It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormons

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Ok I saw the South Park Episode, where they went on about Mormons, I could not believe it was true, but when looking it up, it was about 98% accurate to the official version. This is a big time religion. That has very respected members. How can they believe the Joe Smith Story? If you need to know the story I will post it.

Any thoughts on this just being another BS way to make money off of people? I know every religion has some pretty fantastic tales in it, But this guy just made tuff up on the fly when caught lying.. Uggh

Thanks

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
How is it different than other religions?

Some Guy made up most of all of them.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

Brilliant episode.

Just goes to show how humans will blindly follow something some loon dictates as gods will.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I have a mormon couple that lives next to me. They are nice, polite and kind people but have some quarks. They wont drink anything with caffine or alocohol. No swearing or watching R rated movies. Have to wear these wierdass undegarmets (men and women) look like long underwear. Always trying to get me and my wife to go with them to thier mormon events at church and stuff (convert us). But if we ask them to go to our christain church (its a flat out no way. They wont do business with people unless they are mormon. Like if they wanted to buy a house, they would have to use a mormon real estate agent. Nice but kinda psycho. The most bizzare thing of all is the man (who believes in all the above) is a tank driver in the army reserve. So although he cant watch an Rcrated movie, he is allowed to blow the #e out a school house in Iraq. I remain confused by the mormons. @#(*!#@)(#*)%*%^&^@!%@

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I know religion has some stories that dont make sense, but this guy was caught in a lie and they base there religon on it. If you know the story, you would see the difference

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Please post the story. I have not heard it before.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
the official site of the church of latter day saints has it all im surprised how close it actually was to the sp episode pretty sad really

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
www.rickross.com...

I will make a summary up to right now of the mormon version

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Yeah, mormons are a querky bunch. I bet there are more mormons in my neighborhood than yours.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Are in Salt Lake CIty?

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
What makes mormons so quirky? A lot of you have some big misunderstaninds of the religon. If you would like to know more, please ask and I will answer. Yes, I am mormon, although not active. I have been in the religon my entire life.

I just want to point out a couple things:

1. Mormons are allowed to drink pepsi, coke, etc. They arent allowed to drink hot drinks with caffienne, ie. coffee, tea. Whats the difference you may ask, I have no clue. I have wondered the same thing for a while, but in any event, Mormons can drink coke, pepsi, etc.

2. Mormons are not required to use fellow mormons for business purposes. There is nothing written in stone that says we must do that. Some mormons maybe choose to do business that way, but it isnt a must.

Ask away. If I cant answer them, I will do my best to get the correct info. so I can answer you.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Ok Mayhem - whats up with the wierd David Koresh under garmets?

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Oh, I response to how mormons are "forbidden" from watching R rated movies, that isnt true either. Each religon comes out with guidelines they would like their members to follow. At one time, church leaders said they did not want members to watch R rated movies. However, it is not forbidden.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Joe Smith Said he was out in the woods praying to God to ask what religion he should be, and God and Jesus told him to start his own religion because none of them were right. So one night he was visited Or had a vision depending on who tells it from an Angel named Moroni.
He told Joe, he was a Native American and that all the Native Americans were white, and took a boat from Jerusalem. But they where all killed by the other tribes of Israel and they are the native Americans today because God turned there Skin Red.

So he told him to look for some Gold Plates which have a new Gospel that says Jesus came to America.
He told Joe where to find it and Joe said he found it with 2 Stones the Urim and Thummim that could translate the plates, When asked where they were, he said God said he could not show them to anyone. LOL

So, he goes to a rich guy named Martin Harris, he said he needed money to publish his book the book of Mormon, So in order to translate the book and have no one see it, While Martin Harris Wrote, Joe, Put the Plates with the stones in a Hat and stuck his head in it to read it and started his translation because the stones turned the words into English. LOL OMG..

So Martin Harris goes home and tell his Wife, His wife says how do you know he is not making it up, She tell her husband to go back and say he lost the transcriptions and if its true he should be able to translate it exactly again.

When he told Joe Smith this, Joe left and said he had to pray, He came back and Said God was mad and that he was no longer able to translate from the one book , but could translate from another, so the story will be about the same but different. LOL..

And the Mormons KNOW THIS LOL.. My lord...

There a bit more but that's the basic story.. Oh Joe said the first Man and Woman came from Jackson Missouri LOL

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Yeah, Salt Lake City. I was raised in Utah but, I'm from a non-mormon family. I have a different point of view than Mayhem.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamrebel
Ok Mayhem - whats up with the wierd David Koresh under garmets?

LoL. David Koresh? I dont really know how to explain it in a proper way, but the mormon religon highly respects a persons body. As part of when you go through the temple (different from a public tour) you take certain promises upon yourself to live a certain way and to also remind you of what promises you make.

On the garments there are several markings that many people dont know about. The markings are placed over certain parts of the body. This all has to do with the temple ceremony that takes place in the temple.

Again, wearing the garment is not a requirement. Please choose to do it. Yes, the garments are long and are really sexually unattractive, but we do wear them. Did this help at all?

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
Joe Smith Said he was out in the woods praying to God to ask what religion he should be, and God and Jesus told him to start his own religion because none of them were right. So one night he was visited Or had a vision depending on who tells it from an Angel named Moroni.
He told Joe, he was a Native American and that all the Native Americans were white, and took a boat from Jerusalem. But they where all killed by the other tribes of Israel and they are the native Americans today because God turned there Skin Red.

So he told him to look for some Gold Plates which have a new Gospel that says Jesus came to America.
He told Joe where to find it and Joe said he found it with 2 Stones the Urim and Thummim that could translate the plates, When asked where they were, he said God said he could not show them to anyone. LOL

So, he goes to a rich guy named Martin Harris, he said he needed money to publish his book the book of Mormon, So in order to translate the book and have no one see it, While Martin Harris Wrote, Joe, Put the Plates with the stones in a Hat and stuck his head in it to read it and started his translation because the stones turned the words into English. LOL OMG..

So Martin Harris goes home and tell his Wife, His wife says how do you know he is not making it up, She tell her husband to go back and say he lost the transcriptions and if its true he should be able to translate it exactly again.

When he told Joe Smith this, Joe left and said he had to pray, He came back and Said God was mad and that he was no longer able to translate from the one book , but could translate from another, so the story will be about the same but different. LOL..

And the Mormons KNOW THIS LOL.. My lord...

There a bit more but that's the basic story.. Oh Joe said the first Man and Woman came from Jackson Missouri LOL

You are so off base from the story. You have some true details in there, but its way off. But I know you wont believe me either.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Kinda helped. Why can my neighbor not watch Saving Private Ryan on DVD (or its frowned upon being R Rated) but yet be a Abrams Tank Driver in the Army and blow the crape out people and buildings in IRAQ. Seems a bit odd! Please explain.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Well I didn't get this just from south Park, and I do know there are several versions of the story,.. But perhaps there are some facts left out But From the Mormon site, I compared ir, there may be other pieces that make these make more sense, that may be the case, Because I would like to know. Because from what I see right now it was a mass brain washing.

PS Every Mormon I have met IS very very nice, a little odd, but very very nice and have good families, and do things we surly don't do we wish we could or chose to do. And no offense is meant, but the names and places in that story are true Correct?

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Well the difference I would see is one is on a movie and the other is an occupation or real life. The main reason for the mormon church going against R rated flicks was because of the language, sexual preferences, drug use, etc.

The church has never come out and said that a person shouldnt work in a particular occupation. I have relatives who are active in the church but also fly apaches. I also have a buddy of mine who is a marine and current stationed in Iraq.

So my point is, one is a movie, the other is a job.

BTW, I just want to point out that I am not here to stick up for the church. I am only responding due to the fact I see so many falsities being said. I have questions about the religon too.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join