It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

C-130 AWACS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I just saw a c-130 fly over, and it had a AWACS style radar thing on top. I didn't know this plane existed, but I just saw one. It flew over my house at low enough altitude that I could clearly see the radar "dome" spinning.

What is the designation of this plane? I can't find a picture of one anywhere.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
If your plane truly exists it will be in this document here on the GS site. I'll take a look but I never recall seeing what you describe though I have seen the TALON and Broadcasting variants of the 130.

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Is this NOT what you saw?

This was taken from my house.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
You may have seen a Navy E2C "Hawkeye". From the right angle and distance it might be mistaken for a C130 airframe.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Wow, I found it. I just can't find any information on it.

www.theaviationzone.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by hoovy

aeroweb.brooklyn.cuny.edu...

412th Test Wing, Space Command, Edwards AFB, CA. Originally delivered to US Coast Guard in 1992 as EC-130V 1721, used as long range surveillance platform (drug interdiction). Transferred to USAF in 1995 and operated by Space Command in support of test programs

www.airliners.net...

might even be the same aircraft as you linked (87-0157)

[edit on 27/2/08 by Harlequin]

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

That was pretty close, but it had an non-painted paint job, plain aluminum with USAF markings.

It had the standard AWACS radar device, with the black line through the middle, and it was spinning as they normally do. It was certainly a c-130, I have seen hundreds of them. Holloman AFB is within 60 miles of my house, as well as White Sands Missile Range, and Ft. Bliss.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Nope that is the standard old school 707 style awacs.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Ok, now I see, it was an "NC-130H" Thanks guys for finding what I was looking for.

Next question, what the heck was it doing over Las Cruces NM this afternoon?

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH

It is listed in the earlier list as well from GS that I posted. Just was a matter of time to find that image good hunting by the way guys. Its listed under the space and missile command section. As for what it was doing over Las Cruces NM, well you said yourself its right near white sands and the other testing ranges and the fact that it is listed as a test vehicle for missile detection etc it would be a good place to test it. Also it sound like there was or is 5 test aircraft planed as of 2002. I'm not sure on where the program is at now but it stands to reason that if its going well you may have seen a NC-130H with out its paint job during testing of some sort.

[edit on 28-2-2008 by Canada_EH]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   

The NC-130H which was originally stationed at Edwards AFB was chosen as the Radar Modernization Program testbed. Originally built for the war on drugs by the U.S. Coast Guard, it was transferred to the USAF in 1993 to be a test bed aircraft. The U.S. Navy, PMA-231 proposes to take possession of the aircraft for three years to accomplish their required tests, then return it to the USAF with the new AEW system intact.

force.navair.navy.mil...

The PMA-231 was a radar and tracking development project for the upgraded E-2C version in 93 so that at least is a bit of the story why and what the plane was doing around that time.

top topics

join