge waver back and forth from power in one direction to power in the other direction. Ah well. I fondly remember the feeling of pride in that.

3) Right around that time I remembered rading about hovercraft and how they worked. So I decided to build one. Small scale of course. I took one of my mother's butter containers (country crock I think) cut 4 holes in the underside, slapped a motor and a propeller from a rubber band powered airplane inside of it and hooked up a transformer from my HO scale race track up to it. The goofy thing actually worked. I steered it by moving the wire running from the transformer. I went to show Dad my "Invention". He looked at it and saw it working. He said "That's really great! Just don't let your mother see what you did to one of her butter containers. You remember she uses them for her strawberry jam when she makes it." I felt so proud of doing building it and getting it working on the first try.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The mystery of the world in all of its aspects, and the wonderous feeling of the magnitude of it all.

From family and friends to the exploration of the unknown, life held much mystery, as it still does, but somehow as a child, it was magical.

If I had to choose a favourite memory, it would be that of the many Christmases in which my uncles and aunts and all of my cousins got together. The laughter and the food. The card playing and the conversation. Playing games and the singing. It didnt get much better then this.

A single day in a year, set a fond memory for life.

Peace

[edit on 26-7-2008 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Nice thread.

The oldest favorite memories of mine took place at a big old house we lived in when I was about 3 and a half.

One was finding Easter eggs in the crook of this old oak tree.

The other was sitting in the strawberry patch in the springtime, and sharing the fruit with a box turtle that lived in the patch..WE had many conversations, me and that turtle.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   
One of my memories was when I was learning to ride a bike. The first time I did I went down a hill. Didn't know I had back brakes and I was really scared about pressing the front brakes because I thought I would fall off. I ended up crashing and flying off the bike into a tree.

I remember one time at school when we were doing a play- an awards night and I had to dress up in a teddy bears costume and act as chewbacca and my friend she was princess leia. Good times.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by nahsik
One of my memories was when I was learning to ride a bike. The first time I did I went down a hill. Didn't know I had back brakes and I was really scared about pressing the front brakes because I thought I would fall off. I ended up crashing and flying off the bike into a tree.

Ok...your post reminded me of an experience lol.

My dad was teaching me to ride a bike on our driveway which was a moderate hill. He told me as he was letting me go down the hill to watch out for the dead end sign across the street.

Out of control, at a hi rate of speed I made a bee line for the sign he warned me about, crashing straight into the post. lol

Peace

new topics

top topics

join