It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Blackout in Florida - Orlando to Miami

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by harddrive21

So 1 storm can do this? Not Katrina or Wilma or any other hurricane, but a winter storm? Whats the deal? I don't buy what they are selling.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Man, I remember that night... we had bad winds here in Atlanta. The entire highway was covered with debris the next day. Sound barriers along the highway had been broken down by falling trees.

Not to mention, we had 93,000 people without power. It happens alot.. I don't know what's so unbelievable about it.

Spring is definitely coming in like a lion this year.

[edit on 29-2-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

I grew up in a suburb of NYC and live now in, well, nowhere Michigan. Storms, Noreasters and other bad storms rolled over me in my lifetime, and in the end, power outages were short. When Gloria steamrolled Long Island in 86 we lost power for 1 day. When a tornado crashed in Fenton, MI last year power was out for 2 days. So I guess I get surprised easily when a winter storm rolls through Florida and knocks off half the state.
It showed how fragile our infrastructure really is. One substation issue knocked offline a Nuke plant...which stopped power coming in from the North (Georgia) - causing this outage. Substations go out occasionally, but this "magic" substation knocked out a big chunk.
I would have believed the story if it was "Nuke Plant Goes Down For Maintenance - Florida Darkened By Accident" instead of "Fire at 1 Substation Darkens Florida".
Just my 0.02...

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Well - will wonders never cease.

Human Error is the Current Cause

I am speechless at this point how they expect us to go from one story to another to yet another.

P.S. At no time did this blackout have ANYTHING to do with the storms that day - they came in much later in the day after this incident.

[edit on 3/1/2008 by Relentless]

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Hi everybody,

I just wanted to share with you something that I recently bought: a new portable generator of electricity made by a company called Medis, which has been producing the ONLY portable generator of electricity in the world.

This thing is the size of a bar of soap and when squeeze it will give you the power to power devices any time any where. The Medis will do three things simultaneously: 1. Power any cell phone you and your family or your business partners have. 2. It will give light to a flash light for more than 100 hours and 3. It will give you entertainment and news by providing power to a radio or MP3. I did some research and there is NOTHING in the world today that can do this simultaneously. And that is just the beginning. They invented the formula for creating and generating electricity in the safe, eco-friendly manner. Their technology does not produce heat, is light, it does not smell and it will empower the world.

You can get the device Amazon.com, but there is more information at www.medistechnologies.com...

Hope you find this useful!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join