It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harry withdrawn from Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Harry withdrawn from Afghanistan

news.bbc.co.uk

Prince Harry is to be withdrawn from Afghanistan after news broke of him serving there on the front line.

The 23-year-old royal, who has spent the last 10 weeks serving in Helmand Province, is to be flown back to the UK amid concerns for his safety.

The move follows the collapse of a news blackout deal, after foreign media leaked the story.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I knew that wouldn't take long once the media leaked the story. I'm torn between thinking it's a good idea to get him out of there since he'd be an obvious target...and being mad that he gets to be "saved" whilst all the other military personnel have to stay and risk their lives.

Not sure how I feel about this at all yet.

Michelle

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Michelle129

In essence this is little different from the MOD's response if there was a direct, specified threat against any other named individual; the individual is removed from theatre as soon as possible. IMHO the MoD has done the correct thing in sending him out there and very few in the Armed Forces considers it to be a bad idea (British Army Rumour Service). It is obvious that the media blackout removed the risk completely and allowed a serving Officer to perform his duty, it is only a shame that the media blackout didn't last for the whole tour.

[edit on 29/2/08 by Naboo the Enigma]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Oh yes, I understand why they would pull him out and I agree with it. Him being a possible target not only risks his life, but the lives of others around him. I guess I'm not necessarily mad that they've pulled him out, but rather mad that the media leaked the fact that he was there in the first place. It's about time someone other than "regular folk" can see and experience first hand whats going on out there.

Michelle

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
SHOULD NEVER HAVE GONE IN THE FIRST PLACE !

I said this somewhere else this is a farce the reason you ask well...

The reason this is a farce is no other serving soldier would be shown this same privalage unless there was maybe a death in the family back home.

Then they would be right back out there.

To me personaly just look's like Harry has had his excitement now he is coming home.

Well thats a load of tripe in my opinion if i was Harry i would be devastated as i would know personaly deep down i was being treated differently from anyone else serving with me.

As a former soldier myself i can tell you i bet he is feeling down in the dump's and he should be.

Nevermind let's extend the news at ten for him.

PATHETIC.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 29-2-2008 by h3akalee]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by h3akalee

Agree with you on this, total nonsense. Why did the royal family just buy him a copy of cod4, to fill his fantasies with.

I wonder what the people serving with him really feel, about him getting out while they are stuck there?

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
it's a scam - strange how they had all those films and interviews ready to go as soon as the news broke.
And my guess is that they had a hand in the news breaking as well:
"Right, he's had his fun, time to get him out of there"

The one person in all of this I feel for is harry - he just wanted to do the job he gets paid for, and although I understand the reasons he no longer can, it all stinks of a set-up to me.
Everything was just too conveniently at hand.....

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
If Harry's got any balls at all, when he gets home. He should slap in His PVR and tell 'em to stick the Army. I'd not want to serve if i couldn't fight.

Still we can thank the Americans for the news breach. when they're not out shotting our boys, they're grassing them up to the enemy, makes you wonder who's side the USA is really on.

Peace...

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Lee,

If any other British soldier was the subject of a specific threat from the enemy then he would be shipped home in double time. Harry's position merely makes him more likely to receive such a threat. If you payed any attention to the news you would notice that Harry is devastated that he can't be treated like an ordinary soldier, but he has fought to ensure that he can do what he can as a serving officer.

Budski,

The footage was shot as part of the deal between the MoD and the media allowing the media access to Harry whlst he was in AFG in return for their silence. The footage was intended for use on Harry's return to the UK in April; after the leak the MoD authorised its use yesterday.

There is no conspiracy here, just a commissioned officer trying to do his duty in unique circumstances.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Naboo the Enigma

I made my point quite clear anything else i could say to agree with you would be a complete and utter lie.

In all honesty i hope he is devastated but lets face it nobody really knows all the facts do they.

My opinion stands and will not change just because someone think's it's wrong.

It's not about who is right and who is wrong who is happy who is sad ect.

You said

QUOTE. If you payed any attention to the news you would notice that Harry is devastated.END QUOTE

I say

Are you being serious hahahaha.

IT'S JUST PATHETIC.

That is all.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 29-2-2008 by h3akalee]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Naboo the Enigma

no conspiracy, just deals between the MOD and the media - and probably the royals as well.

Of course secret deals aren't a conspiracy

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by h3akalee

Harry is a commissioned officer, I can guarantee that he is devastated about not being able to finish his tour of duty and do his duty, not least because he will be forced to leave the men he has led behind.

If you really are an ex-soldier, you are extremey ill-informed about military policy and I would suggest you refrain from further comment in this area.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Rock Ape

Correct me if i am wrong but wasn't it an australian magazine that leaked this particular news. If you wan't to blame us for things that is fine but please check your facts first before assigning things to us. Overall however i do believe the correct decision was made in pulling him out, this is just good sense because not only would he be a high profile target but a definitely highly sought after one, and not only would the leak put him at highr risk but it would put his entire unit at higher risk so this decision wasn't really just abot him but other peoples sons doing thier duty.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Hi Naboo Like i said i made my point quite clear the fact that you cant accept my personal opinion is not my fault.

Nobody else seem's to have a problem with it apart from you for some reason and i find that pretty odd.

Take a step down off your high horse maybe and realise this is a place for personal opinion and debate.

And also realise you can not choose who post's what where and when.

If you want to know my true feeling on the subject then very well.

I think it was a PR stunt let's face it he was a wreckhead before he went into the army.

His image needed a spring clean and what better way for 3rd in line to the crown than to send him into a warzone on the hush hush and then all of a suddan make it public ?

More of a public relations's stunt than anything else notice how they had all the footage ready to go ?

Whit woo mommy look at Prince Harry firing the 50 cal.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 1-3-2008 by h3akalee]

top topics

join