It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What dog should i get?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Pit Bull. He'll be a good guard dog.

He'll also get rid of that stuck up Burmese

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ColdWater

Yes, our Burmese is stuck up. But we love him for it. He's a little bastard and he's proud of it.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Thanks everyone. We picked up a puppy from the pound on the weekend. It's a staffie crossed with something. We're not sure. It's kinda of got a face like a Ridgeback, but we don't think he's going to be as big as a Ridgeback. I guess we'll see as he gets older. He's already pooed on the carpet. But i guess you get that.

Thanks for all your advice.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
rule 1: if the dog pees or craps on the carpet ITS YOUR FAULT.

smacking only tells him not to do business in front of you.

seriously, after he's had a feed take him out for business. everytime you do it say "do wee wees" and he will learn the command.

if his nose hits the ground and starts sniffing, hes looking for a place to do business.
if its bed time and he wont go i have resorted to taking a wizz in the back yard myself, dogs follow the leaders example
(sounds gross but it works)

positive reinforcement gets you a much better dog than training by negative reinforcement (encourage him to do right instead of smacking him when he does wrong)
he will be more eager to learn new things because he gets rewarded..
smacking tells him not to try new things because if he gets it wrong theres punishment coming his way. (he will have a slight fear of doing wrong instead of being excited to learn new stuff)

you probably know most of that stuff i guess.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

The shelter dogs that I've had have been the BEST dogs that I've had. Don't be afraid just because you've heard some horror stories. I swear to you... those dogs just know that you've saved them.

I have also experienced an overly aggressive, epileptic golden retriever. I love him incredibly much, but the point is that there can be horror stories in purebred dogs, too.

Let your heart lead you, and it will lead you to the dog you are supposed to have in your family!

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
back on the toilet training issue,it's quite easy to get them to use the same spot of your garden/lawn/yard. Just get a little post or something,put it where you want his toilet to be. When he goes out,take him on a leash,and hover round the post. If he pees up it,or does his no2s by it,then make a fuss,and reward him.

And well done on getting a rescue dog,both of ours are rescue dogs,and they're great (although my poor little man is going blind,I'll be his guide person.)

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
can't go wrong with a basset hound. i have one and i am hooked on the breed. i will never be without one. if/when something happens to my dude that i have now, i will be getting another.

a basset or a basset mix

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I wouldn't get one with a flat face because after watching The World Without People I was like OMG HOLY XELDA MUFFINS BATMAN i'm getting a dell. wait what?

They were slow and died quickly.

Personally I would want a strong dog, furry, yet not too big, average I guess.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join