It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we exist?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Well I was saying these to make a point. Not all disabled or mentally challenged people are the happy oblivious "setreotypical" mentally challenged person. I volunteered in a nursing home, and we had quite a few severely mentally handicapped people in there, but they were just cognisant enough to know that something separated them from others.

It's not the feeling of not being like the people on TV. It's the feeling of not being like everyone else. People don't want to be alone their whole lives, and everybody wants to find real meaning to their lives.

While I agree with the fact that your life, in the end, is only as good or bad as your reaction to it. what about a girl who's born into slavery, used as a sex slave, and then dies a horrible death because her captor who was her father didnt get what he wanted from her and he was drunk? How can you be positive about your life in genuine misery? Children starving in Africa is always a popular example of the less fortunate. Who gave these people born and raised in miserable conditions the choice to be there?
What is the use of a consciousness that is limited to only one life, and the only purpose of that life is to live and die in dreary ways? How can you even know how to make your one shot count in situations such as those?

I think that "you only get one shot at life, so make it worth it" phrase is just something Western/materialistic societies have learned to say in order to justify and normalize greed, materialism, laziness, convenience, just about every shady idea or vice that you can think of. If everyone's thinking they only got one shot at life, and society and the media and the government and the people surrounding one another are all parroting the importance of money, greed, power, looks, possessions, etc since the day they were born, you have a conditioned slave to your system, whether he knows it or not. He won't because he won't remember a time when he wasn't fearing not having a big fat retirement fund and life insurance policy when he got older and died.

We don't exist for any of the things we are living in servitude to. Does anyone really like money? No. They just like having STUFF because their minds are not as developed as they could be because of the failing school systems that are that way on purpose, so they surround themselves with things made by big corporations that makes them not have to think, and actually puts outside thoughts directly into their heads without much consideration of what's being said, because it's presented entertainingly, and people automatically remember things when they were entertained.

We don't exist to fear not existing anymore. We came from somewhere before "we" existed, and I assume back we'll go to become the bigger picture once again, once we die and cease to "exist" inn this dimension's sense.

Anyway.... I think the real truth lies in boredom.

We exist because of GodGames.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
'We' are here because we are one of the many types of end-results
that the universe can and does produce.

animated, even intelligent, bilogical entities which reproduce are just one
avenue the process of creation by the material universe can take.

it is our own ego and hubris, which thinks that 'We' are an epitome of these universe evolutions...

a nebula cloud of heavy elements which can be a Sun nursery, which can develop solar systems , which in turn can give birth to life forms upon those various planets... and that series of event in the creation process Is much more significant than plants, animals & man,
which seem more to be the end-product (waste) of the dynamic universe than the hope or the future of our time-space

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Thank you.

Please drop it at that, I mean, come on, if you're asking that question in 2008 you're REALLY just part of the blind media.

We have EVERYTHING at our fingertips I MEAN COME ON we're going to be uploading books of knowledge in a few minutes through technology we will release in the next 10 years.

Proof?

The beggining.
www.emotiv.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Some intelligent responses. I'm impressed.

However, if there is a young girl in your community who is living the kind of misery you suggest then perhaps you should do something to change that situation.

'Disability' is a generic term and is very wide ranging. I too have looked after disadvantaged people. After 22 years in the British Army I took up a career of looking after severely traumatised children who were referred by the social services to private professional residential care. I could only manage it for a few years, and I have a great deal of respect for those who do it 'long term'.

However unfortunate, reality is not 'fair'. Like I said, wishful thinking will not make it so. Those of us who are really concerned about others who we consider to be less fortunate, should get off their backsides and do something about it, rather than harp on about what a cruel world it is. The more we talk about cruelty whilst doing nothing, the more we 'normalise' it.

I understand the need for a 'Little Mouse Circus' (The Green Mile), but we are all 'grown-ups' here. It's about time we accepted responsibility for our own actions instead of whingeing at our laptops.

This does nothing to answer the question of why we exist. I will offer a serious answer, but nobody will like it. However, I challenge anyone to say this could not be so without referring to their own religious doctrine.

We are here simply for the amusement of other higher intelligences.

Best wishes

Myrdyn

[edit on 1-3-2008 by Myrdyn]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by sumperson
Ok Hal9000 I will end this discussion.
Yes?

What you will find is that even if you continue and even look further into other reasons for existence, you will inevitably wind up at the answer I gave and will be no better off except for gaining wisdom from the learning process. I just thought I would save you some time. You may not like the answer, but I think once you realize the truth it brings freedom. Freedom from being stagnated by some religion and allows you become a student of the universe.

Originally posted by indierockalien
The point is this... with that kind of theory about existence, you could say that some people obviously don't deserve to have a chance at life. What about severely crippled or deformed or mentally challenged people? This would be their only chance at life, however unfortunately, things in which they cannot change have permanently caused lots of those people to barely even lead fruitful and meaningful lives.

Everything is relative. I would rather be a disabled human, than some animal of lower intelligence. (except for maybe a bird, that would be cool)

Originally posted by Myrdyn
Wishful thinking doesn't necessarily make it so. We tend to believe our religious doctrine because it makes us feel comfortable, binds us together in groups and creates a safe environment. Unfortunately, due to human nature, it is also leads to 'gang warfare'.

Exactly. In my opinion, religion also stagnates your experience tying all your thoughts to one idea. The best thing to do is to study many religions and then ask yourself which one is right. The answer is none of them.

Originally posted by indierockalien
I think that "you only get one shot at life, so make it worth it" phrase is just something Western/materialistic societies have learned to say in order to justify and normalize greed, materialism, laziness, convenience, just about every shady idea or vice that you can think of.

You are assuming a lot and though you think it may be an excuse to go around doing whatever you want, that is not the case. Once you know that we only have one shot at life, you realize how precious it is, and brings new meaning to the justice you also referred to.

For example, it makes it even more tragic when someone takes the life of someone else. The person that is killed will not be coming back and that is all the more reason that the person that ended their life deserves the same. It also means that abortion should be illegal.

This knowledge helps you reach a higher moral than even religion brings. You figure out the reason why it is wrong to kill someone other than just being told it is.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Shortly said for Hal -

We are here because the universe is here, so STOP asking why WE are here because you may be unhappy or undisclosed about life, and human life, and start asking why is the UNIVERSE here.

That's the real question.

If there is no force that creates life,
then there would be no life too begin with, and life wouldn't just magically evolve either.

The fact is the universe is like a recycle bin, the crap gets dumped in it and is deleted while the other stuff is left behind, but eventually, every computer (metaphor for universe) must format(erase all too 0) for upgrades, or for a new system.

If you're wondering if life exists after death, Go too the research forums and look up the subject "Conciousness".

Thank you for your time, please enjoy your earthly interpretations me and HAL9000 will now travel too the Reticulan 4 solar system and converse with some higher intellect.

Bye bye,

*snip*

i like binary =)
1x2=4x2=8x2=16x2=32x2=64x2=128

@_@

Staff Edit: Please be mindful that posting unbroken lengthy strings of text will warp the page view for everyone. I've removed it to restore the page to it's normal display. Thanks.

[edit on 3/2/2008 by Djarums]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prophet-Ezekiel
Shortly said for Hal -

We are here because the universe is here, so STOP asking why WE are here because you may be unhappy or undisclosed about life, and human life, and start asking why is the UNIVERSE here.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think he/she should stop asking why we exist. I just think the answer is right in front of our face, but we fail to recognize it because we don't like the answer. People hope there is more to this life because they are unhappy with the cards they were dealt or something. I think once you accept that things are the way they are, then you can move on and make the most of it. For me I study the universe and get great pleasure in learning all I can. I like to think there are others in the universe and study the possibility of ET life. This may not be for everyone. They have to find whatever makes them happy.

For some it may be volunteering their time working with disabled people making their lives better. I think that is more noble than what I do when I volunteer my time showing someone a view of the stars that they have never seen before, but I think that "giving" is the answer to finding happiness. I don't concern myself with things like my neighbor having more than what I have (except when it comes to telescopes). When you reach that point, you no longer need to ask why we exist and just try to make yourself a better person. You don't need a religion to do that.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
First of all, you have no right to tell me what to think. I just want some answers that obviously noone can give me, so I don't know why I came to this website looking for answers when there obviously are none. I'm not trying to be wise or come up with all the right answers, I just want some people to put in some unbiased comments. I don't care about god or jesus, honestly, if there was a god, I would never be born because I dread waking up every morning. Don't give me what you think is right, give me what you think is wrong because then and only then am I going to get the most outward oppinions that are probably the most accurate, and don't lecture me about what your beliefs are, lecture me about the most random and "out of this world thing you can think about because I guarrantee you, we can never imagine why were here.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Why are we here?

Look up darwinism, big bang.

Or how microbiological entities eventually manifest into lifeforms as intellegent as ourselves.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sumperson

Judging by the attitude you take in this reply, it sounds like you have deeper issues that anyone here can help you with. I'm sorry if you don't like what I posted, but when you start telling me I don't have the right to post what I think, then you have certainly come to the wrong place. I come here for some friendly discussion, and this conversation has been anything but that. Good day, and I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sumperson

"One must look inward to understand that which is outward." Somebody said that, don't know who, heck maybe it was me

But seriously, if you dread getting up every morning, you must begin a journey from within. Seeking help from others to understand the meaning of life is okay, but you have to understand what they say is only their opinion.

I'm not trying to attack you...I'm concerned that you don't enjoy your life and would encourage you to seek answers in the many books that are available. I am a Christian, so I would tell you to start with the Bible. But I don't like to force my religion on anyone so I'm not telling you that you must do that to find the meaning of life. It would, however be a good place to start. If you have difficulty understanding any of it, there are many who are glad to help and won't preach to you.

I'm sorry I haven't read the entire thread...I'm a little odd and tend to start from the end, so if someone has already said this, I apologize for repeating it.

I hope you find your answer in good order.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Why do we exist?

That is up to each person to determine. My reason for existence is different from each and every other human being, and visa versa.

At some point, in most people's life, they come to the realization that "This is why I am here". It is usually a very personal thing. There is no "one answer fits all" in this game.

That point may be because of an event, a person, a belief, or a realization.
It may be because of religion, science, happenstance, whatever.

Asking the question you asked is the first step. The rest is up to YOU, not me, and not anyone else.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Sorry everybody, I came off a little, lets say A-hole-ish in my last reply. You can post anything you want to. Once again sorry.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by idle_rocker

I'm sorry I haven't read the entire thread...I'm a little odd and tend to start from the end, so if someone has already said this, I apologize for repeating it.

I don't think that's odd at all. When I lived in NY, and rode the train into Manhattan, I always read the Post starting at the back- the sports page, and if I was lucky, I never got far enough forward to read the news, which usually was depressing anyway. The nice thing about sports is that whatever happens, really has no lasting effect on my life.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   

God would have to have emotions making him, or her, want contact with other beings, but wouldn't god have to create emotions? Why did this thing want us?

Why on Earth (or in Heaven ; ) would "emotions" be needed in such a situation?
(Unless the word is just a misnomer for "wanting" or "desire"?)

As for why anything exists (in any sphere or at any level of existence, including the theoretical eternal bliss of Heaven or whatever anyone calls it) - in other words, why existence exists at all - that is my personal pet (self)question, too.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
religious people will say we exist becasue god created us and should serve him

but i think we exist because 'the universe works in mysterious ways'

[edit on 2-3-2008 by Dark_Ace]

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Can you even begin to imagine the cellular lottery that brought you into existence? It is mind boggling.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join