It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NFL scout camps are a joke, try watching film

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I can't help but notice all of the news reports lately how certain players have perfomed great at the combine, running a fast 40 or having a great set of reps on the 225 benchpress, and that their position in the draft in effected tremendously. Is it just me or is that the stupidest thing you have ever heard. Basing someones draft position on a combine? What about the rest of their career up until that point?? Does what they have done in college and high school have anything to do with it? You might as well base their draft position off of one game
Just another example of the media demonstrating their ignorance IMHO.

[edit on 27-2-2008 by kleverone]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I think I read or saw somewhere that there was 400 media credentials giving out for the combine, and there was only 300 athletes.

Agreed what a joke.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
if you guys watch the combine on NFL network you'd see that it's a chance to isolate them away from the team and see what they can do on their own so that teams can see how they would fit into their system or what they can add to the teams, when you watch a running back on film you are watching how he plays with that offensive line, he might have a stronger side on his line and that might not be his prefered side to run to, but they call the plays to that side so he has to run that way

also there might be a receiver who has a speed receiver opposite side in college, and he gets all the posession balls, the speed receiver gets the deep ones, they'd like to have him run and run some drills to see if he can get the deep ball too

in the bench press they look for a guy who is gonna struggle and fight for more reps, if someone does 36 reps and doesn't fight for the 37th that isn't good, but if a guy is the same size and gets 28 reps but the 27th and 28th rep were him fighting and really pushing to get them, it shows how much desire that player has

also 400 media people there? where did you read that?

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I agree Kleverone. Instinct is something that can only be derived from game film. Strength can be acquired fast in the pros, but developing football instinct on the pro level can take years if at all. For example, a college corner can jump through the roof and be as fast as lightning, but if he's not in the right position, those physical abilities mean nothing. Also, "heart" is something you can't learn, you just have to have it.

Football has just as much to do with angles, balance and anticipation as it does physical tools. When someone has relied more on their physical tools and less on instinct for so long, it's usually very hard for them to change. It can be done, but it's usually a lot more aggrevating for the player and the coaches.

Jimmy Johnson was a master at finding players under the radar.

Peace

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
OSSkyWatcher

Don't get me wrong, I think the combine is important to a degree, but to the base a players position in the draft based on that weekend is crazy!

[edit on 3-3-2008 by kleverone]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone
OSSkyWatcher

Don't get me wrong, I think the combine is important to a degree, but to the base a players position in the draft based on that weekend is crazy!

[edit on 3-3-2008 by kleverone]

it's the media guys saying that, you'll never hear top coaches say "he's run a 4.27, hes 1st round now"

and you can see the desire during the bench reps, robert gallery had like 26 or something and was the first tackle taken by the raiders, he didn't have a good bench press for his position at all, but what he did, he put effort into, he struggled and fought for his last few reps

this is the first combine since like....2002 or something i haven't been all over

btw if you play madden video games, their speed, agility, acceleration and strength ratings suck, for the last 5 or so years i have know every number almost every college kid put up at the combine, or his college's pro days

if you start looking back and looking at who was fast, and who was putting up numbers in the agility tests you'd see that the people at EA don't do much research

players do get slow with injuries and old age, but when you follow the combine and pro days for 5 years, and play madden.....it gets annoying when you spend money on something that clearly wasn't properly researched, and when you are 1 person, spending less than an hour each day and you have seen the combine numbers, and then the pro days ones...it's just crappy to spend money on something that wasn't given any research

there was an article in sports illustrated a while ago (maybe this past year) talking to the 3rd worst player in madden 08, some linebacker or something, he was a 3rd year player i think, but he said basically "i play against these guys each week, i know i am not the 3rd worst player in the NFL"

I ALMOST FORGOT

there is 1 football person who will see a 4.20 40 yard dash time and move that player up on their boards, AL DAVIS owner of the oakland raiders lol (this might explain why the raiders suck)

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
klever, sir. i think NFL teams put a lot of money and time into scouting players. players at the combine, they may have thick files on them. i think the combine will update injury rumors, and their star values, esp on how they perform before the camera and scouts, and amongst their peers. the combine last year is what separated vince young (3rd) and matt leinhart (10th); and why bush isn't picked 1st. but your right, it's not perfect and maybe unfair and inconsistent. NFL can do without the combine, the preseason, the fake injury updates, and emitt smiths' commentaries

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by beastamerica
NFL can do without the combine, the preseason, the fake injury updates, and emitt smiths' commentaries

That is a good one!

Thanks for all the input from all on this thread, I think I gained a slightly new perspective on the combine. I still thinks its importance is terribly overated, but several posts in here certainly have allowed me to gain a new respect for it.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
The combine is a GREAT tool for those that need to see the players in person.

NO WHERE ELSE will you have this many players together, it is a competaitve enviroment.

OSS you hit it right on the head about Al Davis, he always drafts some guy that runs a 4.2 in the 40, a couple years ago, he took some corner in the 1st round, that was projected in the 4th/5th before the combine...

All that being said, the combine should not be telivised, the is no reason to show it...

It has become more of a specital then an assesor of talent.

Plus, there is NO other football news now... so... well... were begining to become football deprived... so anything football becomes a big deal...

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Phillip Buchanon

Buchanon was selected with the 17th overall pick in the 2002 NFL Draft by the Oakland Raiders out of the University of Miami.

now...looking back at that draft miami was and still is a production line for NFL ready players, so it wasn't a bad gamble by davis, but it was a gamble

He was then traded to the Texans in the 2005 off-season. The Texans released him on October 16, 2006. Buchanon was signed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on October 17, 2006.

lol guess davis is a gambling man

Darren McFadden is a good example of someone who needs the combine, they see his year, they see him on film, but when he runs a 4.33 40 yard dash he is then able to show the NFL "hey guys, i can run too, i have another gear"

i think they were comparing him to tony dorsett actually

also when a player looks fast, and then can prove he is fast that helps

also with the linemen, if you are overweight and known for that, if you show up to the combine carrying less weight, putting up quicker numbers than expected, you have shown them you are a professional, you are ready to work and be serious, some guys NEED the combine for various reasons

but they NFL network should air a program tell you what to look for in positional drills that they show, and they should publicize the 10 yard dash for linemen (300+ pounders can run 1.68 10 yard dash times, those big boys can move!)

Robert Gallery - Iowa 1.68

now this should be as publicized as any 40 yard dash, when gallery ran this he was 6'7" 300(give or take) pounds, that's 10 yards, 30 feet!! in 1.68 seconds

force is acceleration times mass

well 300 pounds running 30 feet in 1.68 seconds, that boy is gonna have some power when he goes to block you'd hope

[edit on 9-3-2008 by OSSkyWatcher]

howie longs son is at the combine, he can move well, side to side, backwards, around cones, but you'll probably only see him running cone drills and other stuff once on the defensive linemens day at the combine

but it shows that he is mobile and comfortable running around, dropping into coverage if they want him to

but stuff like that is just as important as a 40, yet you won't see it 3 times a day on the NFL network

[edit on 9-3-2008 by OSSkyWatcher]

top topics

join