It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wicca, gentle nature lovers or a wolf in sheeps clothing?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by enchantress62
To be a Christian as with any other religion you should first understand what you are commiting to.

Fair enough. Just didn't want anyone to think one is Christian by what they do. Certainly one is to 'practice what you preach' but many can practice anything without believing it. A good example is the following:

My agent calls me up and says "Listen, your public perception is really down. You need to host a big charity dinner. TV, reporters, everyone will be there. You give 2 million of your 48 billion income per year to Homes for Children Charities." I say, "you know best, man", host the dinner, go on tv, tell some sad story to reporters and fork over a giant check. Just because I give 2 million to a charity doesn't mean I have 'a good heart'.

Without the knowledge we get from these ancient writings how do we know what to believe in?

The writings help, but the writings I go by also say the law is written in the heart. In otherwords, deep down, we know right from wrong but often choose to ignore it.

It's not a right or wrong answer they've given, but an honest one.

It is both an honest and wrong answer. I think you'd be perfectly justified by the same Book in their hands by saying the right definition you'd given me.

They don't know why they are calling themselves Christian because they don't understand what being a Christian means.

Totally correct! And, is why I'd be more than happy if you were able to give them the right answer.

It's all about the persons beliefs and what constitutes being a Christian means to them.

That's not what the Book in their hands says.

I know that there is more involved then just saying you are one, but a lot of ppl don't get that and it's the same with our religion. Some ppl, escpecially young ppl look at the Wiccan religion and think it's cool, they dress up in clothing they think represent's it and call themselves Witches, but some don't take the time to understand what it all means, what it's about, why we believe what we do, or how to practice in respect to those beliefs. Again that's where practice in religion comes in to play.

I see that too. Sounds like we share a similar problem.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Ugh, dup post monster strikes again...

[edit on 14-5-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

enchantress62
That said, I have a question. Where did mainstream society's view of witches come from? I'm talking about the frazzled hair, wart on the nose, pointy black hat, broom flying over the moon way society views witches. Nothing I've read so far answers this question for me. Historically, witches were the midwives or nurses of the town. The word "Witch" coming from the word "Wicce" meaning "Wise" So at what point in history did we decide that witches were something to fear? That they were ugly, ominous, and evil?

We didn't. It was the patriarchal religion followers that decided that and forced populations to believe that. Women were too powerful and people would seek them for help and healing, you don't want that in a patriarchal to-be society.

Some years ago a read an article that could well explain why where witch portrait as ugly hags, with horrible hair, twisted fingers and green skin. I can't find it anymore but I remember that article because it shocked me, I'll try to remember most details about it though.

Remember the burning times. Keep in mind that the top suspects accused of witchcraft were women, either midwives, wenches or just old ladies that knew how to cure with herbs, sorta like female physicists.
They were usually taken at night so people wouldn't see them or prevent the arresting process. They'd be taken to the dungeons to be tortured, raped and some killed until they confessed, either way they'd be killed in a matter of days. If it wasn't the fire, it would be the wounds and disease.

After all this, any human would be misformed, bruised, bloodied and would have many broken bones.
Why was the skin green? After being beaten black and blue, your skin would be bruised and take that greenish tone.
Knobby twisted fingers and wobbly legs? Broken bones, resulting of the torture devices and tools.
Toothless mouth and deformed nose? Would give you an older look, even if you were 17 years old, after the beatings.
Crooked back? Hours of abuse and laying on the cold floor after your spine has been punched, kicked and stretched.
Dirty and messy hair? Burned, pulled, thorned hair from your scalp.

After this, anyone would confess to be a witch and the crowd would be present to witness what a witch looked like while she was being transported to her trial grounds before the final blow: Fire, hanging, drowning or even stoned.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

enchantress62
That said, I have a question. Where did mainstream society's view of witches come from? I'm talking about the frazzled hair, wart on the nose, pointy black hat, broom flying over the moon way society views witches.

We can mostly "thank" the inquisition and the many witch processes that swept over pest ridden Europe during the Dark Ages-- for most, if not all modern myths surrounding witches. Among other things they were said to being able to give people warts, the truth would be that some warts are contageous and back then people were always looking for a judasgoat to blame. As for the hair, I don't know, but the story behind the broom is a rather intriguing one, but not one I am ready to explain here. It's rather explicit. If you send me a personal message I guess I could tell you what I know.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by enchantress62

I've heard Wiccans make great lovers..."in touch with nature" indeed

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Cantwara

The accusation of witchcraft goes as far back as time, ancient tribes had shamans and such but they also believed in witchcraft of the negative kind.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Utnapisjtim

enchantress62
That said, I have a question. Where did mainstream society's view of witches come from? I'm talking about the frazzled hair, wart on the nose, pointy black hat, broom flying over the moon way society views witches.

We can mostly "thank" the inquisition and the many witch processes that swept over pest ridden Europe during the Dark Ages-- for most, if not all modern myths surrounding witches. Among other things they were said to being able to give people warts, the truth would be that some warts are contageous and back then people were always looking for a judasgoat to blame. As for the hair, I don't know, but the story behind the broom is a rather intriguing one, but not one I am ready to explain here. It's rather explicit. If you send me a personal message I guess I could tell you what I know.

And most of those accused were Christians.

www.historyextra.com...
edit on 122828p://bSunday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

enchantress62
For the record I am a practicing Wiccan. A solitary Witch to be more specific. However, I was raised Catholic and as an adult followed the Lutheran faith. At one time in my life I was a very devowed Christian, but as time went on and I got more envolved in Christianity, I slowly became more and more dissatisfied with those beliefs. I then did some soul searching and started a quest to see what religion did make since to me. Out of that quest I found my own beliefs fit most closely with the Wiccan practice. So, for all you out there who think I might have been led astray, that's not the case. I made an informed, educated, conscious choice.

That said, I have a question. Where did mainstream society's view of witches come from? I'm talking about the frazzled hair, wart on the nose, pointy black hat, broom flying over the moon way society views witches. Nothing I've read so far answers this question for me. Historically, witches were the midwives or nurses of the town. The word "Witch" coming from the word "Wicce" meaning "Wise" So at what point in history did we decide that witches were something to fear? That they were ugly, ominous, and evil?

It likely came from some grain of truth somewhere.

For every negative stereotype that exists of every group, there is some grain of truth that started it off.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Stormdancer777
And most of those accused were Christians.

Well, they were Europeans, and unless you were a Christian and went to church every bloody Sunday, the Church or any given Christian authority would have had you burnt to dust in front of the Church in front of everyone. Back then you were either Christian or dead.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

Likewise.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by enchantress62

Written in the pentateuch is a command that states: "do not suffer a witch to live."
Why you ask?
The craft has a tendency to bend easily to the will of the practitioner.
This lead to people of the religion(s) to fear harm.
Paranoia is not the case.
The two rules often debated who was to be victimized.

Example:
Boy wonders... and girl seems him. Likes him. Wants him.
Cries for him passionately...
He does not return feelings because he loves another...
This is the beginning of an unhappy witch hunt. Vengeance she imagines is hers.
Poor boy.

Next... is the fear of the golden calf.
Revered by folk of all ages. Yellow/GOLD significant of fear. Calf with horns represents a man of youth and strength. People call it the bully. Spells are cast to stop mortals from growing.
So... demonized witches are frowned upon. LOL.

Wicca:
Trial(s)- 0
Initiation(s)- 1-3
Principle(s)- 4-7
Discipline(s)- 8-14
Practice(s)- 15-22
Experience(s) 23-32
Union & Mistress- 33

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join