It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we exist?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
This is my attempt to get answers to one of the many questions I have.
If we were created by a "god".....why? God would have to have emotions making him, or her, want contact with other beings, but wouldn't god have to create emotions? Why did this thing want us? Did it need us? Are we just it's ant farm? If there is no god then we are just worthless peices of matter loosely held together made by chance to live, consume, experience, then die. On one hand we exist to satisfy a superior being's playtime, on the other we just happened to spring up from nothing?

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Nobody can give you an exact reason.

However, I'd love to discuss why YOU think we exist.

I've come across some reasons such as first man only existed to find shelter, food and reproduce.

Then a shift in consciousness (EGO) gave man a desire for wealth. What is wealth? well it's pretty much the accumulation of more food, bigger shelter, and a larger family.

After that, man's desire point to power. He has all the wealth he can possibly want, but something is still lacking, so now he controls others.

After the thirst for power is quenched, man usually seeks spirituality and is not satisfied with this material world. Now, there are people, like me, who skipped the Wealth/Power desire, and went straight to spiritual. I was never rich, and I was never 'powerful', but I always had a need to know.

He starts asking questions. Questions such as 'why do we exist?'.

Is it possible to answer a question this way by using any examples of our 5 senses? I don't think we can. You have to feel it inside.

What if the answers are always there, and you just need to ask the right question to 'unlock' them? Keep asking away my friend, and you'll figure things out
As soon as you do, you'll notice others will start noticing the same things, as consciousness is all one.

As for your question ,"If there is no god then we are just worthless peices of matter loosely held together made by chance to live, consume, experience, then die"; you're right. If there's nothing else out there, then we're just exactly what you described.

If that was true, you wouldn't have the desire to find out why we're here. However, by asking the questions, it shows that there's a need inside you to know. That need didn't just come out of nowhere. You can say God put it there, or you can say your consciousness elevated to a certain extent. You are more aware now than previously in your lifetime.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I believe to get it right. Buddhism is on to something about reincarnation.
I keep remembering the colonel at Roswell supposedly reminiscing about the injured alien relating how if we had a more conjoined conscious he could heal.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Yes I also believe that Buddhism sounds right when it comes to reincarnation. I also believe that a state of being could exist after this one. Look up near death experiences and you'll find lots of stories of people seeing a bright light and familiar loved ones. Some even say they have seen the fires of hell.
(I don't believe it exists)
Pardon me if I didn't interperet your comment correctly but I don't necessarily agree that just having these questions in my head proves in some way that a divine being exists.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Hell is symbolism.

This I have discovered.

Reincarnation may in fact be real. I am not too prude to consider it.

But if it is, "Hell" is the next life, simply put. Because even in Buddhism, if you live a bad life according to them, a materialistic non spiritual non disciplined approach, and hurt and kill, if you even get put into a human body next life, it's going to be a terrible life. Like living in a nuke apocalypse in the future, like having down syndrome, like being born into extreme poverty, uneducated in a 3rd world country. Or an extremely painful life of disease.

Now, here in lies the similarity to Abrahamic Monotheism. Buddhist Nirvana equals my Heaven. Escaping reincarnation, aka escaping Hell, is exiting the loop of reincarnation through enlightenment, which can only be achieved through diligence. When you escape the reincarnation, I do not feel that you cease to be or go back to the oneness and no longer exist in any fashion individually when attaining Nirvana. I think it frees you from that bond, yes, but into an afterlife that is open and great and like all the stories that have been conveyed about a Heaven like place. This is where the two seperate paths, monotheism and buddhism, merge, if you allow them.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Text Black There isn't a person, from the leaders of the world, to the pope, who know anything about an "afterlife". My mind, my brain, could conjure up any image I wanted to believe in, and it would be true for me. Whatever people believe that is comfortable to them, and makes them feel good about how they believe, is the only answer you're going to get, period. I take the road of evolution, since, and sometimes answers can be right in front of you, even if thousands of years ago some ancient civilization had somewhat of a modern cultural pattern, they still didn't have what we have today. If people can say they changed from ten years ago, and we all do, then why is it so hard to speculate that maybe, just maybe, we are here to evolve. Into what, who knows? But life gives clues to our existence. The past is gone, done. This country started and the evolution began. Are we the more evolved species? Gee, Rome, Greece, Africa, Egypt,etc., all have been around thousands of years before we came. Yet, this country is what defined evolution in other countries... coincidence? Maybe. Why didn't Eienstein stay in Germany? Until people start having more solid convictions, and realize the government can't afford to have a country full of evolved people, ( thats why you must be limited by what the bible says, and that alone helps the government keep people in their place, and fear what our own government can do to us, ) what difference does it really make if you have a spirit thats going anywhere when you die? What if there were actual prove one morning that the whole "going to heaven when you die" was nothing more then a "red herring" to distract people from the real purpose of whats going on. Imagine millions of people being told that there's proof that when you die, thats it. These people live to die. They throw their entire existence, their opportunity to evolve away, simply because they believe that after their bodies gone, some electricial charge in their brain is going to simply float away to some happy, joyful place. Enjoy the life you have now. Why concern yourself with what you'll never understand. There's evolving, and there's leaving alone what's just getting in the way. If one person on this planet could show me actual prove of what happens after you die, then I might change my stance........but, hasn't happened.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
If there is a reason, it's going to be far more fantastic than "god" or "spirituality". It'll blow our minds. However, if there's no reason, we're an accidental consequence, and that wouldn't surprise me.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
It's a little like wondering why your parents had you.
I mean, you didn't ask to be born.
God can BE our Father. If you're born again.
You're not his pet. You can be loved as the apple of his eye, if you are righteous,
through Jesus, because you CAN'T do it on your own.

How sad that people live here thinking this is it.

The Bible says;
1Cr 15:19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

He is the MOST important One here AND in the next life! He loves us!

Psa 16:11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence [is] fulness of joy; at thy right hand [there are] pleasures for evermore.

If you've EVER been close to Jesus(not just knowing ABOUT him) You KNow what Joy is!
Happy like a little child again!
I used to ask the same question. Why am I here?
Now I know!
To not be a slave to Satan, but, to love God and my fellow humans!

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sumperson

read "Illusions: the adventures of the reluctant messiah" it's a great read and might be able to give you some insight. I have also delved into other books dealing with Bushido and Zen which are also good. I can't tell you for sure why we are here, as the answer really delves deep inside you and only you can answer that.

an interesting quote: "Here's a simple test to figure out if you've finished your mission in this world... if you're alive, it's not finished"

[edit on 28-2-2008 by Question]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by quintar

What if the answers are always there, and you just need to ask the right question to 'unlock' them?

"it is not the answer that is the most important, only the question" -?-

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
We exist to learn, to know, to feel, to love, to experience all that is created in this universe.

If there is a God and he/she did create all that is in the universe, he/she would want witnesses to see his/her accomplishments. He/She would need and want us to learn, know, feel, love and experience all that He/She is capable of.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
We exist to learn, to know, to feel, to love, to experience all that is created in this universe.

If there is a God and he/she did create all that is in the universe, he/she would want witnesses to see his/her accomplishments. He/She would need and want us to learn, know, feel, love and experience all that He/She is capable of.

If there is a god, it's possible that the (He/she) would be something god would have created.

[edit on 28-2-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sumperson

I rather like the old Sufi explanation:

"God created the world because He wanted to see His face in a mirror".

Still my favourite, after all these years...

[edit on 28-2-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by quintar

Sure I can.

We exist so that our DNA can continue to reproduce through living systems.
Living systems are anti-entropy.
Living systems hold consciousness (as kind of an industrial by-product).
Consciousness creates reality by collapsing the quantum wave function.
Living systems continue to evolve and expand in an attempt to incorporate as much matter and energy into their systems as possible.
At some unknown point (possibly now), a living system will incorporate enough of the matter and energy in the universe to reach a point of temporal equilibrium.
At the point of temporal equilibrium, the past, present and future will all be the same thing.
At the point of temporal equilibrium, the living system will use its consciousness to bring itself into existence, by manipulating fundamental particles, programming its own DNA from chemicals, and arranging molecules to form a basic reproducing cell.
Time will/will have looped back upon itself, and the process will begin/continue again.

We as individuals play an extremely tiny role in the process -- no more than any individual cell in your big toe or a single bacterium on a piece of chewed gum -- keeping reality relatively stable and coherent by temporarily observing it from our individual points of view. We're not special. When you die, your portion of reality will cease to exist, however, billions of other conscious lives will keep the ball rolling. Eventually, life will absorb the universe again, and bring itself into existence again, including yourself. Not that time is repeated. But at a certain point, it all becomes one thing.

Why does all this happen? Because Jesus is good and likes kittens? Not exactly. It happens because it has happened and will happened. Otherwise, it wouldn't. It's not personal.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Nohup,
is that YOU in your avatar?
I asked it before, but, someone else thought I was asking THEM.

Are you pretty O-L-D?
Just curious.
I'm no spring chicken, LOTS of white hair!

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
Nohup,
is that YOU in your avatar?
I asked it before, but, someone else thought I was asking THEM.

Are you pretty O-L-D?
Just curious.
I'm no spring chicken, LOTS of white hair!

No, that's Carl Jung. I'm old, but I am not, nor do I look, that old. I am extremely wise, however. Whatever that gets me.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
No, that's Carl Jung. I'm old, but I am not, nor do I look, that old.

Then you Must be an academic, because you do sound rather learned.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I believe we exist as a way for the universe or universal conscienous, i.e. God to experience the universe.

Nothing more nothing less.

It's all about experiencing things. That's my opinion.

Yes I would also believe in reincarnation with this theology of mine(even though I'm pretty much agnostic)
. So see ya in the next one.

To Add:

Wow quickly reading over the thread, I was suprised to see the word experience pop up I believe at least once(possibly 2 or 3 times, yes I'm a bad boy, I just skimmed).

Great post World Watcher, I didn't think anyone had the same types of thoughts on the universe, and experience.

So ya, to put it in a nutshell. We are he as a way for the universe to experience itself.

[edit on 29-2-2008 by Nola213]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup

Originally posted by quintar

Sure I can.

We exist so that our DNA can continue to reproduce through living systems.
Living systems are anti-entropy.
Living systems hold consciousness (as kind of an industrial by-product).
Consciousness creates reality by collapsing the quantum wave function.
Living systems continue to evolve and expand in an attempt to incorporate as much matter and energy into their systems as possible.
At some unknown point (possibly now), a living system will incorporate enough of the matter and energy in the universe to reach a point of temporal equilibrium.
At the point of temporal equilibrium, the past, present and future will all be the same thing.
At the point of temporal equilibrium, the living system will use its consciousness to bring itself into existence, by manipulating fundamental particles, programming its own DNA from chemicals, and arranging molecules to form a basic reproducing cell.
Time will/will have looped back upon itself, and the process will begin/continue again.

We as individuals play an extremely tiny role in the process -- no more than any individual cell in your big toe or a single bacterium on a piece of chewed gum -- keeping reality relatively stable and coherent by temporarily observing it from our individual points of view. We're not special. When you die, your portion of reality will cease to exist, however, billions of other conscious lives will keep the ball rolling. Eventually, life will absorb the universe again, and bring itself into existence again, including yourself. Not that time is repeated. But at a certain point, it all becomes one thing.

Why does all this happen? Because Jesus is good and likes kittens? Not exactly. It happens because it has happened and will happened. Otherwise, it wouldn't. It's not personal.

I believe nohup has come close to the answer, if there even is such a thing as an answer. As cold and ego assassinating as that realization i, it... well see I don't really know what to say because I haven't made up my mind as to whether or not I like the truth of the matter. It's bizarre.

But I believe God is every single thing that ever existed and ever will exist, and he/she/it is experiencing all of us all of the time. We can't know Him through one person who lived 2000 years ago. We can know him by just existing, because haha April Fools, you're the only consciousness that exists, and all of this stuff around you, even the friends you've made and the family who loves you, it's all you.

I really really get sick to my stomach at the thought of that.

Sorry, inevitable Bible Thumper. Your church lied to you. That's the truth.
Just...if you wanna grow spiritually, throw out Christianity, because you've gone as far as you can go. Praying to Jesus will affect your life just about as much as praying to vegetable. Buuuut, I understand why people cling to these fairytales. For some reason, we all need meaning to our lives, and if we can't fill it enough with being who we are and where we are with our lives, we'll find something to fill that void. Food, drugs, sex, money, power, religion, a hobby, music, a serious relationship, patriotism, anything really. As long as the meaning creates the illusion of order and justice out of the chaos of being, then so be it.

If God and Jesus have meaning to people, let them have their pacifier, because human skin is uncomfortable as hell to be in.

[edit on 29-2-2008 by indierockalien]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by indierockalien
Sorry, inevitable Bible Thumper. Your church lied to you. That's the truth.
Just...if you wanna grow spiritually, throw out Christianity, because you've gone as far as you can go. Praying to Jesus will affect your life just about as much as praying to vegetable.

It's not so much that the Church lied. It just provided a story that the average, uneducated person of the time could use. The Christian Gnostics had a somewhat similar notion of the universe and our reason for being. They had it figured out that the unimaginable, incalculable God With No Name was a different thing than the God of the Bible. Whereas Saklas or Yaldabaoth ("God") was a powerful yet flawed and very limited entity responsible for our miserable existence, the real God of everything was beyond us in every way, and prayer and sacrifices and all that stuff were just a waste of time. In the Gospel of Judas, Jesus even laughs at his disciples for praying.

Their only "solution" to this horrible existence we find ourselves in was "be kind to one another." Like being trapped in a raft and not tearing each other to pieces. It's better than nothing, I guess.

As for the ultimate unknowable thing out there, because it is unfathomable it essentially, for all practical purposes, doesn't exist. If you can't even comprehend it, then it is essentially non-existent.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join