It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia may support Iran sanctions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Russia may support Iran sanctions

news.bbc.co.uk

Russia has said that it may support a new set of UN sanctions against Iran if it does not stop work that may lead to the creation of nuclear weapons.
Western powers suspect Iran of developing weapons, and want it be subjected to sanctions in addition to those imposed in 2006 and 2007.

Correspondents say Russia has until recently been reluctant to impose further sanctions.

Iran denies it has a secret nuclear weapons programme
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.radionetherlands.nl
africa.reuters.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Iran Nuke Program

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
If you read the story quoted it goes on to say the Russia has had long business ties with Iran in energy. So if Russia is willing to begin imposing the sanctions it is a big deal. Also confirms to a greater degree that Iran is working on nuclear weapons.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-2-2008 by RedGolem]

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I also wanted to note this paragraph from the original source.

Russia's growing ties to Iran's energy industry have made it reluctant to impose more sanctions. Russia is helping to build a nuclear plant in Bushehr, Iran. It has also just finished delivering nuclear fuel to this plant under a $1bn (£501m) contract. Russian gas monopoly Gazprom is also working to develop Iranian gas fields.
bbc

So Russia has a one billion contract, and they may impose sanctions. This is a big deal.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Perhaps it was something that Iran said that pissed off Russia. Who knows?

Perhaps in return for sanctions, the U.S. could revoked the recognition of Kosovo as a independent country. Behind the scenes.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
sure all that has to happen is something that appears the Kosovo government supports such as hiding terrorists or come up with some genocide claims etc or some corruption allegations the US withdraws the current recognition for the sitting Kosovo government and bingo you got your conspiracy confirmed.

[edit on 27-2-2008 by robertfenix]

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Exactly my suspicions.
Russia would want something in return, and Kosovo is the obvious subject that springs to mind.

Maybe Russia is also getting a bit nervy about having such a reactionary regime near it's borders with nuclear capability. (They are a damn sight closer to Iran than either the UK or US).

It's one thing a country having nuclear energy, but nuclear weponry.

After all the posturing and manouvering of The Cold War, Russia and NATO know just how far they can push each other.
Put an unknown like Iran into the melting pot, well, who knows where that could lead us?

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

Also confirms to a greater degree that Iran is working on nuclear weapons.

I'm not so sure it "confirms" but does definately add to the suspisions. And yes. It is big news. It can put Russia into a bit of a predicament as well.
Until recently Russia was strongly opposed to the US going into Iran over this alleged issue but now seems, to a certain extent, to support the US. If they do side with them on this issue What do they do about Serbia.
Allies on one front but enemies on another....World politics is a tricky game.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

i dont get russia and how it plays this game
on one hand it threatens its neigbours, new nukes and so on, re-aimiming baalistic missiles and other petty threats.

on the other hand it builds and supplies nuclear facilities to Iran
which is supposidly one of its allies.

and on the third hand it supports sanctions aginst Iran?

if Russia doesnt feel secure with Iran why continue to build/work on the reactors by supplying fuel.
also why push an allie further away by acting against it?
and do something that pleases bush and co who are pushing the sanctions.

i know lots of hands
but russia confuse me alot.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT

Allies on one front but enemies on another....World politics is a tricky game.

This is the very nature of world politics think of it as a giant chess game where there are no real substantial enemies. This chess board has many avenues of play but every space is already occupied, to make a move to any new space you have to abandon a current space under your nations control. Right or wrong to make any gain there is always a sacrifice.

For each space occupied by an opponent or rival you must either agree or dis agree with the action they took. The total of all the agreements and disagreements gives you your friendship and co-operation probability. From which you can predict how your rival will view similar moves of the same kind regarding your foreign policy regarding other Nations.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Yes world politics is confusing. I will not try to understand all of it, or even a lot of it for that matter.
I also think Russia will be getting something in return. The Kosovo situation is one possibility. The missile defence shield is another.

top topics

join