It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS.MIX: Above Politics Show 05

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
IMO Israel joining the Commonwealth would be a bad apple . Israel membership would be diverse(SP?) . The Commonwealth is made up of nations with differnt interests and that are spread out geographically. There is no Commonwealth military alliance or force .

Despite the amount of aid they get from the US to my knowledge Israel doesn't even make token contributions to peacekeeping operations world . So its not like Israel has any political capital .

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Hey, let's have some fun. Tommorrow we will see some pretty big primaries. What are your predictions? Be specific.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

The Commomwealth came from the British Empire and that is what ties the vast majority of the members together.

While the Commonwealth does not have a military organisation in the mound of NATO, it does still have political teeth within the Commonwealth and Pakistan has been on the receiving end recently. Membership of the Commonwealth has been suspended for some countries at some point.

And the Queen still has a great deal of influence, not only in the Commomwealth but the larger world. Just look at the red carpet rolled out in the US for the Queen's last visit. They kicked the British out!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Justin_Case

Predictions.............................hummmm

I got one. We will be talking about them on the Next Above Politics Show

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Martin Bain
The Commomwealth came from the British Empire and that is what ties the vast majority of the members together.

Indeed every four years sporting fans are treated to the Commonwealth games which long long before my time known as the Empire Games.

, it does still have political teeth within the Commonwealth and Pakistan has been on the receiving end recently.

Well Fiji has also been suspended from the commonwealth and we are yet to see elections in that country . So it is debatable just how much influence the Commonwealth has over its members. But I do take your point on board.

Just look at the red carpet rolled out in the US for the Queen's last visit. They kicked the British out!!!

I don't know about considering the US and England have been allies since World War One and remain so I would expect something like that. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't wish any ill on them and I have a lot of respect for Harry service in Afghanistan. My point being I don't have any great affection for the Royal Family .

Have you considered the notion that the elite in the US that are often discussed on the boards are most out of touch with the common man then the Royal Family is ?

Personally I hold the view that despite the impression they give by by speaking proper e.t.c that the Royal Family is more in touch with society in general . I regard this due to Harry and Andrew service rather them being in touch with the middle class.

OK for the sake of discussion I will say that Hillary will win Texas because of her political connections that she has build up over the years.

[edit on 3-3-2008 by xpert11]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Great Job guys
Keep up the good work!!!! All I need to do to catch up on my political awareness is check out your show. Keep em coming!!

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Thanks for the kind words, Klever!

Wow! Hillary wins Texas, Ohio, AND Rhode Island. That's gotta hurt if you're an Obama fan.

WHAT are the implications of this win? Has the media turned on Obama? Does Hilary have a new lease on her political life? Does this make you want to reconsider term limits? How many of you will leave the country if she becomes President?

[edit on 5-3-2008 by Justin_Case]

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justin_Case
Wow! Hillary wins Texas,

I called that one correctly .

WHAT are the implications of this win?

From this observe perspective the race is still interesting . From a political stand point Super Delegates will be the deciding the factor . This one is going down to the wire and maybe even the convention .

Has the media turned on Obama?

I cant say from where I can stand but I doubt that any pre existing basis have changed.

Does Hilary have a new lease on her political life?

The media will say so but she was never out of the game .

Does this make you want to reconsider term limits?

Do you term limits for presidents ?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
As a matter of fact, we do have term limits for Presidents. 22nd Ammendment to the U.S. Constitution. Wasn't always like that, but now they are limited to two terms.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Yeah term limits for presidents were brought in after FDR died in office and he didn't follow the unwritten law or tradition that Presidents only stand for two terms at most.

My question wasn't very clear which is my mistake so I will try again.

Are you referring to the term limits for presidents or proposed term limits for Congress ?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Actually, I do think that term limits for Congress would be a good idea. Nobody needs to make a career out of Congresss when tney are supposed to be serving the public interest.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   

But how does that fit in with Hillary candidacy ?

Cheers xpert11.

[edit on 5-3-2008 by xpert11]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join