It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proof if there's GOD?

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I don't believe anyone is trying to disprove god, but simply waiting for evidence of it's existence. I don't even see how it would be possible to prove or disprove.

As to science's existence, it is simply the concept of observing materials and events, and predicting what will be observed and why. I believe, on occasion, I try to do this, so I think it exists. I'm wrong a lot, but that's part of science too, recognizing error. If it does not exist, that would mean either the observer is not real or the object being observed is not real. In either case that would mean everything is simply an illusion so I would just lay down and wait for the end because I don't care to live an illusion. I'm not lying down yet.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by finnegan

it is simply the concept of observing materials and events, and predicting what will be observed and why

It exists.
Too many on both sides of the debate pretend it is purely an atheistic tool which is dead wrong.

I love science.
But I know its limitations. As many don't seem to.
And I have been screaming those limitations again and again.

Science is NOT the thing of atheism.
As you insinuate.

If you choose to believe in only physical things that is fine.
But science cannot touch ANYTHING that is beyond our 5 senses.
And I am tired of people pretending it does.

[edit on 22-3-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by WraothAscendantScience is NOT the thing of atheism.
As you insinuate.

You are correct, science is available for everyone to use. I don't know where I insinuated it should only be used by atheists.

If you choose to believe in only physical things that is fine.

I am willing to look at any evidence and in fact constructed a theory earlier based entirely on evidence from peoples thoughts.

But science cannot touch ANYTHING that is beyond our 5 senses.
And I am tired of people pretending it does.

You seem to be insinuating here that science can not be used to prove god.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
saying ¨prove to me god exists¨ is like saying ¨prove to me you have a brain¨

we know we have some sort of thing that helps us to think and to feel but how is that provable if you have never seen in, i mean how do you know? we might have seen other´s brains, or MRI images of your brain, but how do you really know you have one?

does one really need to slice open your head and show you your brain so that you can touch and feel it in order to know you have one?

the arguement is ridiculas (sp?).

there is plenty of evidence that there is a higher power at work. what makes it difficult for some to see that is because of questions like ïf there is a god, why is there suffering?¨

scientifically, there is plenty of evidence that there is a creator, but just like any evidence that can be raised in court, some try to bring in ¨reasonable doubt¨ which is fine, everyone trys to figure things out in thier own way.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by miriam0566

Miriam, it's 'Argument' and correct spelling is 'ridiculous', since you asked.

How do you have proof we have a brain? Was that a serious question??

"Proof if there's GOD?" Nope, no proof. Only opinion, and nothing will ever change the minds of those who are dead-set to believe as they wish, pro or con.

BUT, that's the great thing about it...you are able to believe what you want, and that is a great thing.

Many will sheepishly believe, and hang on to whatever they are told...but some others will seek greater knowledge, a truer knowledge. When people seek greater knowledge that conflicts with the dogma of those who try to stay in power, then it threatens those in power, and they try to stifle knowledge. It is an age-old practice.......

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by miriam0566

Miriam, it's 'Argument' and correct spelling is 'ridiculous', since you asked.

How do you have proof we have a brain? Was that a serious question??

"Proof if there's GOD?" Nope, no proof. Only opinion, and nothing will ever change the minds of those who are dead-set to believe as they wish, pro or con.

BUT, that's the great thing about it...you are able to believe what you want, and that is a great thing.

Many will sheepishly believe, and hang on to whatever they are told...but some others will seek greater knowledge, a truer knowledge. When people seek greater knowledge that conflicts with the dogma of those who try to stay in power, then it threatens those in power, and they try to stifle knowledge. It is an age-old practice.......

thank you for the correction, english is a pain to spell.

im not sure i can relate to what you are saying. the adjectives you use show bias for something that supposedly has no evidence. one cannot prove god doesn´t exist.

simple wieghing of pros and cons. some see the big bang as evidence god created the universe, some dont and say its just a different part of the cycle of the universe.

some say life is proof of god´s exist, some say no and that it was evolution.

so in a way your right, people will believe one way or another.

but i think if you put alot of things together, it becomes more that coincidence. the seeming creation of the universe plus the seemingly spontanious spawning of live plus the incredible advancement of the human mind, plus prophecy makes the evidence lean more towards there is a god. because if not flankly thats an unfathomable amount of luck then

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   

simple wieghing of pros and cons. some see the big bang as evidence god created the universe, some dont and say its just a different part of the cycle of the universe.

The big bang is a theory propsed by the enemy of creationism... modern science. If creationists have a better understanding of it, perhaps they can explain how it happened.

Life is as much a proof of god as proof of teleportation from an alternate dimension or proof of quantum mechanical spontaneous biological materialization or proof of bacteria hitching a ride on alien space probes or proof of the gravitational pull of the moon sucking the life out of the hollow part of the Earth or proof of electromagnetic entities traversing to Earth along the rays of the sun.

but i think if you put alot of things together, it becomes more that coincidence. the seeming creation of the universe plus the seemingly spontanious spawning of live plus the incredible advancement of the human mind, plus prophecy makes the evidence lean more towards there is a god. because if not flankly thats an unfathomable amount of luck then
So you would not consider yourself lucky to have a god.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
"It's better to live as though there were a God and find out there isn't one than the other way around!"
- Albert Einstein

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MatrixProphet
"It's better to live as though there were a God and find out there isn't one than the other way around!"
- Albert Einstein

What if worshipping a make-believe god IS false idol worshipping? What if organized religion is Satan's scam to dup the gullible masses and cause them to worship a lie and go to hell?

Personally, it think it wiser and morally safer to simply live an honest truthful life and wait and see, and NOT lie and play make-believe I know some false contrived god.

If one must go to hell for honesty and integrity and truth, then that's where I would want to go anyhow instead of some heaven filled with a bunch of make-believing liars.

Sorry, but if some deity wants me to worship the real deal, then I must first meet this real deal. I'm taking no chances that all those religious folks might be lying and worshipping a mere belief (a.k.a. false idol).

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

Where is the connection to religion & God in my quote? I am dead set against religion. But the world of information and mystery opens up a great deal, if I believe in God. I do not connect the two but I can appreciate your confusion! I think that religion narrows mankind's thinking but the belief in God broadens the mind. It is a matter of perspective and abstract reasoning.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
“I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it.”

A Einstein

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MatrixProphet

Where is the connection to religion & God in my quote?

Are you asking me? I wouldn't know. Maybe someone else can answer that for you.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I have no way to prove there is a God, and if I did the people who don't believe in God never will. There's no amount of proof that will change their minds. This question is for yourself and nobody else. It's up to the individual to prove to them selfs that there is or isn't a God.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
asking for proof of god is like asking for proof of love. love can't be proven of itself, it is only felt and manifests itself indirectly, proving its reality. or if you prefer, it is like hate in the same way. these are two of the most powerful forces known to man yet neither can be quantified in and of itself.

if you require proof of god you must also require proof of love and hate, you must be able to quantify it of itself. if you cannot, you must admit that god exists, in at least the same respect as love or hate, and so does exist and is real.

if you do not, scientifically you are in error, so you are outside of science and your lack of belief in god becomes faith and dogma.

is there an error in my argument?

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Yes, it's very introspective.

You have to look deep inside yourself and determine whether that love you feel is for a friend or family member or if it's for an imaginary superbeing which somebody told you actually exists somewhere.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
There's no amount of proof that will change their minds.

One one hand, how can anyone deny proof? You bring me a deity that can perform omnipotent magic tricks and I'd have to acknowledge that proof. Yet on the other hand, if we are living in a matrix, even some deity's matrix, then any and all illusionary matrix/holodeck evidence and proof would be suspect and thus inconclusive. In any case, a "belief" is not proof or the truth ~ it's playing make believe. And I don't do make believe (playing make-believe always gets me into trouble, ha).

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
duplicate deleted ~ sorry. Why does that happen sometimes?

[edit on 29-3-2008 by Divinorumus]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by miriam0566

so in a way your right, people will believe one way or another.

To advocate the existance of God, by bringing up the big bang theory is assuming that every star and planetary system evolved from of a cataclysmic detonation of a single mass.

What's to say that the order of the universe didn't begin stars, with rotating spherical rock masses being drawn in by gravitational shifts. Eruptions on these planets, and supernovae of their stars resulting in countless combinations orbital configurations. We live in a tiny pocket of the universe and can't even begin to imagine what exists billions of lightyears in any given trajectory.

Our standard of living, the moral code everyone follows, is a law we need to follow on earth. If we were to venture past the Oort Cloud, and take these values to another civilization, we'd entice a society with higher technology to follow us back here and take over.. to set us straight as we had originally intended toward them.

There is a God, and I feel there's a reason behind our technology not allowing us to venture outside of our yard. We wouldn't stand a chance.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by finnegan

i'm not sure what your point is, but i'll try to answer you.

the feeling of love is separate from the person you feel it for, otherwise love would die with the people we love or it would have to be given to us by that person, neither is true, it just manifests itself.

also love of god is not particularly required for his existence, nor is knowledge of god, nor understanding. it's just a universal truth. have you ever heard of a people or culture that didn't believe the supernatural existed?

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   

I guess the only proof would be to see and talk to him. I was just trying to say that me or anyone could sit all day and say everything there is to try to prove there is a God but those who don't believe will never believe us. Just like the only way Nasa can prove to me that they went to the moon was if I hopped on a rocket and landed there myself and seen everything they left behind. I think there's intelligent design going on here but I don't want to debate that. It's just my own personal opinion.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20 >>

join