It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to deploy 11 new Topol-M ICBMs in 2008

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Russia to deploy 11 new Topol-M ICBMs in 2008

en.rian.ru

MOSCOW, February 27 (RIA Novosti) - Russia's Strategic Missile Forces (SMF) will deploy 11 new silo and mobile-launched Topol-M intercontinental ballistic missiles in 2008, the SMF commander said on Wednesday.

Gen. Nikolai Solovtsov said the weapons would be deployed in the European part of Russia adding, "the SMF will receive 11 up-to-date Topol-M ICBMs in two versions [silo and mobile-launched]."

The missile (NATO reporting name SS-27), with a range of about 7,000 miles (11,000 kms), is said to be immune to any current and future U.S. ABM defense. It is capable of making evasive maneuvers to avoid a kill using terminal phase interceptors, and carries targeting countermeasures and decoys.

It is also shielded against radiation, electromagnetic pulse, nuclear blasts, and is designed to survive a hit from any form of laser technology.

Gen. Solovtsov earlier said that Topol-M systems would be equipped with multiple independently targetable reentry vehicles (MIRV) in the next two or three years.

Russia, which now operates around 50 Topol-Ms, resumed strategic bomber patrol flights over the Pacific, Atlantic, and Arctic oceans last August, following an order signed by President Putin.

In a speech on February 8, Putin blamed the West for unleashing a new international arms race.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Looks like Putin wasn't kidding around when he said the arms race was back on...These have a rance of 7,000 miles, and are SHIELDED against EMPs, Radiation, and lasers. They claim they are immune to any ABM defense we have.

How comforting...More nukes now being aimed at us.

en.rian.ru
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

It is also shielded against radiation, electromagnetic pulse, nuclear blasts, and is designed to survive a hit from any form of laser technology.

The above quote reads like an 8 year old bickering on the playground saying his whatever is made of kryptonite so nay nay you can't hurt me..

the casing and construction of this super ICBM must be made out of moon rocks to withstand all the above as well as launching ever sort of counter threat device I am shocked it did not say somewhere can be steered by UHF, Microwave or through a special designed Nokia 601i... Which would be equally believable as the above quote...

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by robertfenix

Some journalists don't know what they are saying. For example I saw a caption of a Bradley fighting vehicle that a photographer for a news organization mistaken it as a tank just cause it has tracks and a turret with a gun sticking out.

new topics

top topics

join