It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What has meaning?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by indierockalien

Very good question, here is an answer that I have found to be more fitting than most I have heard or read about. Often, one will find the right meaning for them, along the journey we call life.

Three purposes for the return of souls to this world;
To collect into the soul the properties of all being
To acquire knowledge of all things
To acquire the power to overcome chaos

Three strange things in the world;
Loving war more than peace
Loving excess more than sufficiency
Loving falsehood more than truth

Man is three things;
Who we think we are
Who others think we are
Who we really are
Irish/Celtic Triads

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Meaningless can be used as a cause for depression or as a cause for creative enjoyment...depending on definition.

What do you think?

Yeah, this is EXACTLY why I started this thread. Because every idea has a good and a bad side.

I'm just wondering... on one hand, I'm incarnated in this form right now and have basically forgotten what it was like to be everything, so while I've forgotten, just knowing that there is no meaning, no right, no wrong, it almost makes you think that you can say or do WHATEVER you want in this life. You can be Jesus or you can be Jeffrey Dahmer, or anywhere in between, and it wouldn't matter. It would be like Grand Theft Auto or something. You can either complete your missions, or you can instead just go on a killing spree... and it doesn't matter because it's just fun and games, just a bored lonely person escaping his own truth to just expeience something new and interesting. GTA was a bad example. I stopped playing it after a while because the violence started really disturbing me.

But on the other hand, if you have the fortune/misfortune of KNOWING the end of the game....what it's all about... it's harder to enjoy. It's like... the whole point of playing a game or watching a movie is because it's exciting, and you don't know what's next... but when somebody spoils it for you, usually it at least partially ruins the gaming/viewing experience.

I'm not entirely sure whether to be depressed or feel completely free yet, because..... I feel like the mystery has been spoiled. Yet, I can't be all down in the dumps because there's still mystery for my human incarnation. It's just, in the back of my mind, the thought of being one infinite consciousness that just constantly creates and destroys realities in his mind seems very dreary and darkly psychotic..... reminds me of that creepy cartoon Salad Fingers.... and I dunno why. The idea creeps me out just as much as that cartoon.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

I like that saying. It's true. everything is always three things. What it thinks it is, what others think it is, and what it actually is... but maybe that's only for conscious intelligennt beings... although, I wouldn't put it past rocks to be conscious, because we know so little about what consciousness really is that we cannot say that rrocks are not conscious of their being., although probably not.

Either way, good stuff. Star coming to you..... and to pretty much all of the posts in this thread. I'm glad somebody ran into this thread.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   

We are the children of our creator God. Realizing this is the meaning. In that we should reconize the need to make ourselves every more worthy of the title if the title is what we truly desire. We would/should recoinze others for their achievements in that and that they are all our close family. In that we'd love each and everyone.

Even in realizing your worst enemy, even if they are the most "evil" person on the earth, is your brother or sister only that retarded or slow brother/sister.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Buck Division

Originally posted by indierockalien
I think that the reason people didn't answer my post is because I pose more questions than I do answers.

The reason you are not getting many responses is that ATS is flooded, mostly with garbage. (No indictment intended here. I'm generating my share of garbage also.)

However, there are a few gems, like this thread, which make it worth the effort to dig. Be assured, this is a great post and your questions give me great pause. I will be pondering this thread for a while, and will be referring back to it.

Starred and flagged!

Once again, I give thanks to you, Buck, and everyone else involved in this discussion. I many times don't post my big thoughts on here.... I mean, if I did, I'd have like at least two threads a day. Like you said, people like to argue about the same silly stuff over and over again.... like sure we all know 9/11 was fishy, but until you get a formidable army of former high ranking military and federal officers and agents together, and you storm CIA headquarters with your garage built death ray UFOs, nobody's gunna get the lid off of iit with only a crowbar and FOIA documents. Aliens, they logically MUST exist, and the amount of eyewitness testimony.... you can't keep denying these things, but like I said, until you can storm the CIA and the NSA with a formidible arny and advanced weaponry, you're not gunna get your smoking gun proof that convinces everybody of these things....

But consciousness, we all have it at our disposal all the time. We can sit and analyyze and decontruct and reconstruct it all day everyday for the rest of our lives if we wanted to, and this is why I've come to believe that philosophy and the study of consciousness is THE most important area of academia that ever was. Consciousness makes our reality real. If we understand consciousness, we can understand the makeup of our reality better, and wouldn't have to think of rediculous scientific fixer-upper theories to fill in the gaps where experimentation and observation can't reach. I was watching The Universe yesterday, the episode about dark matter.... and like I'm sitting there and I'm going "Wait, they say these mysterious invisible particles MUST exist, yet every experiment for the past century has failed to detect any ounce of credibility to these theorietical "unobserveable" particles. I think where astrophysics falls short, the study of consciousness and deep philisophical concepts takes over and basically nullifies all previous scientific notions. Einstein's idea of an "equation for a theory of everything" could be explained, with the final answer being consciousness.

There are so many possibile avenues to travel down when dealing the questions I've set forth. I mean, if it's enough for me to ponder these things til I'm blue in the brain... maybe they are questions worth asking.

Thanks again, my peepz. I'm so tired. I got home from work at 1:30am. I wanted to see how my thread was doing before I passed out though.

See ya tomorrow, ATSers.

Meaning is what motivates our consciousness to think.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Incarnated

I have a lot of empathy towards evilness. I can understand where it comes from. Which makes me a very forgiving person. If we are all one, then you should be able to see part of yourself in everyone, even someone like Hitler, or a rapist, or a biggot, or a serial killer. Even bad men deserve to be treated with respect.

I can't say I agree with evil. I sometimes get very angry towards the evil in society, and I sometimes wish I could just make the bastards pay for what they've done... but what always stops me is when I make a little foul here and there, or I remember a time when I acted a little crooked or shady... and although the magnitude is larger, the reasons for why people choose to be cruel and greedy are almost always the same. The same reasons we've done wrongs in our life... although not as extreme as let's say Hitler's mass genocide.

I duno where my thoughts are going right now. Down the drain, I'm afraid. I'm exhausted from work. Once again, see you mother lovers tomorrow

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   
As far as I am concerned it is all about the body, to be deeply relaxed. And when you are deeply relaxed it is then that you feel most connected to everything and that things become clear. I am not that interested in meaning or purpose, but in simply being and being relaxed. Ohmmmmm

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by QueenofWeird
As far as I am concerned it is all about the body, to be deeply relaxed. And when you are deeply relaxed it is then that you feel most connected to everything and that things become clear. I am not that interested in meaning or purpose, but in simply being and being relaxed. Ohmmmmm

Excellent post. Getting out of the ever computing-questioning-analyising-intellectualizing mind and relaxing the body...

...which gets you closer to home more quickly than endless thinking.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join