It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Miami police plans urban test of Honeywell's micro-UAV

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Video: Miami police plans urban test of Honeywell's micro-UAV

flightglobal.com

Police in Miami, Florida want to find out whether a small unmanned air vehicle able to hover and stare can help law enforcement in urban areas.

The gasoline-powered gMAV has just received an experimental airworthiness certificate from the US Federal Aviation Administration, clearing the way for the ground-breaking experiment. Approval was granted following a demonstration flight for the FAA at a remote site in Laguna, New Mexico.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.youtube.com
www.honeywell.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Honeywell drone being deployed for law enforcement and will be for the military in couple of years.
Spy planes to recharge by clinging to power lines
honeywell micro air vehicle for police

[edit on 26-2-2008 by TrueAmerican]

[edit on 26/2/08 by JAK]

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
"Honey?"

"Yes Dear?"

"What's that noise I hear outside our bedroom window?"

"Oh, that's just another one of those flying police drones shooting more footage for next week's episode of "Citizens Uncensored. Shall we?"

I mean come ON. WTF. I swear to God I ever see one of those and I'll shoot it. Fine take me to jail.

Fingerprints, tattoos, eye scans, warrantless wire-tapping, cameras everywhere, cities being turned into prisons. And now rural neighborhoods. The power to police never included all this BS.

"Oh, but we're just going to use it to...."

You know what, I don't give a damn what you're going to use it for. Enough is enough. This is infuriating.

Maybe in the military, but this is over the top. You want revolution? You just keep crap like this coming.

flightglobal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[Mod Edit: Format - Jak]

[edit on 26/2/08 by JAK]

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Oh my god!!!!

THIS is just getting silly!!!

Sure, i've got NO problem at ALL with REAL law-enforcement, carried out by WELL MEANING, proffesional cops.

But jeeEEeese, they've already shown there are to many "BAD APPLES" to be giving them anymore "tech".

Tasers, CS gas, have all been "over-used" in MANY unearving cases.

I'll bet they can't WAIT to fit this thing with Tasers, Pepper spray, tear case for crowd control.......

HELL!!! They might even stick a GUN on it, ...heh...yeeeah!! that'll be great.....

Headline: Cop shoots dead a youth for shop-lifting. In a statement he said..." duh! well Jeeese man, I guess i musta hit deh wrong button man!!

And as for protests, they could just fly above and drop tear gas or spray CS.

Very unearving, great peice of Tech. but still unearving nonetheless.

P.S.

"Oh, that's just another one of those flying police drones shooting more footage for next week's episode of "Citizens Uncensored. Shall we?"

"Citizens Uncensored". Thats very funny..
Top marks

Peace

AoN

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Anomic of Nihilism

lol, well yeah, a desperate attempt at humor is all I have left with stuff like this. It is scary no doubt, the potential for further abuse of power. What happened to the good old days of Andy and Barnie?

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Is there anyone here who actually likes this idea, to use this against the public, that is not a police officer or part of the NWO?

This is straight out of half-life 2.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I would love to know the areas that they are planning to test this out in...
Overtown, Liberty City???

When I had read this story, I was surprised but put it to the back of my mind, however after hearing Homeland Security yesterday say they're watching us for "looting and rioting" I fear that the government is breeding, fostering, and expecting the atmosphere of "rebellion and anarchy" in Florida... namely South Florida.

It doesn't help that that we have a great disparity between the rich and poor here with a fleeing middle class due to ridiculous home prices and taxes and rising cost of living. Florida has it fair share of ghettos just like everywhere else but why does it suddenly seem we are more susceptible to crime than before? What changed?

btw I'd love to see one of these things in action, so I can take pictures and have Homeland Security ring my doorbell

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Starred and flagged... a brave new world... old, old comic book... Robot Fighter. Miami? Hmmm. What's in Miami? Hmmm. Got R/C? How about guns. Great
OP, nicely rounded. I wonder exactly how it will be deployed... I see the potential for some "good" but I can sure see how one might feel if they live in Miami.

I can see where this sort of thing will continue as news for some time to come.

vic

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Thermal and night vision technology used by the military is now used by law enforcement to combat crime. Why should this be alarming? Be great to know where criminals are running off to. Same thing finding criminals in the woods trying to hide from helos equipped with thermal.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Heh, well good input, ww, but once this is approved in Miami, it will set the new standard, and it will spread like wildfire to other cities. But even worse, they can use this in rural communities too. Won't be long before the little towns have them. I say let's nip this in the bud before they even get off the ground with this idea. I am sick of giving my tax dollar to be spied on period, much less in a manner like this.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Thermal and night vision technology used by the military is now used by law enforcement to combat crime. Why should this be alarming? Be great to know where criminals are running off to. Same thing finding criminals in the woods trying to hide from helos equipped with thermal.

And when we just keep letting them do whatever they want, and they decide that all homes must now include microphones and camera feeds into the police station, at taxpayer expense, that'll be fine too, right deltaboy? :shk:

Where does this end? The military is one thing, but this is just BS.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize that police don't have the right to respond to advancing hi tech, well equipped, and intelligent criminals. For example upgrading from 9mm handguns and shotguns to firing AR-15 assault rifles against criminals who tend to equipped themselves like heavily armed soldiers. Like for example the North Hollywood shootout.

Look almost like a warzone. 2 men against an army of cops. They sure were prepared. Too bad overwhelming force counter that.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

I am quite familiar with the incident, and have already seen all those videos. Now would you please explain to me how a micro-UAV would have been of any further assistance in this matter? I mean hell, if it gets that bad they should probably just end the situation with a hellfire or something like that. They already had them cornered, there were choppers up above providing video feeds, so why in the HELL are they going to waste MORE of my money on this BS?

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Much as I might want to bait you just a bit and support this, I feel too strongly against government intrusion into personal liberties to give into my fondness for provocation.

Instead I think I will agree with Ron Paul on this one:

Do we really want to live in a world of police checkpoints, surveillance cameras, and metal detectors? Do we really believe government can provide total security? Do we want to involuntarily commit every disaffected, disturbed, or alienated person who fantasizes about violence? Or can we accept that liberty is more important than the illusion of state-provided security?

Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.

www.house.gov...

While I do not begrudge law enforcement any tool that will make them safer and more efficient, the potential for abuse is the same as for other methods of "domestic surveillance".

If nothing else this forum helps to keep us informed on some of the steps that may be necessary if you do not wish for big brother to observe what you are doing.

I'm currently budgeting to tin foil my attic.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Well let me see...if there is no helo support, might as well use UAVs. Something similar to Iraq. Don't have enough helos to cover a large area of operations.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by kerontehe

Much as I might want to bait you just a bit and support this, I feel too strongly against government intrusion into personal liberties to give into my fondness for provocation.

WTF? If that's what you're here for pal, you're are most definitely barking up the wrong tree. Cause I have no problem shooting my own dog, yours, or anyone else's.

If nothing else this forum helps to keep us informed on some of the steps that may be necessary if you do not wish for big brother to observe what you are doing.

I'm currently budgeting to tin foil my attic.

Yeah well, with a bunch of these things flying around, you'd better budget for extra thick curtains and tinfoil on your windows too. It's like the US spending a gazillion dollars on arming Saddam only to have to spend another trillion years later taking him out. Idiotic. STOP wasting my money for your creepy spying, is the point of this thread.

[edit on 27-2-2008 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   

We didn't spend gazillion dollars arming Saddam. Don't know where you get that idea. The U.S. did support him providing intelligence and so on. But not any weapons. Notice that most of the wrecks and abandoned weaponry are French and Russia. Iran would be the one that the U.S. has been selling weaponry to.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

I disagree that we did not spend money arming them. I personally witnessed Iraqi pilots being trained by USN pilots back when they were our ally.

Though I readily admit that diplomatically speaking, countries do not have allies, only "interests".

Diplomacy is a way of saying "nice doggie" until you can locate a suitable stick.

Back on point - the manufacturer of these UAVs has reported to have already tooled to a manufacturing capacity of 100 units a month. How are you going to restuff Pandora's box.

The next logical step is to arm the UAVs.

[edit on 2/27/0808 by kerontehe]

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Since UAV's are rather easy to take down within certain ranges. Increasingly so within urban constraints.

I wonder what the penalties are gonna be for taking one down with personal reasoning of trespassing, peeping, or just about any other reason that people can't go around looking in your window legally.

Gonna be some interesting times ahead with these things, I can't wait to see one zippin around my neck of the woods...that'd be real fun.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

We didn't spend gazillion dollars arming Saddam. Don't know where you get that idea. The U.S. did support him providing intelligence and so on. But not any weapons. Notice that most of the wrecks and abandoned weaponry are French and Russia. Iran would be the one that the U.S. has been selling weaponry to.

Umm...

www.informationclearinghouse.info...

How The United States Illegally Armed Saddam Hussein

A Report From Democracy Now, The Journalist Who Broke The Iraqgate Scandal That Involved President George Bush, James Baker And Donald Rumsfeld"

With Iraqi President Saddam Hussein insisting that Iraq no longer has weapons of mass destruction we are going to spend the rest of the hour looking at how the United States helped illegally arm Iraq in the 1980s.

It was a scandal that took on Tom Clancy-like proportions: It involved a president, George Bush the First; future Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld; the current FBI head Robert Mueller and, in a minor role, even Henry Kissinger.

Over 10 years ago a reporter for the Financial Times named Alan Friedman uncovered the shocking story. He revealed that:

* President Bush and Secretary of State James Baker had committed billions of taxpayer dollars to assist Saddam Hussein.
* Bush and Baker allowed the export of U.S. technology that would directly help Baghdad build a massive arsenal of chemical, biological and possibly nuclear weapons. The arms were given to help Iraq fight Iran.
* The CIA helped orchestrated illegal arms deals that involved Pinochet supporters in Chile, the apartheid regime in South Africa as well as most of the major NATO allies in Europe.

All of this was to prop up a man that President Bush and later his son would compare to Hitler.

"If the United States and its other allies had not provided a steady and thorough and substantial buildup of Iraq through the 1980s and right through Operation Desert Storm, Iraq today would not be a country with vast mobile missile launchers, good inertial navigation missile technology, rough, crude radioactive potential plutonium, chemical and biological weapons technology, and an assortment of other hardware and arsenal they've had," Friedman told Democracy Now!

That's just one link. I have also read (elsewhere) that we were the ones supplying him with chemical and biological weapons. Shall I go dig that up too?

[edit on 27-2-2008 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Umm all I see is a bunch of bull, except the part that the U.S. helped Saddam. Mobile launchers? Guess the writer forgot to include that they are Russian Scuds. Nuclear weapons? Well that would be France trying to help Iraq on that. Good thing the Israelis blew it to hell. Using past history of the CIA in hopes of making a good argument on this so called Iraqgate scandal.

"If the United States and its other allies had not provided a steady and thorough and substantial buildup of Iraq through the 1980s and right through Operation Desert Storm, Iraq today would not be a country with vast mobile missile launchers, good inertial navigation missile technology, rough, crude radioactive potential plutonium, chemical and biological weapons technology, and an assortment of other hardware and arsenal they've had," Friedman told Democracy Now!

[edit on 27-2-2008 by deltaboy]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join