It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proof if there's GOD?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Surely you're not using Pascals Wager as a reason to believe? If your god is "all knowing" don't you think he'd realize your faith is a lie? Something tells me he wouldn't be too happy about that.

How do you figure that my faith is a lie laughable? You are getting dangerously close to breaking some site rules here if not already. I don't appreciate that comment at all and will not further communicate with you if this is your method of communicating.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Edit :I am dum!

[edit on 28-2-2008 by depth om]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
If you're looking for an image of God you wont find it here. The eyes aren't the only things that see.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Dear beatamerica...

do you love your mom? dad? wife or girlfriend? child perhaps???

PROVE IT...

you cant...

nuff said

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
It seems that those who demand proof (some respectfully request proof) are in a difficult loop. On one hand they stand up in assurance that they do not believe in God, and prepare answers to any of the Christian responses. On the other hand they keep coming back for more. Is it that they are trying to re-convince themselves that what they believe is true and correct? For as long as they continue to find no proof, they can rest in their decision that God does not exist. The problem is that the lack of evidence does not make a thing untrue.

What is someone found the video that has been requested by this thread. Does the poster want us to believe that at that point that they would then throw up their hands and laugh saying “you guys win!” Okay God, I’m a sinner, I need your forgiveness, I want an eternity with you.

God does not give proof for this very reason. He will not be tested by one or all of those who demand proof, it would be a never ending task of miracle for him, miracle for her, that ones been done, gotta have a new miracle for this one because he won’t believe that one…

He has made his offer plainly known.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice

Surely you're not using Pascals Wager as a reason to believe? If your god is "all knowing" don't you think he'd realize your faith is a lie? Something tells me he wouldn't be too happy about that.

How do you figure that my faith is a lie laughable? You are getting dangerously close to breaking some site rules here if not already. I don't appreciate that comment at all and will not further communicate with you if this is your method of communicating.

You stated it was a gamble your not willing to take.....what does that state? You shouldn't even have to say that if you truly believe.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Even through his miracles people still refused to believe.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice
Even through his miracles people still refused to believe.

Hi, just wondered what miracles these were and is there any documented evidence/proof of these miracles?

I only ask as the last time I asked a friend of mine about it I was told that 'god should not be asked to prove anything, neither should he be tested in any way'. Which to me sounds like a failsafe way of having a good reason never to be able to prove god exists!

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Jimbowsk

You are a miracle. You're alive. What is life?

Drs and Scientists can't answer that one.

What is the measurable difference when a man dies? he weighs the same...

so what happened? he lost his life... hmmmmm

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

I'm not going to argue for or against the existence of God. However, I don't believe that evolution refutes the existence of god. Those who don't understand the concept of evolution need to read up on it more because at this point, it's basically scientifically proven fact.

So, yes, I have no problem believing my ancestors are protozoa or "slimy fish." Does that make me any less today? NO. It makes us more because we are able to contemplate our own existence.

"I think therefore I am."

By the way, it is impossible to be infallible because right and wrong are opinions and are not definite.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bigwhammy
reply to post by Jimbowsk

You are a miracle. You're alive. What is life?

Drs and Scientists can't answer that one.

What is the measurable difference when a man dies? he weighs the same...

so what happened? he lost his life... hmmmmm

Computers don't weigh more when their hard drive's are full either.

[edit on 28-2-2008 by bkcrt]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by bkcrt

that's a great point!!! It's nice to have believers like you around!

Because whats on a hard drive? Data -- Information -- where does dat come from??

An intelligent source!

Thanks for demonstrating my point for me!

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by bkcrt

Oho! This here is something that I've been saying for years. There is no right or wrong. Just points of view.

To the point of view of the Romans feeding christians to the lions. This wasn't a bad thing. It was a form of entertainment.
To our point of view it's barbaric.

but this sort of thing is the subject of another conversation.

and probably my reply about how creationism and evolution are pretty much one in the same.
There is no difference really.

and again i'll state that belief in god depends on your point of view.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
wow! thank you all for the reactions and the replies, esp. the personal ones. i posted this "naive" question not because i'm questioning anyone's faith, or the existence of GOD. maybe i am just playing devil's advocate, maybe i just wanted people to think and rethink their accepted beliefs and principle. i never intended to be blasphemous OMG! i learned a lot of things reading all of your replies and some of them touched me in a way. and for those atheists that U2U me for a job well done, that was not my intention you silly bunnies. i apologize for the "negativity" my thread inflicted to those offended. it's my turn to be personal here.
i was born roman catholic. i was an altar boy. thought about being a priest but i didn't "hear the calling", and i chased too much skirts to be serious about it. migrated to US in my teens, english is my 3rd language, my accent's cute enough to intrigue girls and this is an apology for being "maybe misunderstood" sometimes. i still pray every night and every before meal and everytime the Lakers have a worthy opponent. i'm a nursing-pre med student and i was planning to "heal" people someday and get "thank you's" for payment. i'm not a bad person.
i really wanted my thread to include discussions about the authenticity of miracles, exorcisms or divine interventions. i know there's no youtube BC, so we won't see how Jesus partied by turning those water into wine. 1 quick reply to my OP is the vatican's accepted policy on exorcism. they believed there's evil spirits out there that can be fought by special forces priests. so the vatican is corroborating the devil's existence, and a greater Power that can beat this devil's behind. lots of emily roses out there. that's 1 of the things i wanted to see here. that's why the shroud of turin is a popular board discussion. it's an attempt to defy the mysticism of the church. that's why God is not popping up everytime our faith waver. no mysticism is bad PR, it will make religion trivial. Faith will be rewarded.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by theendisnear69
There has to be something out there but whatever it is it definitley is trying to hide.

Fear, guilt, shame and self-loathing are the typical motives for hiding. I wonder what tinkerbell did to make her cower so?

BOO!!

[edit on 28-2-2008 by Lilitu]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by beastamerica

That's an interesting perspective. You have to realize that you need to explicitly state your intentions and perhaps do a little research before you start a thread if you want to steer the discussion into a productive direction.

This board is full of young wanna be atheists, who saw the movie zeitgeist and think it has some scholastic merit. Hopefully they'll read a book one day. If you start thread about God you're going to get a crowd who thinks they have proof Jesus was Horus and other ludicrous crap like that. Anyhow, the topic of evil spirits is interesting to me but maybe start another thread and research it a bit first. Use evidence from ancient texts and propose a demonic conspiracy--- then you got a good thread! I have quite a bit of scriptural info on that topic.

<

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
Here's my standard reply:

I've never seen or heard of anyone who has been able to come up with a good, coherent definition of "God" that doesn't contain within it its own fundamentally negating paradoxes or contradictions.

though I do not agree with your stance on the existence of a God, I must say that was quite well put ... and accurate. Even my definition is contradictory:

the entity that created the universe.

and to that you must ask, "who or what created that entity?"

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by depth om
If you're looking for an image of God you wont find it here. The eyes aren't the only things that see.

I would say the same thing. But maybe to many more words and not as eloquent.

God is not even something that can be thought. You can feel God. Love is the most accurate I have found for any description. But any description is only a description.

Poets seem to be better at describing such things. Scientists are like Priests of any religion. All believe only within a strata of culture, language and symbol. I suspect no way is "thee" way. All ways is the way.

Binding force of Atoms? Zeropoint, Time/space, Quantum infinite potential? All are just descriptions in the end. Symbols of something that cannot be described. The more we try and define, the further we wander from any valid sense.

Stories in biblical text talk of the "experience" of God, but not God him/her/itself. We all have our stories. It is more in "how" we say what God is than "what" we say God is. Any path up a mountain will lead to the top.

Some religious thought and doctrine forbid such an assumption that God can be described. Call it a sin to try. Even to mention a name for God, as such a linear and limited form of identification that gives an impression God can be even referenced in finite reality. I see that point, but have another.

(This is paraphrased as it is a 30 year old memory)

A Zen Scholar D.T. Suzuki in a lecture was questioned on his points about his citing that any discussion about the ultimate question was wrong, and it was pointed out that because he himself was discussing this, if he would be wrong also. He replied that was correct, and that he would surly burn in hell for this, but added this gem quote;

"It is improper to speak of it, but misleading not to."

ZG

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
ttp://members.aol.com/SolistAvadar/SolistGlossary.htm#ISIS

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

yeah BIG, i've got a lot (hopefully worthy) topics in my head. maybe i wanted my thread to start this way, sorta like a feel for things, kinda like a small fire.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join