It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: Outbreak of Earthquakes

page: 1/
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Is this normal? I have never heard of so many quakes happening in the same day. All the links below are to recent quake data.

Syria
Coast of Portugal
Coast of Greece
Iran(again)
United Kingdom
California
California

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
The swarm of quakes down on the MexiCali border has my attention at the moment. Keep digging. Earthquakes are fascinating. I spent half the day learning about pole shifts. It's all good.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Birth pangs? Is that what they're called? We are in the end times, so it seems. (I hope I'm not bumming anyone out.)

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
New quake reported. 3.0 in Turkey.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
It's not as though they are all along one single plate or fault line, my best guess would be that...

The Earth has gas!

Wind.

Mother Earth is floating air biscuits.

Interesting times people.

MonKey

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
The quake in England is now being reported as three seperate quakes. Two measuring 4.7, the other 4.9.

The quake off the coast of Greece is now being reported as two seperate quakes.

EDIT to add: Now adjusted to 5.3 in England.

[edit on 2/26/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
Is this normal?

Yep... Very normal to have this many (and lots more) earthquakes in a day.

Source

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Here's a link to the USGS earthquake site:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Looking over the number of occurences as well as where the local fault lines are, I think that all but the UK quake are normal and commonplace.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

I watch a disaster information service and they NEVER report the average of three or four quakes a day over 5.0. I wonder why they bother to report the ones they do.

Thanks for the post though. Now I can go to bed soon.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Haha... No problem

Assuming you are watching one of those world maps with icons tracking earthquakes, volcanoes, bio-hazards, plane crashes, etc?

I think those sites are intended to freak people out with all the hazard icons. Just a thought.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Yup, it's one of those maps.

A few more 4 pointers in Syria and Turkey BTW.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Another little one in Alaska this time.

AND another one off Portugal. Maybe I just never really paid attention. Maybe because someone told me once before that little earthquakes happen all the time.

[edit on 2/27/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Another one just inland on the souther coast of Spain, east of Gibralter.

Another one to the west of Gibralter, in the ocean off the coast of Portugal.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Here's a cool link with the historic seismicity plotted on a chart with magnitudes for England and vicinity. Historic UK Seismicity USGS link

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I wonder how often there have been 3 or more quakes over 5.0 within a couple of days in different parts of the world? I'm not sure how much damage a quake of that size would do to a city. Lots of variables. California will probably get a lot bigger one in a couple of years.

This reminds me of an experiment I will try again. I wonder if you live on the San Andreas fault if the ground moves quite often?

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
The most interesting aspect of these quakes to me is the humming noise that people in the UK are reporting. That just seems odd to me and reminds me of something out of "The Langoliers" by Stephen King.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
i live on the outskirts of london, and i felt it, around 1am, it went on for about 10 seconds and there was a faint humming noise with it. my first quake, and it puzzled me at the time to no end.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Power or phone lines humming because of the frequency or vibration?
They sometimes do this if the wind is strong enough too - like a guitar string?

I remember hearing it during the birmingham earthquake a few years back.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
does the humming usually happen with earthquakes in built up areas?

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Just over a year ago I was listening to NPR when the latest edition of SoundClips came on. This segment is one of my favourites considering I work in the business of sound, so I naturally turned it up. What I heard simply blew me away!

It was a seismographic recording of the Earth taken from multiple locations around the world simultaneously. They had to speed up the recording to be able to hear all of the subsonic sounds...you can hear waves breaking on beaches all around the world...and earthquakes going off like popcorn!

"Hearing Earth: Rumblings of a Complex Planet" listen to the piece here it's just under 3 mintes long.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join