It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey, what IS "God"?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I'm just responding to the OP's first posting (is that redundant?)
I have had fun arguing from a scientific point of view and from a Christian point of view. I have found both extremly unhelpful to explain to others.
What I have found is that the "God is Love" crowd has it right in the most oversimplified but accurate way. For me, proving God exist or what God is, is so unimportant in my life at this point. But I of course am stuck on figuring out a way on convincing others what I know. Yeah, that shouldn't matter either and I will get over it someday. I can't even convince my fellow Christian's. I wonder if it would be easier to get people to agree to some degree what love is?
Are there cultures that love their children differently? (more thought than how we actually treat them) what I mean is, on paper would we write down what it means or feels like to love our children not how we actually practice this "love". Lets say for the sake of argument that most cultures love their children similiarly.
1) would you ever send your child to Hell? (if like many, not me, believe in a hell) I found many Christians that would say "of course not" but they have no problem thinking that God would send anyone to Hell if they don't believe...(fill in the religion or denomanation) Aren't they in fact saying that they are more forgiving then that which created any forgiveness attribute in them? Gee, I am more forgiving than God is. Of course you get a lame argument after that.
I guess if you feel that you can be more forgiving than God then that is a seperate issue.
2) Some people wrestle with the question "what is the meaning of life?" what is the point? why would God create me? Are we some sort of experiment? Are we created to sing his praises? Not a tough question to answer if you have a working definition of "Love".
I didn't have 4 kids because I wanted them to sing my praises. I didn't have them as some experiment. Why do people have kids? (not the society purpose or the animal instinct) I assure you I didn't have my kids to populate the Earth or to be my legacy or because I had some drive. (sex is different) I am not going to waste time on explaining because anyone that purposely chose to have kids could certainly understand and anyone who has ever had a pet, dog or cat. Why does anyone have a dog? What does the dog do for you? If it didn't sing your praise would you be done with it?
So, that is all anyone needs to understand about why we are here and why God created us. "Love creates"
God is understandable by everyone. If you know what love feels like or is then you are on your way.
The simple answers: God is not human (created in his image, our capacity to love and know love is the image) Is God just a ball of energy?
I wouldn't be thrilled with that idea and can't relate to a ball of energy but if that ball of energy is the source of all love in the universe then I'm cool.
Where my Christian friends have a fit is that I tell them that it doesn't matter to me if Christ was the son of God or not. He is my hero and I find no fault in his teachings. If he says he is the son of God then that is good enough for me on faith. But if we find out he wasn't, my world wouldn't change. I would still be a Christian, a follower of Jesus. I get in trouble for that. But I digress.... God is accessible to everyone if they understand or feel love. All the tough questions are easy. What is a sin? easy question. The absence of love is 100% evil, there fore non-existence if God is everywhere. 100% love is God. Now every choice anyone makes can slide on that scale. Any choice not to love is a "sin" or some degree of evil and versa vice.
....I sound too preachy. The question is, "who is God?" You have to start with God is Love and work from there. The better understanding of that the better you can answer every question... at least I feel I have gotten every answer.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
God is like a perfected infinite orb, filled with infinite mirrors and infinite ideas all of its own creation.

We, are like the infinite reflections, with infinite contradictions of angles and degree; thus why from particular perceptions, there is misunderstanding of what really IS.

I believe to begin to understand WHAT god IS, perhaps we need to get rid of any contradicting reflections within ourselves; including a sense of self.

just my opinion

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Seeing how every single religion has their own definition of what god is I suppose it comes down to then defining what each of these beliefs in god are defined as….

An example of this is what do Muslims define Allah as…?
What do Christians define Yahweh as..?
Etc

Since there are different concepts of what god is, in just one of many religions (such as Christianity) it’s almost impossible for Christians to come to a conclusion - so it then being impossible to determine what god really is as no one can decide.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
The Ultimate nature of "God" is the origin of creation. God is the consciousness that all other consciousness spring up from. God is the creator of all the elements of God. God is that spring of original creation that happened infinate time ago at a distance beyond you're ablities to percieve. God is the creator of all creators and all creation.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by andre18

"God" is so far beyond the consepets of any religion presented to mankind at this time. People lose site that "religion" isn't a fact sheet. The belief of God is the latest ability to understand God, however anything close to a full understanding of God upon mankind is a far off from here and now.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
The mono-theistic religions...Christian, Muslim, and Jew have the same God. They define God the same way. Find two of any of these faiths to agree to their interpretations then that is a different question.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

God" is so far beyond the consepets of any religion presented to mankind at this time

Sorry but no.....

God came from us as an idea to explain the world and the universe around us to explain things we couldn't undestand.....

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I love the post S&F.

Religiously:
I appreciate the hindu holy trinity of the 3 functions of god. christiany has the same thing.
God in us (the son), God of the greater universe ( the father), God the life force that flows throughout the universe and ties it and us all together (the holy spirit).

Logically:
I would have to think of it mathmatically. I am going to skip the talk of dimensions and matrices and state it simply. Here are the characteristics of god.

1. All things are achieveable through god. Translation. "god is possibility"
This means that god exist on a higher dimension (greater than 3) and is able to see the full possibilites of our collective universes which are infinite. (possible with a matrix)

2. God is eternal. Translation " god is existance"
He can see the past, present, and future.

I really dont want to go too in depth into mathmatics, but there is a matrix that could actually be considered a god like matrix where all the infinite possiblities (past, present and future) of our universe are presented at one time. If there were actually a conscious being whose mind and existance could operate on this level, that being could be our "god".

It would be amazing to think that maybe one day the human consciousness could reach this level of understanding. Until then, god can not be disproven.

(Matrix does not equal Keanu reaves)

[edit on 13-8-2009 by CosmicYahtzee]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join