It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killer Terrorist Robots Are Coming!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Will the future terrorist killbots look like this?
Courtesy: thechiefsource

Terrorist groups may soon deploy killer robots against unsuspecting civilians, a British researcher warned last Wednesday.

Another case of fiction becoming reality! Could killer robots become the weapon of choice of terrorists sooner than later? Yes! With the US leading the way with over 4000 robots operating in Iraq and Afghanistan can the terrorists be far behind? No!

Imagine a robot strapped with explosives programmed by terrorists to blow itself up in downtown Manhattan during Christmas shopping! Or a small robot toy plane programmed by terrorists to fly into the White house and explode.

Noel Sharkey, professor of artificial intelligence and robotics at the University of Sheffield said he believed falling costs would soon make robots a realistic option for extremist groups. "How long is it going to be before the terrorists get in on the act?

With the current prices of robot construction falling dramatically and the availability of ready-made components for the amateur market, it wouldn't require a lot of skill to make autonomous robot weapons."

Noel Sharkey has warned (again) of the coming danger to humanity posed by killer robots. But this time, rather than military ‘deathdroids’ or homicidal ‘mechanoid’ nurses Sharkey is flagging up the threat from ‘killbots’ directed by sinister militants or guerillas.

Combat Robots are integral to the $230 billion Future Combat Systems (FCS) Project of the US, which includes a massive plan to develop unmanned autonomous platforms that can strike from the air, under the sea and on land. It is reported that the US Congress has approved the plan for having a third of all combat vehicles unmanned by 2015!

Most robots currently in combat are extensions of human fighters who control the application of lethal force. But with malicious code written overseas, there is nowhere to run if they’ve been programmed to get you.

A US defense department advisory board has warned of the danger that American war robots scheduled for delivery within a decade might be riddled with malicious code. The kill machines will use software largely written overseas, and it is feared that sinister forces might meddle with it in production, thus gaining control of the future mechanoid military.

Finally, in the not too distant future, it may morph into a horrific man-versus-robot war..

[SNIP]

Refs:
www.reuters.com...
www.theregister.co.uk...
www.guardian.co.uk...
www.theregister.co.uk...

Mod edit: Removed unnecessarily graphic image

[edit on 28-2-2008 by Gemwolf]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I think this is a bit of fund raising for the robot department at that particular University. While it is, of course, a possibility, I would say it unlikely because of the religious aspect behind Jihad.

Though in saying that, if the PIRA/RIRA wanted to have another go...

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Hi Mike
cool post.

I agree that terrorist will make use of killer robots, millions are being pushed into research for Ai robots. Japan the leading researchers are not that far away...Why?

Recent advances in technology have made possible a new breed of products, personal robots, which serve people as skilled agents in tasks that are repetitive, difficult, unsafe, or unpleasant for humans. These robots can potentially help with tasks such as doing laundry or dishes, assisting in the care of the elderly, ensuring that children arrive at school safely, or acting as caretakers for individuals within a home or institution. Many of these tasks involve close social interaction between the robot and the people it serves.

This is not far off from being reality, agree that Man vs machine is closer then we know.

Know imagine 50 000 of these robots in your home cleaning your room, bringing a Beer for you! all of a sudden self destruct!
It is possible to do that once it get into the wrong hands.

A humanoid robot, designed to make human-like facial expressions in response to English and Japanese words as they are typed into an attached computer system, is rewired by a robot developer at a university robotics laboratory in Tokyo on May 15, 2007.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by GUNSINWAR
Know imagine these robots in your home bringing a Beer for you! all of a sudden self destruct!

Oh heck!! I didn't think of that!! How about....watching a cabaret sitting in a ring-side seat with hundreds of others when suddenly 'she' self destructs?? That would really screw up my evening, what? Lol!!

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
this seems a bit extreme dont u think i mean pepole will obviusely make saftey pracosuions and why a self distruct any way i mean its not like theyve put a 50 kiloton nuke in ever house hold robot (unless they whanted to destroy the world)

top topics

join