It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bomb Scare in Utah Capital Building

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
SALT LAKE CITY -- A "credible" bomb threat caused the evacuation of the Utah State Capital building today. After reviewing a phoned-in bomb threat, Utah State Highway Patrol deemed the threat credible and called for the immediate evacuation of the building.

www.cnn.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">www.CNN.com Workers and lawmakers evacuated immediately, and bomb units are searching now. Patrol troopers wearing bulletproof vests and carrying guns were preparing to enter the Capitol at about 8:50 a.m. An incident management truck with men dressed in military-like fatigues lined the outside of the structure. (developing) [Edited on 18-2-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I've always thought these "credible bomb threats" were trail runs made by someone watching how they react.
Wouldn't it make sense to do this? A little "reconnoiter"

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Generally, the person planting the bomb isn't going to call in a bomb threat unless they want the bomb to cause only property damage.

It would be interesting to see statistics on "credible bomb threats" vs. actual bombs found.

nsi.org...

Bomb threats are delivered in a variety of ways. The majority of threats are called in to the target. Occasionally these calls are through a third party. Sometimes a threat is communicated in writing or by a recording. Two logical explanations for reporting a bomb threat are:

1. The caller has definite knowledge or believes that an explosive or incendiary bomb has been or will be placed and he/she wants to minimize personal injury or property damage. The caller may be the person who placed the device or someone who has become aware of such information.

2. The caller wants to create an atmosphere of anxiety and panic which will, in turn, result in a disruption of the normal activities at the facility where the device is purportedly placed. Whatever the reason for the report, there will certainly be a reaction to it. Through proper planning, the wide variety of potentially uncontrollable reactions can be greatly reduced.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm
I've always thought these "credible bomb threats" were trail runs made by someone watching how they react.
Wouldn't it make sense to do this? A little "reconnoiter"

I wouldnt think it would be too effective because holes in the security could be found and fixed, especially if the scare gets alot of public attention. Recon would be better carried out quiety by "tourists" with camcorders and digital cameras, rather than creating a huge mess.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Since legislation is in session the most likely culprit is some religious wacko or corporate interest who has an issue with the state. There are large groups of both here.

But there's also the possibility the Israeli 'al-Qaeda' is planning another attack like the one aborted in Mexico City. Fortunately swarthy folk will find it difficult to go unnoticed in this part of the world.

[Edited on 18-2-2004 by Condorcet]

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
it could have to do with the fuss over the UTOPIA project.

www.dslreports.com...

apparantly QWEST communication wants to destroy this wonderful idea because of too much "competition".

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Grommer,

Interesting. Is that the community owned fiber-optic network that started out in Springville and Provo? I knew the Evil Overlords would have to put the kabosh on this community initiative!

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
That would be the one. They've had great success so far in those towns and want to make it a statewide thing. But of course the Telco's are gonna step in and mess that all up. It angers me to no end, I've already contacted my representatives via fax and email to complain about this. I guess we'll see who's best interests these people have in mind.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Sounds to me like an exercise to see how people react in this instance. I'm not saying it was planned from somewhere inside our government but it's possible.

new topics

top topics

join