It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google adds 1 billion pages to search

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
We all know how important those google ads are here at ATS right, we consider google our buddy, well now they've gone and given us more...

Google adds 1 billion pages to search

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- Google Inc. and Yahoo! Inc. are revving up their online search engines as the once-friendly business partners shift gears and prepare for what promises to be a fierce rivalry.

Google unveiled an even more powerful version of its leading search engine with the addition of 1 billion additional pages to its Web index, increasing its breadth by about one-third. Google's engine, the most popular on the Web, now spans 4.28 billion Web pages, up from 3.3 billion pages earlier this week.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Hi EO!!

WOW!! Now *that's* what I call an Information Super Highway!!

A very fine search engine indeed - let's click those ads people!!

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Whoa. That's a lot of pages. I never knew there were that many pages even made.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
They are getting ready for an IPO this summer. It's going to look like 1998 all over again.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Google is by far my favourite search engine and now it's getting even better, nice. Thanks for the info elevatedone

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Google did this to give more breadth to their engine, in prep for the yahoo and microsft challenge.

It has been estimated about 10 billion pages are available on the web.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
Google did this to give more breadth to their engine, in prep for the yahoo and microsft challenge.

It has been estimated about 10 billion pages are available on the web.

10 billion pages... wow, I never imagined,

You wouldn't happen to have an alphabetical listing would you

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
The addition of nearly 1 billion pages is most likley due to google increasing the number of bytes in the docID from 4 bytes to 5 bytes.

2^(4 * 8) = 4,294,967,298
2^(5 * 8) = 1,099,511,627,776

However, if Google merely changed how the new document spider works, they've only bought a little time until they need to move to a 5 byte docID.

new topics

top topics

join