It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ElBaradei urges US, Russia to lead global nuclear disarmament

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

ElBaradei urges US, Russia to lead global nuclear disarmament

www.smartmoney.com

OSLO (AP)--U.N. nuclear chief Mohamed ElBaradei Tuesday urged the U.S. and Russia to reduce their nuclear arsenals and lead the way toward a world free of atomic weapons.

"The risk of accident or miscalculation would be dramatically lowered if weapons were taken off the Cold War hair-trigger alert," he said.

Former U.S. Secretary of State George Shultz [...] were also attending..."

"We cannot wait for a nuclear Pearl Harbor," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-2-2008 by v01i0]

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
How polite from ElBaradei to equally remember to bark toward his own employers, but in my opinion he could've listed few other countries to that list as well.

www.smartmoney.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
We would all love to see the US and Russia disarm their ability to kill the entire planet... unfortunately, they are like children with a new toy. Try to take it away, and they scream bloody murder.

Unfortunately, it will come down to a nuclear war before anyone in the chain of command actually decides that maybe these new toys aren't such a good thing.

A child will only stop tugging on the dogs fur when the dog finally bites.

Some nations have taken quite the leap. Canada for example has completed a total nuclear disarmament. There isn't a single Canadian nuclear missile left. And, luckily for us, the invention of the CANDU reactor allows us to use that nuclear material in a productive fashion.

join